Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

(WIP) Old VW Van

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
ok this is my first attempt at modeling a vehicle... wanted to do something simple at least thats what i thought lol

anyways this is where i currently stand. and im really not happy with it.

its a high poly model not intended for anything.

right of the back i kno i have some pulls on the front. one right under the 2 front windows and the other on the pointy front thingy at the bottom... not sure why but i cant seem to fix them

any advice and/or critiques are much appreciated.

VW_Old.jpg

Vanwf.jpg
Van.jpg

Replies

• B Fatz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man it's a good start but a few things are jumping out at me -

-Headlights should be bigger
    -Bumper should be thinner
    -Wheel wells should be bigger I think
    -Bring up the bottom of the windows, they are more rectangular in the image
    -The door looks like it is too small, but if you fix the wheel wells and the windows i think this might sort itself out

The front pointy piece looks like its tacked on in yours, while in the ref its really more of a bump in the metal, not another piece. I would just get rid of it for now, focus on the rest of the vehicle and come back

I've never done a car before and I'm not positive of the proper order of things but I would block this entire thing out with simple shapes and get all the proportions correct before starting on anything too detailed.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    definitely a good start but here are some things to be aware of. your edges come to close in the middle, so it has a sharp seam which it shouldnt. that piece (the V type piece in the front), should also be part of the area beneath it. it may be a bit of a tweak of topology, but its best to have those attached so when you subd, it will look more natural. as far as the windows.. well, dont think u have to make this all out of 1 piece. detatch the windows so they do not have any blended geometry with the frame.

for proportion it may also help to get some blueprints.

1493-mid.jpg
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye u are right on all those things... Guess I got carried away. Then again I only spent like 2 hours on this. Shouldn't take long to fix. I can't seem to find more reference on this model cause I can't find the name, so I kinda been looking at different styles, that's prob why I'm all off on proportions. Thanx!! :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just saw that Sean. Thanx buddy. Will start from scratch with the blue prints.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no prob. and by the way it is a Volkswagen Type 2 T1

here is a better blueprint shot for ya.

vw-microbus.GIF
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blueprints.com?

do u have the other one in a bigger size?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    www.the-blueprints.com

and no that one was an Illustrator file.. u gotta pay for those. the screenshot they give u is only 500x500 or something.