Home Technical Talk

Polycount too high?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
Question for you if you have the time. Polycount for this guys should it be lower or you think am on the mark? Also join deformation loops any tips would be great :P

Cheers!

tricount.jpg

Replies

• thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    neh its not too high at all! its fairly tight! :D

before somebody pastes the .gif file showing 3 different cuts for deformation, I'd say you'll be well fine with just making the two loops you have at the elbow, go all the way around the arm.

I don't really see a problem in polycount or edgeloops made for animation or yadda yadda..
    but there could be problems with the way he wants to move, with those short stubby legs.
    thats more of an overall character design flaw than modeling. and hopefully it'll turn out well when you start testing the rig in an early stage.

meh, it's all good! :D
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You elbow and knee deformation is back to front!

You want NO middle edge on the inside of the elbows and backs of the knees - instead you want a big polygon that collapses.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Whether or not the triangle count is too high depends on what type of game your developing it for and what system you're developing for or range of PC users you're targeting.

Also what's with the giant ball.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    Whether or not the triangle count is too high depends on what type of game your developing it for and what system you're developing for or range of PC users you're targeting.

Also what's with the giant ball.
    Also depends on the importance of the character and how many will be on the screen? 500 tiny enemies or 1 giant hero-esk character? Will he always be facing the camera/player or will we see the back more often like a 3rd person view? or like Zip pointed out, RTS or FPS? 3px tall on the screen or 500?

As for the ball, I think that's just showing a close up shot of the thing on its head. Personally I think its inefficient and could be handled better with a quad sphere, easier to unwrap too.

I agree with Rick about the joints you should rig them up and see how they deform, it will be horrific at best.

I use a joint like this, which is a modified version of Ancient Pig's basic deformation tutorial, its pretty standard in the industry...
    Joints.jpg

And typically weight it like this:
    Joint02.jpg
    Also be mindful of where you place the joint, too far back and it clips pretty badly and doesn't really deform the outer part properly, too far in and stretches the outer part quite a bit more. Normally, right in the center works best.

You can optimize the backside to suit your needs but you really don't want a edge running through the collapsing part of the knee, elbow or fingers, it just makes a mess and is unnecessary.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think the ball is a glass helmet, kind of like an astronaut. In all I would agree with thatanimator.
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome feedback. Was a nice surprise when I read that this morning. So thanks very much everyone :)

cryrid Correct, its a helmet I should have said.

astror.jpg

Zipfinator I should have mentioned that this guy is for my folio and although I have no platform in mind I planned on him being the main
    character on a casual platform game for PC/360 Arcade. If I did stick him in game I was planning on up rezing the assests for this unity tutorial.

3d-platform-game-logo.jpg

http://unity3d.com/support/resources/tutorials/3d-platform-game

Mark Thanks for the tip about a quad sphere it never occurred to me but now you mention it I makes sense. Also huge thanks for the joints example its the best one I have seen and will be a HUGE help!

thatanimator Thanks buddy. Yeah I know what you mean I not my concept and I imagine that he will waddle if he walks but he will mainly use his jet pack to get around cause hes lazy :poly121:

Rick Stirling Doh! Silly me will be back later on with an update and rig test.

Thanks again everyone :thumbup:

Polycount help is all I got living out in the sticks!!!!
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK so I think I got the loops the correct way now :\

I checked out the quad sphere and am not sure if its the way to go? The lowest Tri count looks too blocky IMO and the next Sub-D up is too high. Maybe you wont notice its being block as it will be see through?

What you guys think I should go for

30333676.jpg

Thanks again.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    Rogue One wrote: »
    but he will mainly use his jet pack to get around cause hes lazy :poly121:

sounds awesome, ship it! :poly108::thumbup:

would love to see him being able to open his mouth up!
    looks like you might have something prepared eh eh?:poly124: