Home Technical Talk

ZBrush Filetype Shenanigans

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
I've just started learning ZBrush over the past few days and after spending a few hours working on a rock formation I wanted to install Decimation Master to start the baking process. So I press Control S to save like I would in any other program thinking it would save my ZTool to open after I restart ZBrush so Decimation Master will work. Turns out that Control S doesn't save the ZTool. I now have a ZBR file and a ZPR file. I was able to open one of them in ZBrush but it won't let me manipulate it or even rotate the camera. It's as if it's just a background image in the viewport. Is there any way I can turn one of these files into a Ztool so I can edit the rock and decimate it or am I going to have to start from scratch?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Ctrl+S saved the tool when I just tried : /
    http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/ZBrush_Projects

Sounds like you just saved the 2.5D document though if you can't edit it, which isn't going to let you manipulate the tool (if that's the case, its gone; get into the habit of saving the tool separately I guess). I think the best case scenario is that you were sculpting the formation as a plane and had it directly facing the 'camera' when you saved it / dropped the tool to the document, as then you can at least try to project that detail back onto a new tool and continue sculpting (either by converting the document to an alpha, or using matchmaker).
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I started it from a Box, not a Plane so projecting it isn't going to help much. I'll just restart it I guess. More experience. I was quite happy with the way that formation was turning out though.