Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Keybinds

passerby
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
passerby polycounter lvl 12
is there anyway possible to get xsi or silo style viewport navigation in 3ds haven't found a way to change mouse actions and set alt+Left to orbit alt+Middle Mouse to Pan and alt+right mouse to zoom.

since i haven't found a way to make it work in the customize UI dialog could it maybe be done via max script.

i also noticed some commands missing in the keys editor too like convert selection. i want to bind that to shift+asdf since i got my componet types set to asdf

Replies

• thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    perna wrote: »
    You can't change the viewport nav shortcuts. Just get used to the max ones, they're good, but for different reasons.

Im about to do a few animations for a friend on a character he has for a game.
    As I am a Maya/Motionbuilder (with Maya navigation settings) user, he sent me this without me even asking:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/plugins/mems-max2maya-maya-viewport-navigation-in-3ds-max

Im no genius or anything (no really, don't flatter me, Im not.. oh stop it you! :poly136:),
    but Im gonna try that plugin in hope of a viewport navigation shortcut, or controll change.
  • maze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im about to do a few animations for a friend on a character he has for a game.
    As I am a Maya/Motionbuilder (with Maya navigation settings) user, he sent me this without me even asking:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/plugins/mems-max2maya-maya-viewport-navigation-in-3ds-max

Im no genius or anything (no really, don't flatter me, Im not.. oh stop it you! :poly136:),
    but Im gonna try that plugin in hope of a viewport navigation shortcut, or controll change.

Hi, do you know if there is something like that but for maya? meaning max or xsi navigation in maya. I like mayas navigation with a mouse, but when I use it with a wacom pen I find it really hard to get speed up, because rotation of the viewport needs me to touch the pen to the surface of my tablet and I dont find this comfortable. I dont like to work with the mouse at all so if you know a script for this that ll be cool, thanks.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perna wrote: »
    You can't change the viewport nav shortcuts. Just get used to the max ones, they're good, but for different reasons.

They're right there. "convert to...". To restrict your search for the shortcuts, choose the "Editable Polygon Object" category.

thanks i found a plugin called switcher that got me maya style viewport navigation and i was abel to rebind the covernt selection controls just find thanks

now im just finishing up some tool binds.

is it possible to have a tool activated while holding a key.

for exemple something like holding Z than moving the mouse to do a extrude.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    maze wrote: »
    Hi, do you know if there is something like that but for maya?
    sorry, no idea:\
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    passerby wrote: »
    thanks i found a plugin called switcher that got me maya style viewport navigation and i was abel to rebind the covernt selection controls just find thanks

now im just finishing up some tool binds.

is it possible to have a tool activated while holding a key.

for exemple something like holding Z than moving the mouse to do a extrude.

no sticky keys in max.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update found a plug-in called switcher by digitalRaster which does exactly what i want with the camera controls, using the trial for now but i will check that script out when the trial expires since the license for Switcher is 85$ which i think is steep for just changing the controls.

im also thinking of trying a trial for maya out since i moved to max wanting to learn one of the industry standard 3d packages and freaking hate 3ds compared to my old silo+blender setup, and moved to 3ds since a friend of my moved to maya and was able to lend me the use of his max 2010 license.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    passerby wrote: »
    update found a plug-in called switcher by digitalRaster which does exactly what i want with the camera controls, using the trial for now but i will check that script out when the trial expires since the license for Switcher is 85$ which i think is steep for just changing the controls.

im also thinking of trying a trial for maya out since i moved to max wanting to learn one of the industry standard 3d packages and freaking hate 3ds compared to my old silo+blender setup, and moved to 3ds since a friend of my moved to maya and was able to lend me the use of his max 2010 license.

If your used to silo and blender your going to have to get through the hate period with either max, maya or xsi. They're just different.

So far as customisations go, Im trying to make max work more like silo, functions are smart and based on selection decide what to do.
    I posted a script a while back that mimics silo's merge, cut, and break tools.