Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Butcher and Friends Smile Time Variety Hour.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
EDIT: I haven't gotten anymore advice on this since the initial post, so I figured it might be better to start putting updates in the first post.

6/25
Back on topic, I've been working on the spec/gloss map for a couple days now, Im happy with the skin so far and I think I've made huge progress on the blood compared to where I was when I first posted. I still have a lot of tweaking to do between the gloss and spec (Like on the teeth and gums and to get the damn highlights right) but this is where it stands now.

pcbutcher15.jpg
pcbutcher14.jpg
pcbutcher16.jpg

Original Post:

Uhhh Hey there polycounters. Usual long time lurker first time poster here, who's finally ready to post something.
So I decided to start this thread for my work and general shenanigans.
Crits are always appreciated.

This first one is The Butcher, I havent done his weapon yet and Im still tweaking his textures. Sculpted in Zbrush, rendered in Marmoset.

pcbutcher7.jpg

pcbutcher6.jpg

pcbutcher5.jpg

pcbutcher4.jpg

pcbutcher.jpg

pcbucther3.jpg

pcbucther2.jpg

pcbucther1.jpg

Replies

• MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaked his textures, and I'm generally happy with his color map.I think the specular could use a bit more life in his body though. Also seams. Damn seams!

pcbutcher9.jpg

pcbutcher8.jpg

pcbutcher10.jpg

pcbutcher11.jpg

pcbutcher12.jpg
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    woah!

Could have did a little more under the stiches
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you mean the seam under the staples then yeah, I totally agree. I was going to sculpt a whole mess of gore along the seams but I ended up running low on time. I'll probably end up painting it in PS.
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks cool, but I think you need to do more work on the staples, and the texture wounds under it. Maybe some over growth and infected wounds? Also watch your specs.
  • makecg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    yeah the textures really bring it down.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to abandon this thread like that, school started to crush me and I ran really low on extra time. I hear everyone on the textures and I'm currently reworking everything, thanks for all the feedback. I'll post more as things develop.
    In the mean time I went back and finished up his accessories; Belt and chain mail skirt and his knife. I also went back and added a stomach chamber, so he can open up his stitches. Currently everything is just under 11k, though I'm pretty sure I can shave it down closer to 10k...

bucthermesh2.jpg

bucthermesh.jpg

bucthermesh3.jpg

These are quick tests in Marmoset. Textures arent final.

buctherknife.jpg

buctherchains.jpg

beltoc.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got his stomach interior welded to the wound seams. That was tedious...

butchermesh3.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on his skirt thingy a bit. Not liking the belt yet. Chains Im relatively happy with though.

skirtr.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Ive been going back and forth on the color map trying to get a solid base. I ended up going back into zbrush and painting a basic color map to start with. I also decided to go back and sculpt/paint the staples as well. So this is where I stand now. I feel like it's a ok so far a lot of things still need a lot more work though.

diffuse1.jpg
    ]
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where I am with the color map:

diffuse11.jpg

And how it looks on the mesh, Moving onto spec. Any glaring problems (Other then seams??

pcbutcher13.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump for Update
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Body finished, moving onto the knife and the belt/chainmail.

pcbucther17.jpg

pcbucther18.jpg

pcbucther19.jpg
  • throttlekitty
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! Still so much to do though.

Out of curiosity I popped him into max and used Xoliul's Shader.

vpgrabbutchersetuppersp.jpg

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there :)
    I like how this is looking so far. Perhaps you could push the specular a bit more? It is a touch too plastic looking at the moment? give the specular some more contrast and see how that looks :) Chainmail looks great too.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    That thing is gross. Definitely, the spec could use some work. Most people do not have shiny skin. I would suggest an orange or purple colored spec, depending on what you want. Also, the blood will stand out more. There are also some noticeable texture seams, mostly around the neck. If you care, i would fix those.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fir the feedback guys, when you say it look too shiny/plastic, Im assuming you two ate talking about the Max shots. Ive actually been having some trouble getting things to similar to Marmoset in Max. Im using the same textures in both apps but in Max everything still comes out super plastic.

@disanski- Thank you,I'll definitely try bumping up the contrast and see what happens,

@P442- HA! Thanks, if it;s gross then Ive been heading in the right direction. I'll try the new colors out and see how I like it.

This is an open question to anyone. In terms of Marmoset, which of the lighting presets do you suggest when your still working on your textures? Do you pick the default that looks best or do you try and get something that look great with all the lighting presets.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    How would you like waking up to that thing at the end of your bed?
    Something I noticed that I feel needs to be fixed though, the skin glossiness is too high, and the blood specular is too low.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nordahl- I dont know he looks like he could use a good cuddle. Dead on t about the balamce netween the skin and blood. Thanks

I cranked the blood on the spec map to 100% white and I dropped the skin to a darker gray on the gloss map. I also increased the contrast by 50% or so in the spec. I tried the purple and orange spec too, but it didnt sit right with me. Overall I think those tweaks were a success. I especially appriciate how much better the face looks with the new spec. Thanks all. I noticed the seams that i missed too. I'll clean those up at the end.
    Also for consistency sake I'm just gonna stick with Marmoset, and hope my dynamic lights start working again somehow...

Spec/Gloss
    map1gloss.jpg

screenshot50sq.jpg

screenshot49ej.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on the butcher's knife. Mostly Ive been concentrating on the blade itself.
    Going for a smooth stone type of feel with the spec, witha teensy bit more punch to help sell it.

No spec and with spec
    knifeu.jpg

The sculpt I did a while back.
    knifesculpt.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knife finished. Probably going to do an overall tweak when I have all the meshes together in one scene.

screenshot62d.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on his stomach lining, im going to add scratches and claw marks next...:poly121:
    screenshot1xz.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And Im gonna call the stomach done. I thought about making the scratches bleed but it didnt make too much sense when I thought about how it would probably be washed away by stomach fluids... Any who, almost done. Just need to make some blood bile and saliva alphas with my leftover UV space.

screenshot2ta.jpg
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey really looking good, are you going to add ribs shooting through or wrapping around at all?
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, the plan for the stomach chamber is actually to house a little girl character so Im not sure if that would leave enough space to do anything cool with bones coming through. Though the more I think about it, it would make the guts more interesting...
    Maybe little rib tips poking through the top area... its a good idea, I'll definitely consider it. Probably not immediately though, cause Im getting all kinds of burnt out working on this guy... After I pose him Im going to take a break, work on something else and then come back and do the girl. Thanks again for the idea :)