Home Technical Talk

Autodesk's Project Skyline

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
Apparently it's a tool that semi already exists but will exist more in the future? Right now it's about offering an animation pipeline, but the article said it would be expanding into lighting and UI. Could be interesting...

"Currently realised solely for improving the animation workflow, Skyline is an evolution of the modern closed loop pipelines that provide a live link between level editor and game engine that unifies runtime and authored data."

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37164/GDC11-Autodesks-secret-Project-Skyline

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this demoed at Autodesk's GDC booth this year... but I dunno, it seems to me like it'd be more beneficial for studios to develop their own engine -> app interop solutions. For example the new CryEngine videos show a direct link between the editor and Maya.

You can already pipe data directly from a 3D app into anything else, as long as you have the tools support to do it and there is a need for it, then I think places like Epic, DICE, Crytek and Id who develop their own engines might start looking more into it.

As a third-party app it seems kinda superfluous to me - how often do you actually need to see live updates of animation in your editor? Any sort of lighting or UI already tends to be handled by the game engine/editor itself anyway, why bother with a third-party solution? It seems like it'd only complicate the pipeline rather than simplifying it.

I guess we'll see where it goes, but personally I don't see much need for it at this stage.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    MoP wrote: »
    I saw this demoed at Autodesk's GDC booth this year... but I dunno, it seems to me like it'd be more beneficial for studios to develop their own engine -> app interop solutions. For example the new CryEngine videos show a direct link between the editor and Maya.

Being in Maya before it was released...
    I am always more comfortable/productive if there is a pipeline I can succesfully Maya-ize.

now that cryengine3 SDK has been released I have yet to see anything with a direct connection to Maya released?

Anyone know if such a pipeline was supposed to be anything other than crytek in-house?

also
    linktechtalks.jpgto the new siggraph demo of skyline interop with UDK i believe.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Mop: its simply a matter of having a slice of the cake. Cry Engine, UDK, Unity3D are all doing quite good in areas Autodesk is not yet present.