Home Technical Talk

Bringing a mesh into shape

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone,

This forum is awesome.

I've made a mesh, and while making it I concentrated mainly on topology and less on form. I tried to copy Scott Eaton's base mesh so I can have a mesh to use while sculpting in ZBrush. I think I did fairly well, but now I'm facing a new challenge - bringing it to a perfect human shape.

I'm not sure if this step is usually done in Maya/3DSMax/XSI/Choose your own, or is it done in sculpting software like ZBrush.

I'm planning on doing it on ZBrush, but I'm new to this and would at least like to hear what more experienced users do.

Thanks!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think the current trend with sculpting is to get the form down first, then worry about the topology afterwards. That said I've had times where having a nicely topologized basemesh can help quickly pump out an array of minor characters.

As for shaping the thing, it's a preference thing. Sculpting applications usually make it really easy to push and pull the verts around to get the shape you want. But if you're comfortable in a standard 3d app, there's no reason you couldn't do the work there (especially if it has some proportional falloff tools).

You may want to check the wiki out as it has several good basemeshes for download.
    http://wiki.polycount.com/BaseMesh
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there.

If you are going to be bringing a base mesh into zbrush, I would advise you to make sure that the mesh is in pretty good shape before you start sculpting. You would essentially be polishing a turd.

Of course I'm no character artist, someone may disagree with me. Try making a post in "pimping and previews" of what you've got and see if you can get some good suggestions to get your base mesh in good shape.

A picture of what you have to work with would probably help you get a better answer here as well.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I basically copied this:
    http://www.pixologic.com/zclassroom/artistinaction/scotteaton/modeling/images/baseMesh.jpg

I have more or less an identical topology. The form is generally the same. Only it's not proportional, and not yet human-like.

I gotta say I'm having a good go with ZBrush on the forming side. I mean, I'm not subdividing it yet, I'm just working on the base mesh itself, trying to make it seem more proportional, anatomically correct, etc. It's working kinda nice so far. I'll have pictures to post as I move along with this.

Thanks for the advice guys. :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    you can actually polish turds gsokol
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBj6PonX14A[/ame]

my base meshes are fairly detailed
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I mean, I'm not subdividing it yet, I'm just working on the base mesh itself, trying to make it seem more proportional, anatomically correct, etc.

Sounds like you're already doing it better than half of the people who first start digitally sculpting :P
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Sounds like you're already doing it better than half of the people who first start digitally sculpting :P

:)

Well, I've got some experience sculpting traditionally, and I've been around 3D long enough to understand the principals.. it took me a while to understand the logic behind making the base mesh before starting to sculpt, but now that I do, I'm taking a shot at it.

Here's the finished result:
    basemesh1.jpg

Well, it's not perfect (especially the palm of the hand and all the fingers! how do I get them to flow right?! it's so jaggy and doesnt flow well).

I guess it'll do for now. Proportions-wise, I managed to take it to be nearly identical to Scott's. I THINK the mesh itself is identical except for the inside of the mouth, bottom of the feet and maybe something in the armpit area that I couldn't see very well.

This was extremely educational. I recommend anyone who didn't do such a thing... to have a go. I'm gonna make a Doryphoros copy out of this, hopefully it'll come out good.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks pretty solid.

I stand corrected about polishing a turd (Ruz's video helped a little too) Haha.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that I've started to pose it, I'm amazed at how easily it works. I now understand much better the importance of a good base mesh. It's so much clearer hehe.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a WIP update on the sculpture.
    It's going good except for the fingers on the feet and hands... they're a real pain.
    Posting it now since I might not have time to work on it any longer, it's a school project. Either way, I'll be happy to hear critiques!

doryphoros%20wip.jpg