[FIGHTER] Waku Waku 7, MAURU, Bal

Bal
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Bal polycounter lvl 17
I'm gonna remake Mauru(&Mugi) from Waku Waku 7 :
mauru_breath.gifmauru_intro.gifmauru_intro2.gifMauru_lost.gif

brawl_mauru_00.jpg

I want to keep a similar style, obviously the transition to 3D will change it quite a bit.
I will mess around with their designs though, Maura will become more of a fat demon, and the girl will be more emo-goth or something, with a whip probably.
Still have to find more ref and sketch around some more to find the right designs, I have plenty of stuff for the girl, but hard to find reference for what I want for Mauru.

Quick sketch, will work more on the designs later :
brawl_mauru_01.jpg

Initial basemesh for Mauru (just used some zspheres at first, then retopologised in 3DCoat) :
brawl_mauru_02.jpg

Little start on the sculpting :
brawl_mauru_03.jpg

Gonna try and get some work done on the girl asap before I go to far on Mauru, to make sure they work together.
Any crits are welcome!

Replies

• ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looking so cute and cool. Definitely following.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Haha, great choice! I'm not the only one guy that likes Waku Waku 7. Mauru it's great, I love to play with him.

Man, as a tip, I like to say to you not rush the concept stage. I know we have this hurry, want to go 3d ASAP, but concept part is fundamental to make the entire thing works. Think more about your monster, about the girl, why they are wearing strange clothes, why she has a whip. How is the relation between them, how is their personalities. How did they meet? What they're looking for? What they are fighting for? Know better your chars on this stage of development.

I know it can sound boring, but I think this kind of concern is important to make stronger pieces at the end.

Looking forward for more, man.
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    love the design so far. I agree with jramauri about the concept/design first. I am alway guilty of jumping into the 3D as well.
  • obeyurnapster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obeyurnapster polycounter lvl 9
    Hey , good to see a known face here ! Good luck man ! ;)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys. :)

jramauri, you're right of course, it's one of my weaker points, I'm often too quickly satisfied with my initial stuff, and always afraid I'll be short on time (especially since I'll be absent a week or so due to a business trip to China during the contest).

So anyways, my basic idea for a back-story, was that these are the characters after the ending you can get in the game. Mugi grows up, goes through an emo-goth phase with a slight mean streak, and ends up bullying Mauru to go back out with her and hunt for the Balls to grant all her petty teenage wishes. Maura goes bad because of her evilness and turns demonic.

Anyways, here's a bit more work on Mugi :
    brawl_mauru_04.jpg

Have to find some more 3D reference to transfer this all to 3D.
  • kd4sh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    omg they are so cute!

big challenge to make them work in 3D! nice reconcept
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    nice progress, keep going!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Hehe, nice storyline. I like their concepts, man. But I think Mauru is still too cute for a demoniac creature. Looking forward for more.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys!

Still working on this when I can, was kind of slowed down by various stuff, (mostly Shogun 2 and general laziness), but now that I've conquered Japan I'm gonna try and pick up the speed a bit.

Here's some work on Mugi :

brawl_mauru_05.jpg

Still need to work quite a bit on the face, I'll probably switch her skirt for another design. Also need to finish her coffin-backpack.
    Gonna try to get more work done on Mauru now, see if I can make him look more demonic.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    very slick Bal, love the style.

If in doubt about demonic nature of a creature add more skullz and spikez™ Games Workshop cant be wrong :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks seth. :)

Bit more work on Mauru, not quite sure what I'll be doing with his gear, thinking of giving him some kind of goth-gauntlets or something... will see.
    I've also worked a bit on his mouth and teeth, as I want to be able to open it up with some blendshapes or a few joints once I'm done (he can shoot beams out of his mouth in the game!)

brawl_mauru_06.jpg
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor greentooth
    This is looking great! Characters are so well executed from concept to 3d :)