Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Cartoon Pirate Ship

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
Hey folks! Just looking for a bit of feedback for a cartoon pirate ship I'm working on.

ship01.jpg

ship02.jpg

ship03.jpg

ship04.jpg

After posting these I've just realised that door needs to be bigger.

Thanks!

Replies

• c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Thats one big treasure chest! Great start, hard to tell the proportions though without a character as scale reference.
  • Apophis3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty good its a nice start. The row boat on the back is kind of odd though, it would bang into the back of the ship pretty hard on the open water.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands your comment made me drop in a quick CAT character to show an example, which lead me to re-adjust a bunch of stuff, so thanks for that!

And yeah I'm a little unsure as the boat on the back, I liked the idea of it, but often it strikes me as odd. Felt like I had a nice space to fill, but maybe it'd be best to just have that curve showing.

ship05.jpg

ship06.jpg

ship07.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    rowboat doesn't bother me.

I dig the lanterns in the skull eyes, nice touch.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Wouldn't it be hard for the captain to steer with that massive sail in front of him?
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    Wouldn't it be hard for the captain to steer with that massive sail in front of him?

lol I was thinking the same thing. Also glad to see another using maya. :D
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was that at me? I'm using Max here, sorry!

I had a comment about the sails the other day, I'm honestly not sure what to do about that. I've found evidence suggesting that the person steering wasn't able to see and was just directed; and other evidence saying they could. I might have a fiddle and see what it looks like with the sails drawn higher at the bottom.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ship08.jpg

I've raised them up slightly, I don't know if it's enough though. But I do like the space it's created, it's now a lot less cluttered...
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah that's better imo too. and it looks like he'd be able to see under. If not it's more nitpicky now, whereas before it was obvious.

So most likely it depends on circumstance.

1st/3rd person captian might be bad. If it's controlled above 3/4 view it's fine.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first attempt at hand-painting textures. Finding it very difficult but incredibly fun.

pirateShip01.JPG
    pirateShip02.JPG

Just realised the banister hasn't repeated on those stairs.
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Lovely model! I'm pretty sure planks on the deck always run perpendicular to how you have them at the moment, just a small thing.

Edit: Oh, also check out the wiki for some tips on texturing your wood, you can see some examples of paintovers of my previous work there when I was learning: http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials .
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Yes this is a very nice model, how did you model it? From pictures or did you use any sort of blueprints?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Nice model, i love the scale of everything and the flared cannons :P I can't help thinking your wood texture comes across too soft though, try using a hard brush and adding in some highlighted parts along the edges. I made a video timelapse of painting a wood texture a month or two back if you would like to see it? im no expert though :P
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so the crazy bank holiday stuff is over now, so I'm back to working on this. I'm really struggling with a lot of the hand painted stuff, but it's very fun. My main problem before continuing is generally the colour of the ship as a whole. I've quickly coloured the whole thing using block colour to what I thought things should be like... but the whole thing just looks kind of... orange and bland. Any tips as to how to vary the colour would be helpful, thanks.

pirateShip03.JPG

pirateShip04.JPG

@snow Thanks, I've tried the planks the other way but everything looks kind of... odd. In terms of the proportions. Those texturing tutorials are really great, thanks for the link.

@frell Cheers, it was just from my head to 3D. I did a bit of research into different ships and their shapes; but mostly it was just having fun.

@gilesruscoe Thanks, that's been my biggest concern with this. The video would but really helpful.
  • linkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    Wesley, I don't know if you still looking for suggestions, but my tablet needed some dust cleaning anyway :)

pirate_ship_overpaint.jpg

1. Wood planks were aligned wrong. This may look unimportant, but its one of these little pieces that will help you to sell the whole thing.

2. Trims. You need to have them. If you can't have them modelled, then at least paint them on your texture.

3. Original beam looked weak. Also think about some sort of transition to the deck. Its another little thing that makes your work look solid and complete.

4. Original prow look boring. Get some references maybe. Also, possible topology fixes are shown in red.

5. Couple advices on hand-painted textures. These should be pretty much self-explanatory.

And one general advice - cartoon or not, find references!