Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Battlefield heroes inspired model [WIP]

Hello everyone!

I am starting this thread because I would like some help and critiques on this piece I am working on.

I really enjoy Battlefield heroes but I always thought there was a lack of representation of... How can I say this? Beefier guys, such as myself in the game... So I decided to make a battlefield inspired self portrait!

I started out by playing the game (obviously) and getting some images as reference and inspiration such as these ones:

battlefield-heroes-characters.png

Battlefield_Heroes_trailer027.jpg

battlefield_heroes1.jpg

After a while, I made a quick sketch to see if I manage to replicate the feel and to see if a fat guy would look good in the BFH universe and still look like a part of it... So here are my sketches, one with a "default" clothing and the one next to it the clothes that I was wearing that day:

qQsW5.jpg

The proceeded to make the ortho sketches:

q3FNM.jpg

When all the sketching was done, I fired up Silo 3D and started modeling! I was using this project as a way of learning how to use Silo since I downloaded the trial version... I love trying out new software! :poly136: I dont know, there is something about learning how to do cool stuff that is really rewarding for me! :D

Anyway; While I was playing and modeling this guy I started thinking about how big should my tri-count be... After giving it some thought and downloading some TF2 models that I found on the internet I got to the conclusion that 4000 should be my limit... What do you guys think? Should I do more? Less? After modeling for a while I got this model to 4112, which was a bit over my initial budget but I would fix it in Maya soon!

amynk.jpg

I exported the model to an .obj and opened Maya so I would UV map it and fix some topology... So now the tri-count went down to 3934:

JutuN.jpg

5sd1K.jpg

XMOzu.jpg

But after taking another look at the models I can see that their diffuse isn't that detailed at all in the face and skin areas but the clothings are the ones that has real detail... So I am going to focus more on that...

Also, should I do the eyes as a separate object or should I just paint it in the diffuse?

Unfortunately I am going to have to work on another project but I will update this later tonight. I really want to make this a great piece so thats why I would deeply appreciate any comments, critiques and tips on what I should do with this model and textures!

Have a nice day guys and thanks for stopping by!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    To me it looks like they're using flat skin color with an AO-map multiplied over the diffuse. The only way you can tell with the eyes is to go in-game and actually check out the eyes on the characters, do they blink? wink? have facial animations etc etc.
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey chrisradsby, it certainly looks like that, Im going to bake some AO and check it out in a while... As for the eyes, I guess I gotta play it again! :P Thanks for the tips!
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, another Silo user :) If you like Silo, check out Modo too.

Looking at the sketches, I like the cloth folds on the casual guy much better. Maybe they can get sharper but the amount and frequency is right.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Try to keep you tessellation more even. You have allot of vertically long faces on the stomach for example. It's better to keep them square. For example, the foot looks like it's like 12-14 sides? Could easily be like 8.. Just small stuff like that, and you will get down to 3500 without problems.

As for the triscount in general. Just set one up, and then aim for that. Which you've done already (:

Keep it up!
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EmAr, I was actually thinking about trying out Modo. Specially now that the student version is down to 77 dollars during the spring sale. Ae the commands like Silo and Maya?

And strOlsson, yeah I see what you mean, tomorrow I'll give this guy a tweak but what did you mean that the feet are 12 to 14 sides? Didn't really get that... :P

Chrisradsby, after playing a couple of rounds, I don't really see them blinking but they do have facial expressions. They smile or frown and so on... So now I'm not really sure if I should model some eyes or not... I'm actually thinking the eyebrows might be a separate geometry from the model because that also changes quite a bit depending on the animation...

Thanks so much for the insights! I really appreciate them!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    A. yours B. what i meant (:

Skobidoba.jpg
  • Mr.Wednesday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson wrote: »
    A. yours B. what i meant (:

Skobidoba.jpg

Got it! :) Ill work on it later today and post the results! Thanks again! :D
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Hey EmAr, I was actually thinking about trying out Modo. Specially now that the student version is down to 77 dollars during the spring sale. Ae the commands like Silo and Maya?

I haven't used Maya much but it feels similar to Silo in terms of a clear interface. It is also much more stable than Silo :)