Home Technical Talk

wtf is wrong with maya's bridge?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
Pic related.

I've reset the tool. I've checked my face normals. I've checked that all the verts are welded. What the hell gives? It's not that hard of a task.

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could start with turning off sub-d preview. Also, are you bridging from once face to another?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I had the same problem, everyone i asked just told me thats the way it is and to use Nex :/ seems to be a recuring theme with mayas modelling tools.

from what i could see the bridge tool creates bad geometry, it doesnt detect existing edges and simply creats new ones on top of them, since it uses the same vertes you cant fix it with a vertex weld.

Hopefully someone has a fix for this, it drives me insane.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Yeah maya's bridge is shit :/ Only way to avoid that double edge problem is extruding edges and target welding...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    been this way since at least 8.5 :/
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Visceral wrote: »
    You could start with turning off sub-d preview. Also, are you bridging from once face to another?

With the sub-d preview turned off it looks normal and fine. I can drag the verts and face out and it's all attached and welded. Stupidest thing ever!
    I had the same problem, everyone i asked just told me thats the way it is and to use Nex :/ seems to be a recuring theme with mayas modelling tools.

from what i could see the bridge tool creates bad geometry, it doesnt detect existing edges and simply creats new ones on top of them, since it uses the same vertes you cant fix it with a vertex weld.

Hopefully someone has a fix for this, it drives me insane.

Nex looks good, but when the department is paying what it is for Maya already, it's hard to justify purchasing tools that should already be working. It's a shame Autodesk controls most the software that is considered an industry standard because their quality control and patching crew (or lack thereof) is shitty enough to warrant finding something else.

Oh well. At least your answer confirms I'm not crazy. I guess now I'll just extrude and weld. It's more productive than bitching :). Thanks for the replies guys.
  • Mr_Paris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah bridge is broken. I had it flip a bunch of quads on me. It was rendering half the quad's normals facing one way and and the other half inversely. Conform didn't do anything and if you tried to extract the faces it would crash to desktop. Only way to fix was to delete the afflicted faces and vert weld. :/
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    nex adds as well as replaces. its worth a look. it basically makes maya work more like max
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This is just the way bridge works unfortunately, it's not creating bad geometry for Maya (2 unique verts can have more than one edge between them), it's just creating a face from one edge to the other, but not welding the side edges (if you select those edges with a drag select, it'll tell you you've selected 2).

All you need to do is weld the edges on each side of the bridge and you'll be ok. I do this all the time, it's not too much trouble with a few good hotkeys.
  • Zarathustra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zarathustra polycounter lvl 8
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "weld the edges". Is there a mel script or something that does that, because I see no tool like that in Maya 2011.

Frankly, this bridge tool is a pain in the ass, unlike Modo's which just works.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "weld the edges".

Necro'ing this post, but selecting the bonked edges and running edit mesh>merge will fix it.