Home Technical Talk

Zbrush's "wrapmode" for 2d applications

Does this exist somewhere? I really like how wrapmode forces whatever you're sculpting or painting to tile perfectly. But I'm missing a lot of the useful features of programs like photoshop. Filters, dodge/burn, LAYERS, all the things that would be great to go with this feature don't exist in zbrush (to my knowledge).

So, questions:

1. is there a live wrapmode type plugin for photoshop?

2. does paintstop plugin for zbrush work with wrapmode?

3. are there any 2d applications that have this feature?

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    the offset filter in photoshop would be the equivalent. just set both values to half your document size and repeat to return the document to normal.

and if you wanted to you could make some actions that make offeset act more like warp.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So there really is no 2d program with the same exact feature? Offset works good for turning photos into tiling textures, but is less useful when making hand painted textures. Maybe I'm wrong, is there a tutorial around here that instructs the use of the offset filter when painting a texture by hand?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    It shouldn't matter whether your using photos or textures.

Use the offset on your texture and hand paint over the seems. being careful not to paint at the edges else you spoil the tile. Offset again to test the tiling. Tweak if necessary.
  • nullfed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nullfed polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a quicky for hand painted stones using offset in photoshop:

1. Start with a new layer and paint a couple of stone/slab shapes using a neutral colour in the centre of the canvas:
    stonesA.jpg

2. I'm working on a 512x512, so offset this layer by about half (256)in each direction (the value doesn't really matter in this case so long as you are left with space in the centre of the canvas where you can paint more stones)

stonesB.jpg

When you are in the offset options, you can click and drag your canvas around and the values will update accordingly or you can use the sliders.

3. Repeat the process adding stone shapes and offsetting the result so you can get the blank areas into the middle of the canvas. This layer can be your main base layer.

stonesC.jpg

For ease of use later on, make an alpha of it and level the alpha so that you can CTRL+click it and get a solid selection from it when you need to.

stonesALPHA.jpg

4. Start adding your base colours in - in this case, the stones layer isn't opaque so colours will show through from underneath. Also, The strokes being fairly uneven means that there is variety of opacity in the stones themselves.

stonesD.jpg

5. Add some details to start picking out highlights and such. When it gets to the point where you have a few layers on the go, you can offset each one in turn until you're happy with it, but after a while I advise you to flatten a copy of your work into a single layer and then continue adding to it. Group your original layers underneath and go back to them if it goes wrong later.

If you use CTRL+F it will repeat the last filter (offset in this case) with the same values or CTRL+ALT+F will bring up the dialogue again with the same values in place.
    stonesE.jpg

6. Finished (not really!)
    stonesF.jpg

Have fun

Zbrush has a good panning tool that makes this process a bit more interactive, but i'm not that comfortable with the 2d painting tools compared to photoshop so this is what i use.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    really warp is just a interactive offset and if you wanted to you could make offset interactive too.

just make some PS action that nudge the offset in different directions
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks null, that's pretty helpful
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    im working on this like for a month
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81508&page=2
    im copiing the photoshop functionally (for now except of the paint functionality)
    completely in wrap mode

but still nobody here cares about it :D

edit: at the moment i'm working on a easier Filter framework so people can create their own filters.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arrangemonk: Learn to sell it better! I've opened that thread a few times, only to think 'why would I want a seperate program with a limited number of filters? What does it do better/differently than ps?' and move on. I'm downloading it now, I'll give it a go.
    Ofcourse, without painting at all, this still doesn't really do what the OP asked for, so we eagerly await that addition!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quick shout out to admins if they ever see this post, null's tutorial might be good for the wiki if there isn't something like it already in there.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    @MightyPea , i'm not selling the eggs without having a proper chicken yet.
    theres still alot of things to do