Home Unreal Engine

Landscape thread

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Alright, this feature is exciting to me, so I thought I'd start a thread.
I have to do a UDK workshop next week, and was gonna do some natural terrain creation with the old terrain, but now that Landscape is out it'd be nice if I could use that already.

A few things I noticed:

-When I create a big flat terrain and zoom out, a few random patches tend to flicker between black and normal colors? This is with default checkerboard material.

-Importing a heightmap from World Machine results in HUGE peaks and valleys, pretty much unusable. The values from the heightmap seem to be scaled apart very far. No way to control this?

-Can you do foliage/decolayers? I don't see this mentioned anywhere? How am I supposed to easily dress the terrain then ?

Replies

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    I've been playing around with it since yesterday and so far I'm slightly disappointed. I love the sculpting tools, but other than that it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade. Perhaps, once there's more documentation available, I will be able to use it to its full capabilities.

Regarding your questions:

I haven't encountered the flickering issue, but I had patches of terrain disappear if I zoom in to closely.

You can control the intensity of your heightmap by tweaking the Z scale of your landscape actor. It might take you a bit of tweaking to get the results you want.

I don't think the foliage tools are in yet. I guess you would have to do it by hand.

Overall, I would refrain from using Landscapes for the time being; it feels like it's not finished yet and the texturing workflow seems a bit strange.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah scaling makes sense, just a weird workaround.

The missing foliage is a big problem I think, these landscapes can easily be HUGE, nobody is going to want to place that by hand...

I think we'll have to wait another month for it to become usefull. The texturing methods are actually a lot better, because it allows you to the "Uncharted" type of blending between maps based on a heightmap/mask. No more fake fading gradients between textures!
    Haven't tested that yet though, maybe I will try that next.

Also that terrain normalmap thing works great at distance, definite improvement.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    True that, I'm sure it will get better with time.

My point about the texturing workflow being strange is that you have to render your height map at a resolution that is not a power of 2 (2017x2017, 4033x4033, etc). I assume it would work perfectly fine if you follow the documentation and use layers but if you plan to use any 1:1 overlays or supermasks in your material you would need to render a second set of textures at a different resolution.

Btw, I have always though that Uncharted approach to the terrain was already possible in UDK. Could you explain what makes it so different?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh i didn't really catch that bit about the terrain yet? I imported a 512x512 heightmap and it didn't complain?

For the texture blending there used to be a very archaic system. You make a separate material asset per layer, and the terrain system does all the blending for you, by basically stacking them into one big material behind the scenes. That's why you get the "hot pink" terrain if you overdo the amount of materials. Because you have no control over the final merging of materials, all you get is linear, faded blending between the layers.
    Now that everything can be done in one single material, you control the exact calculations for the blending.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys,

Yeah, I am also getting the black flickering square's on the default texture when I have a landscape created...to be honest, I believe this months release is very buggy. I even noticed a drop in performance all-around in the editor over last months iteration.

Give it another month or two, and it will be right as rain.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I'm currently working on a scene using World Machine and UDK Landscape to generate mountain ranges, so I thought I'd revive this thread. I can also answer a few of the questions you guys had.

The flickering/disappearing has to do with the default placement of the landscape when it's generated. If you look in the properties, the x and y coordinates will be set to something crazy (mine was 60000+). From what I read online, this causes the renderer to do some strange culling. Just set the coordinates to 0,0 and it should be good.

As for the height, for some reason the landscape will be brought in at double the height it should be. (128,128,256) You can just scale this down in the properties as well. I found a value of 50-70 gives me something close to what I generated in World Machine.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Hi guys! Didnt wanna start a new thread so I hope I can get some help in this one.

Is the landscape system supported on iphone? I´ve tried searching but couldnt find anything about it.

Thanks!
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Ok got an answer on epics forum and this seems to be the way to go:
    Xenobite says:
    - terrain is working as colision on device - it is invisible but collision is still there
    definitely not the best solution to use for your level collisions

what you should is

- make terrain (ignore materials and just play with height)
    - export it to your 3d app
    - cut it in parts
    - optimize geometry - kill as many polys you can
    - set UV's properly
    - export a "visible" copy of your terain SM

- edit your terrain mesh - remove polys that are not needed for colisions
    * create optimized collision mesh

- import SM "for looks" into UDK and remove all colisions
    - import collision mesh and make sure you use "per poly"
    * this depends on your terrain style but I assume that you will have some uneven surface

- make a material with 2 textures and vertex colors for LERPing between these two
    * make sure you set in mobile material 2 textures that blend with vertex colors
    ** in case you need more than 2 textures for terrain - you will have to plan it inside 3d app as you will have to assign extra materials (tex A mix tex B / tex A mix tex C / tex A mix tex C - you get the point)
    *** you can also use another texture to blend these textures
    **** in case you decided to do stuff with vertex blending - you will have to paint some vertex colors in UDK for transitions between terrain textures
    ***** LERPing and stuff is only so you can visualize stuff in UDK and for baking lightmaps
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Here's an odd problem. When I create a landscape, it doesn't show up in the perspective viewport. It does show up in the orthographic views though. I tried checking all the options in the "show" tab. An interesting thing I noticed is that at the bottom tab in the editor, it says "level.landscape_1 selected (0 tris, 0 verts, 0 sections)", perhaps implying that there's no geometry selected, even though the terrain icon is selected?

Any ideas? Much appreciated.
  • 3DRyan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DRyan polycounter lvl 8
    Nevermind, just figured it out. The terrain was created WAY, WAY, WAY below the map. Not anywhere near the terrain widget. Annoying.
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I played around with this today... I expected a major overhaul, but geometry wise it's the old terrain system with a new (and buggy) interface. The way materials are handled is an improvement, though.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I am trying to texture my Landscape, could someone give me a hint of what i need to learn in order to do that? All the tutorials confuse me because almost all of them are using Terra Sculptor or W/E software which i don't have and don't want to focus on, i just wanna texture it, whats the way to go?
    Thanks
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I am trying to texture my Landscape, could someone give me a hint of what i need to learn in order to do that? All the tutorials confuse me because almost all of them are using Terra Sculptor or W/E software which i don't have and don't want to focus on, i just wanna texture it, whats the way to go?
    Thanks

You can just use tiling textures if you want. Even using some kind of automatic terrain generator you'd still want to have tiling textures and hand paint some of the masks.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    You can just use tiling textures if you want. Even using some kind of automatic terrain generator you'd still want to have tiling textures and hand paint some of the masks.
    okok i know that, how do i create a material for the Landscape and how do i choose which texture to go where? on the old terrain you just painted them on the surface, i don't seem to get the deal here.
    Lets say i would like to blend 2 textures, 1 rock and 1 grass on specific areas of my Landscape how do i do that (just normal blending nothing fancy so far)?
    Edit: how and where do i handpaint the masks (i guess i know how these work)?
  • Sean VanGorder
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I finally made a breakthrough , thanks to this : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88347&highlight=Landscape+system

Thank you Swizzle and the rest of you too!!