Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] Killer Instinct - Fulgore - Wizo

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
wizo polycounter lvl 17
Hi!

So I'm going for a kind of Fulgore met starcraft with a crush of mortal komat. Trying to put more emphasis on the fluid powering the character.

With soft mecca and lots of tubes its going to be a good practice for zsphere pipepline

current progress:
Wizo_Fulgore_BeautyShot.jpg

concept: updated version 2

PC_BRAWL_Concept_Fulgore_13.jpg

Replies

• mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    happy to see someone is doing Fulgor. Good luck man.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    mjackson126 - thanks for the support man

jackstrap!
    Blocking01.jpg
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    The concept is pretty cool. The glowing parts will look great.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thx nightFlarer! - Its hard not to overdo the glowing bits its so much fun to draw : )

Here's an update on the concept, going to modify my base mesh to fit corrections, let me know what you guys think. Still fulgore right?

laterz!

PC_BRAWL_Concept_Fulgore_05.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    more blocking out
    fulgoreBlockoutWizo.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    polishing the blockout, mesh extracting, clipping, trimming, spinning around the model.... not sleeping lol

update!

PC_BRAWL_Fulgore_Blockout_02.jpg
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Badass. I'm glad to see one of my favorite games getting a revamping. I can still hear the noises this dude makes when he's fighting. You're doing great justice here sir! Looking forward to the next progress shot.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    darbeenbo- haha those sounds were so cool, made me love the character even more! It was like contolling a tank that could jump and dragon punch, 10 000 pounds at blazing speed XD. Thanks for the support, I appreciate it!

Here's some progress, added more weight to the character (AKA inflat), also was trying to push the MK 'Cyrax's vibe to the guy. The proportions are pretty much blocked for now, but if you guys see something wrong or have ideas how to make it look better, C&C are very welcome.

fulgore_progress_03.jpg
  • NuclearWarrior
    Cool re-design and the model is coming along really nice. I like how the tube on the back of his head keeps the silhouette of the original pony-tail, yet it's something different - the tube actually makes a lot more sense than a ponytail anyway he he.
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    interesting redesign. The boots don't really fit the overall look of him at the moment IMO.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    thanks guys!

beta_channel-agreed I tried something different.. let me know if it works better.

Next i'll be adding more details to the sculpt to finalize the shape.

After that I'll be retopoing everything in max.gulp!

Capturedcran2011-03-23074229.png
  • TheRedFish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRedFish polycounter lvl 8
    looking pretty sweet so far, bicep looks a little wonky though
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    TheRedFish - yeah...I usually struggle a lil longer to get ok volume.
    UPDATE
    As always, not too satisfied with the concept. Also, I will be taking some on-line concept classes starting next week (futurepoly !yay), so that will be a major bottleneck in the time I have for brawl.. but any free time outside of class I'll try to squeeze in some modeling.

I won't pressure myself to finish this but I did already have a deal of fun watching the awesomeness from all the brawl entries. Here's what I've been doing in the past week:

PC_BRAWL_Concept_Fulgore_13.jpg

I'll start from what I had and tweak things around to get a rough sculpt. Still got a week to do as much as I can on this
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Blockin'out:

fulgoreBlockoutWizo-2.jpg

...must sleep. Might be able to take it hi-rez...if im not too lazy
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    that concept is pretty badass
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good so far. love the tubing. You might want to be careful of the "bumpy" look the standard brush can give us. Great job, keep going!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    LRoy - Many thanks cheers! : )

mjackson126- thks!
    Yeah the shapes were really rough... thats why I decided to go in max and model old school style on top of the zbrush sculpt, then detailling that into max.

update on the mask...spamming support edges...everywhere
    oh god what time is it? it feels like I've been awake for 2 days..
    sweet sleep.

night fellows

HeadDetailing-1.jpg

Detailing-Copy-1.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Update !

I put some work on the body, I'll need to detail the arms, feet and back next. phew!

Fulgore_Detailling_Views.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    ..updated! (and still tons to add... sigh )

Detailing2.jpg
  • foche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, amazing modeling so far man!!! keep it up!!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    foche - Thx man!

Not baked yet, still needs some polish, but I did assign some materials to get a bit of colors on the model
    (image removed)
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    update!

its been a while, I've done the low-poly and got a bake in crysis, here is pretty much what it will be looking like:

Fulgore_Crysis_00.jpg

I can't figure out if its better to leave it clean, or just dirt it up...the first fulgore was very cleaned and it kinda gave him a can't be damaged look. But then again maybe its better to damage it up and make some variation going on... any tips greatly appreciated. thx

Wires-5.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    i gotta say man this is really nice. It'd be cool to see some more color/specular separation on him though.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Dan, I'll try to break it up,I had a light setup going on so maybe thats killing some of the color.

I kinda want him to have that stealthy camo look so I'll play with the materials and colors a that more while keeping that in mind.

Thanks for the input. Here is a shot with ambient light in-game, maybe more readable. skinning is in progress, I've been looking for an hour for an auto-skin script XD..no luck yet.

anyone knows how to change the background color in crysis?

Fulgore_In-editor-1.jpg
  • Kokoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kokoff polycounter lvl 5
    damn it Wizo its amazing ! and it move in Crysis ! GJ
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Kokoff - Thx, the engine is similar to what we use at work huh? : )
    Texturing wip

Trying different patterns, dirt pass... now if only I can find the FOV console command for the editor...
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    heya! Here's something near final, I got some futurepoly homework I gotta do : ), time to wrap this up!
    I'll post of fun time playing with the model within crysis (gotta compress it)

Hi Poly screens:

FulgoreWizoHD.jpg

preview renders in game, let me know which lighting settings works the best..thx

Present4.jpg

video: http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/wizo5454/?action=view&current=CrysisFulgoreTestCompress2.mp4
  • ayalajulian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! wrote: »
    i gotta say man this is really nice. It'd be cool to see some more color/specular separation on him though.
    I know earlier you ask yourself if the mesh neede more damaged or not, The mesh looks good clean but giving it some damaged will make it great plus it gives a more realistic feel because right know it looks like a really cool shiny toy.
  • mitcHELL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow tight normals.. feels really solid
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Ayalajulian - big thx for the input! will try to put as much work as possible in the normals, for now working the diffuse and spec. I'll have to do a zbrush pass if time allows it.

mitcHELL- Thanks man, I've just realized my texture were reduced by 2 in the game engine.
    (X_X)

my be useful to anyone rendering an asset in cryengine 2 if you dont wanna have your textures havled in size automatically :

textfilter.jpg

Here's an update on the shading, forgive the skinning and the intersecting parts, it is the default pose in crysis, ill be making my own for the finals to fix all that:

00011.jpg

With or without red lighting?
  • cmcisaac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice man missed this one sick what are u rendering this in?
  • Sync
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With red lighting.
  • koufuyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda reminds me of an odd worlder most cool indeed,
    just curious...
    is everyone retopoing or sending the meshes back at the lowest level?
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    cmcisaac - Thanks! It's rendered in cryengine (Crysis)

Sync- Thanks for the input

Koufoyo - Thanks, for the low res, I've used MultiRes modifier (3dsmax) on the Hi-poly, set the triangle limit to 12000 and cleaned the topo so that it is more animation friendly.

So it is not the lowest subdivision of zbrush, it is an independant low res mesh.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Hey there PC, its getting there..I can smell the end!

I'm still ironning out the skinning, trying some poses out. I played with the lighting and this it what I have for the pose, any suggestions or idea about the posing is very welcome, I need this to be as convincing as possible, let me know, thanks!

00003-1.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, It has been a blast, polycount is truly THE place for game art, seeing all the awesomeness all around really has help me push myself. Gladly, I was able to squeeze this one past the finish line. I would have liked to have more time on this but at the same time, I am happy that the contest is ending so I can enjoy all the awesome artwork that was created for Brawl.

Thanks to everyone for your support, these pics will be my finals unless some hiccups pop out.

Good luck to all!

Orignial Fulgore:
    fulgoreClassic.jpg

Beauty shot:
    Wizo_Fulgore_BeautyShot.jpg

CompShot:
    Wizo_Fulgore_Comp.jpg

Spec shot:
    Wizo_Fulgore_SPEC.jpg

textures:
    Wizo_Fulgore_TEX.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    damn, Brawl has just busted the photobucket bandwith XD

I did upgrade to pro but images are still not showing up, anyone had this problem with photobucket? Any help would be nice. Thanks..

P.S:Something I noticed about the comp shots for the contest. Some entries have 1920x1080 inverted, height x width... but isn't 1920 suppose to be the width, I am confused, are we allowed to do this?

EDIT: Thanks jeremiah_bigley for letting me know, it should be back up in 24h the time the account upgrade fully kicks in.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I've a made wallpaper for those who are interested, its the in-game version rendered in crysis I'm also working on a turnaround.

Wizo_Fulgorewallpaper12.jpg
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Here are different angles/lighting from in-game.
    FulgoreCompileShots_00.jpg

turnaround :
    th_FulgoreTurnaround.jpg

Sry for bad compression, I've used windows movie maker for lack of having better software
  • POWER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very interesting your work!
    Thanks for the tips! They really helped!