Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[FIGHTER] SamuraiShowdown, Mina, Rilem

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Rilem polycounter lvl 7
Mina from Samurai Showdown V
mina-art.jpg
mina-super.gif

It's not that common to see a fighting game character using a bow.
Mina looks so clean, she's like a blank page, I might go demonic or future with the redesign. Haven't decided on that, but she's cool enough, I'm rolling with this character!
inspiration:

moodbrawl.jpg

concept:

mina3.jpg

Stay tuned!

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    whoa she's pretty awesome a beauty render with some effects of her arrow's would be awesome. Nice choice.
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    moodbrawl.jpg

Warcraft, Paul Richards and Mr-Jack. Fine inspiration for a hot demonic archer chick methinks.
  • kouotsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah cool, I like this character. I think I confuse her with Nakoruru in my memory, lol. Always like archers' oversized bow gloves.

(now that I look up Nakoruru, I realize she doesn't even have a bow! I was sure she did with those gloves but I guess they're supposed to be falconing gloves or something)
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    Yes the glove is definitely something I'm going to abuse! I had this idea of integrating her source of ammo: the quiver, into the glove. Arrows are replaced by demonic bolts powerd by the gauntlet. :)
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    So, here's my first version of the concept.
    edit: second version

mina3.jpg

Might refine some details later but for now I'm pretty happy with it.
    As said earlier her glove is used to form bolts of demonic energy, which can be fired from her bow. :] While shooting these bolts with her bow means maximum damage, she can use the glove to fire short ranged bursts for close quarters combat. Also, she kicks really high. :)

Modeling this is going to be the real challenge for me. I'm not that experienced but I'll do my best!
    Texturing wise I'm most confortable with doing diffuse only in a hand painted style. But this character has so many details which could look amazing with norm+spec+emissive.
    So I'm leaning towards the second approach, which is going to be a learning experience. Which is good! :poly142:
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    this looks like it can turn out awesome, it you are having as little clothes as that you might want to add more tattoos
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Really Nice concept. Kick ass archer there. but...

small crit. I dont see alot in your concept that reflects the original Mina except maybe the hair. The big white dress, long bow and blue hair tie seem to be the key features.

Anyway. Will be watching where this goes.
  • thomgoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would keep in more skirt and and hair in your redesign.
    i really like what you have theres but it looks like an entirely new character. the horns and armor work really well, but you should include the full hair, maybe with some chains or blade braided in, and a longer skirt, maybe made from barbed chain mail or something? i think you could do some cool layering stuff with multiple skirts, but keeps one long.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, I would have to agree about keeping a long skirt in there.
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the crits guys, I think they're pretty valid. I'll replace the tiny piece of cloth with the skirt. Stupid of me to ditch such an iconic feature.
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    Updated the concept to include Mina's skirt.
    Have a look. :)
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    Update:
    rough1.jpg

Taking it into mudbox next.
    I think I'll start with sculpting on the glove, it seems like a fun warmup. I'll use maya to layout the basic shapes used in the concept and then I'll throw it in mudbox and see what I can make of it. Then I'll adress that silly looking floating hood. :)

edit: shit I forgot the tail, lol
    edit2: fixed :p
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
    good work so far. Can't wait for the HP's
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    What!
    I love the concept, looks very inspired by DarkSiders/Joe Mad artwork.
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    Beautiful concept...looking forward for more updates on modeling.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    nicely done sir. Looking forward for the updates.

Question for you though...Do you use one ref image only? The top one? Or you use front and side ones as well.
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the kind words guys. :)

To awnser your question Nitewalkr, I'm using this image as a reference for the body shape:
    shape.jpg
    That one I did myself, but I also use alot of photos for specific areas.
    For all of the armor pieces and the bow I'll just be looking at my own concept though.

Now I have a question for you guys. My character has 2 chains going over her skirt. I'm a bit worried about these ever looking good when skinning the mesh. I know final shots will be still poses but I'd like it to be ready to use in a game engine.
    Maybe I could place the chain parts on a curve/spline and keyframe the curve?
    Any ideas on this?
  • MortalJohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love the concepts your throwing around, wether or not they fit together well enough has yet to be decided, I'm a big fan of the WoW re-envision. Say what you want about the game, but Blizzards Artists are all amazing!
  • Rilem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rilem polycounter lvl 7
    More work on the big glove.
    progress1.jpg