Home General Discussion

I want to make custom model for high end game

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
rollin polycounter
hey ho.. Anybody knows some "current-or-nextgen-games" where it's possible to make custom models for?

atm fallout3 is my game of choice but shaders and stuff aren't that great anymore.

- I'm aware of crysis and ut3

cheers

Replies

• leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    UT3. You answered your own question!

Since UT3 there really hasn't been anything new that custom players at all, at least officially.

Don't know if Brink's doing anything about it (most likely a big fat not)
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Cant think of much current games that come with support for custom stuff. But starcraft 2 might be interesting? I hope crysis 2 will have a easy pipeline to get custom characters in it.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    problem is.. playing ut3 is suuuperbooooring for me.. so I might stay with fallout3 ..

There is an fantastic tool which can extract models and bones from unreal engine games but the problem is to get the stuff back in.. gears 1 for example .. they even provided a 3dsmax file of the player model but also implemented a file check so you aren't able to PLAY with a new model the game..
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You need to try out Crysis and Cryengine 2.

Fantastic art development workflow. Very easy to import models and adjust materials.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    What kind of shaders do you really need?

In fallout3 you have enough to carry any standard art-asset with, diffuse texture, normalmap, specular, illumination if needed etc.

If you just want to experiment with some custom shaders then unreal engine.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    eld: it's not so much the normal shader stuff.. It's more the general look and feel I'm talking about. Light, post effects (shader) and so on.

Also I don't like the animations of fallout3 :shifty:

All in all I want to play the game with my model... So just getting UDK and putting my model in is not what I'm looking for.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    then build a game around your models, you lazy slacker ;)
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I'm doing :p but because of the same reasons you'll shrink down Airb, my game isn't based on highendsuperduperfluffyduffy specs :)
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    i'm enjoying the sc2 galaxy editor atm.
    took a few hours to figure out the sc2 textures format and data editor, but the overall time to produce a map or custom game is relatively short compared to other games :P
    i like having fast results :D
    you can create your own unit models including abilities and effects, too.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm, may I suggest any of the STALKER games? Perhaps Call of Pripyat? I have zero experience with any of their SDKs but it looks very mod friendly.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    You could make new player models for Darkplaces Quake. I've been working on stuff for a friend's mod, but haven't done any player models yet. It's a feature-filled co-op mod that uses custom Quake2 player models at the moment. I did get a monster in, animated and working fine, using the custom IQM (Inter-Quake Model) format. None of the screenshots really do the engine justice - it has great rendering on properly normalmapped models. Material information... I think IllFonic may have started with it but then they switched to Crysis3 and now I think they're using Unreal3 for their game.

I wish it had full rgbgen support (in the q3 shaders). It's pretty easy to do one-to-one replacement (even with fully new animations) on the old models, though. And you can still do basic shaders for effects and such using the q3shader implementation as it is.

Another challenge would be to code your own IQM exporter for whatever app you use. Blender doesn't actually have any control over vertex smoothing other than a flat/smooth flag on each face, but there is no grouping so it's pretty useless in that respect. The IQM exporter actually pays attention to it though, so if Blender could do smoothing groups then it would be set.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    Blender doesn't actually have any control over vertex smoothing other than a flat/smooth flag on each face, but there is no grouping so it's pretty useless in that respect. The IQM exporter actually pays attention to it though, so if Blender could do smoothing groups then it would be set.

Marking edges as sharp then using the Edgesplit modifier fulfills that IMO
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    leilei wrote: »
    Marking edges as sharp then using the Edgesplit modifier fulfills that IMO
    I've tried that but I don't think the IQM exporter actually notices (the edgesplit modifier not actually modifying vertex normals or something).
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav wrote: »
    I've tried that but I don't think the IQM exporter actually notices

In that case, just apply the modifier.