Home Technical Talk

another building a new pcthread! advice on my parts list!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
i'm building myself a new rig that will double between gaming and music studio, also the ocasional art. trying to keep it on the line of old enough to not be crazy expensive, new enough to still play whatever i want.

heres what i'm thinking so far,

GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD5-B3 LGA 1155 mother board (the T.I. firewire chipset is esential to my studio.)
intel core i7-2600k sandy bridge 3.5 quad core proccesor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.629263

8GB wintec ddr3 ram http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161380

evga gforce gtx 460 1gb (one for now may sli another later on) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130568

western digital 80 gb sata 3gb/s for my os drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136195

western digital av-gp 1tb sata 3gb/s for storage
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136496

antec 900 case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

Antec Truepower 650w PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371021

ok, heres my concerns,
1. psu i used an online power calc that recommended at least 550 wats for my system so i went 100 over that, but a former co worker suggested i may need way more than this.

2. the 1tb hd does not list rpm instead it says AV, i am not sure what this is.

3. i wanted my boot drive to be a ssd but that was a bit out of my current price range, maybe i'll move to that later on.

4. is this vid card still beefy enough to play most current games? and how long will it hold me with and without getting a second one to sli?

well i thank you all for any info!

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a gtx 460 in my machine at work. Not that I should know...but it will run games just fine.

I doubt you'll need much more than you spec'ed for a power supply. 750 watt would probably be good (also what I have in my work pc).

Bummer on not getting an ssd. I don't have one myself but I keep hearing about how awesome they are.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your psu is fine unless you want to do some dumb stuff(like SLI, which isnt really worth it). The important thing is getting an 80+ certified PSU.

Get a bigger SSD, 80gb imo is too small for a boot disk, you'll want to put your most used apps, and current working art files on it, so get something that is at min 120gb.

460 is about the sweet spot here, you'll be fine with most/all games on this card for a couple years at least. Anything more and you're overpaying for diminishing returns.

Whats the deal with the wintec ram? One stick for $200+?? Pretty sure you do not want this, you want a 2x4gb DDR3 kit, which should cost you about $100. Once you sort this you should have room to budge on the SSD.

You may be able to save some money by going with a cheaper motherboard, and the standard 2600 instead of the 2600K, both if which will likely make no noticeable difference to the performance of your system. Instead of going with the combo thing, you save $25 there but you're overpaying for stuff you dont need, so it isn't really a good deal.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    @Earthquake, he doesn't even have an SSD on that list. That's just a 7200 RPM 80GB hard drive which seems kind of silly to me.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    @Earthquake, he doesn't even have an SSD on that list. That's just a 7200 RPM 80GB hard drive which seems kind of silly to me.

Oh, lol. What? Yeah, dont bother wasting your money on a 80GB sata drive, this is just silly. Partition off a chunk of a larger drive if you really need to, or get an SSD.

Chances are you can trim the fat here and get an SSD instead of super expensive ram/motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227551&cm_re=120gb_ssd-_-20-227-551-_-Product

$209, find a way to fit it in, you wont regret it.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Same Case as above $99

Same GFX Card as Above $199 - additional $20 mir

I7-2600 & MSI board $374

750w PSU $109

GSkill Ram 2x4gb $99 EMCKFKC44 - $25 off promo for ram

Syba 1394 Card 3ext + 1interior PCI-X $21

EQ Suggested SSD $209 - additional $30 mir

System = $1116

Fry's Electronics has standard hdd deals every week out here, you can probably get a 1tb for less than $80~ atm. I live right next to it if you want I'll check out the prices tomorrow and let you know. (Cases generally run cheaper there too)

Also I have an anti-static mat if you want to borrow it when you go to put it all together, and 3 extra tubes of Arctic Silver Compound.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes if you have a fry's nearby its often cheaper for PSUs and cases(heavy stuff) because of the shipping costs. However when I look at cases/psus on newegg I only search for items that currently have free shipping!
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    thanks guys, havent been able to check this over the weekend, but i'm going over it now while i have my coffee and wake up time. goina read thru all the suggested links and make some changes to my list
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    and 3 extra tubes of Arctic Silver Compound.

why so much Arctic silver? If you go overboard on thermal compound it doesn't do it's job and is probably detrimental.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    why so much Arctic silver? If you go overboard on thermal compound it doesn't do it's job and is probably detrimental.

new egg forgot it in the first shipment, sent a replacement, but it was over a weekend so i went to frys and bought a tube, to find the aftermarket cooler I bought came with one :P.

So once i used enough to do a proper coat, not really even a full tube (because yea, dab'll do ya). I had extras sitting around. Figured someone on pc or a friend would need one at some point.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    new egg forgot it in the first shipment, sent a replacement, but it was over a weekend so i went to frys and bought a tube, to find the aftermarket cooler I bought came with one :P.

So once i used enough to do a proper coat, not really even a full tube. I had extras sitting around. Figured someone on pc or a friend would need one at some point.

One thing that pissed me off a bit when I built this computer over a year ago was that when they shipped everything they just tossed the tube of thermal paste I ordered into a box full of peanuts with a few other things. Sure was fun finding that...
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    "4. is this vid card still beefy enough to play most current games?"

I just built a very similar system and it runs everything i throw at it, i was expecting slowdown in the Bulletstorm demo but it didn't even flinch.

Also i skipped the SSD in my current build due to budget, i do have load times, still feels fine. Although if i had used a SSD system in the past i have no doubt i would miss it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I have 2 GTS250 cards (friend sold me both for $150), which are much older and less powerful than the gtx460 you're planning on getting. But even still, I can run all current games at maxed out settings without a hitch. I don't think you'll have a problem.

I've tested the SSD drives and they're amazing. So like EQ suggests, get one if you can. I have a Sata Raid0 with 2x 250GB hdd's right now and it's fine for what I do. But in the future I'd like to upgrade with SSD.