Home Technical Talk

Glitch in Maya 2012?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
tristamus polycounter lvl 9
Heya guys,

I recently upgraded to Maya 2012. I was working in a scene in 2011 that worked just fine, but now, in 2012, some of my textures on my models only appear white, with a normal map applied.

I don't know what's going on, as it had worked fine in Maya 2011.

When I view it with viewport 2.0, some textures are fine, and some are strange.

I don't know if this matters, but I have a layered texture set-up, and nothing about the materials / textures are different from 2011 to 2012!

Another very weird thing that happens too, is when I try to copy a material from my hypershade and paste it, it creates the copy, but it also at the same time creates a duplicate model that that material is on. WTF??

I can't post pictures because it's for an art test, but I truly need help with this as much as possible. Have to finish it in 2 weeks!

Replies

• claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    tristamus wrote: »
    Heya guys,

I recently upgraded to Maya 2012. I was working in a scene in 2011 that worked just fine, but now, in 2012, some of my textures on my models only appear white, with a normal map applied.

I don't know what's going on, as it had worked fine in Maya 2011.

When I view it with viewport 2.0, some textures are fine, and some are strange.

I don't know if this matters, but I have a layered texture set-up, and nothing about the materials / textures are different from 2011 to 2012!

Another very weird thing that happens too, is when I try to copy a material from my hypershade and paste it, it creates the copy, but it also at the same time creates a duplicate model that that material is on. WTF??

I can't post pictures because it's for an art test, but I truly need help with this as much as possible. Have to finish it in 2 weeks!

Maya 2012 came out yesterday, If it is that critical you should definitely retreat to your last stable environment. With any release never migrate in the first day. Poke around first.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough wrote: »
    Maya 2012 came out yesterday, If it is that critical you should definitely retreat to your last stable environment. With any release never migrate in the first day. Poke around first.

You're right. I inevitably came to that conclusion myself. Ah well!! =\
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Keeping both installs you still get to have fun in Maya 2012 at least?
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    delete the color set on those objects shoudl fix it...
    color --> color set editor --> delete
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    claydough wrote: »
    Keeping both installs you still get to have fun in Maya 2012 at least?

tried that with Maya 09 and 11, it caused some issues when 09 was eventually uninstalled (11 wouldn't even be recognised among the list of programs on the computer due to both being called Maya.exe (or something)). Then you have to re-install 2011 or you have to import all scenes from then on (no double-clicking the mb file, no auto-import obj's).

Apart from that, you used something called Maya 2012 and didn't expect anything bad? :shifty: At least it isn't the end of the world because you can wind the clock back a year to 2011.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »

DEFINITELY will try that later!! Thanks dude!
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu wrote: »

Oglu, I just wanted to say that your tip was THE EXACT SOLUTION to my problem. Amazing!!

Just wanted to thank you. Take care =)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    great to hear...
    cheers...