Home General Discussion

The self taught route

It almost been a whole year since I first picked up 3ds max. At this point I am very good at modeling and knowing my way around 3ds max. I am currently improving my photoshop skills and getting down a good flow with baking my high poly models. My problem is I havent created anything worth noting and this only say to me that I need practice. In other words, I have the understanding and knowledge of making next gen assets, I just need to apply my skills to make it to that next level.

My question to those artist that have been self taught is how did you do it?
OF course I am talking about beyond tuts and polycount(which I am religious about), how long did it take you to getting your first portfolio?

Currently I am unemployed and I find my self working 13 to 14 hours a day. IS there a point where too much is too much?

So if anybody has tips for me on how they did there studies.

Thanks.

Replies

• slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    sorry I'm little confused here
    so you saying you're very good at modeling but how can you tell if you haven't created anything worth noting?
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Brand_Irony_1___Just_Do_It_by_sharadhaksar.jpg

sorry to disappoint, but that's all there is to it
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree with d1ver.

I struggle with that sometimes, not because of a lack of love for what I'm doing, but because after an 8 hour day of modeling at work, followed by hours of modeling at school, it's hard to spend hours modeling once I get home as well. Really all you can do is find some motivation, sit down, and do it.
  • billredd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billredd polycounter lvl 13
    "...how long did it take you to getting your first portfolio? "

Well, you don't "get" a portfolio, you create a portfolio with art that you created and think is your best work. If you have 13+ hours a day right now, then now would be a good time to start creating portfolio pieces. Look at other portfolios for general ideas in format and presentation, make a small scene for UDK centered around a theme and make all the assets for it.

To go to the next level, just do the same thing you did to get to the level your at now, learn, push yourself and bust your ass. Like the man said, Just do it!
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so you saying you're very good at modeling but how can you tell if you haven't created anything worth noting?

Yeah that does sound confusing, I can model just about anything I see, but since my baking isnt very good, I can't move on. I just need to practice and I am.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am hearing what I need to hear. *says out loud "Just Do It"
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    just don't go peeing on walls;-)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    You need to get super pumped about 1 project and use that motivation to climb to the next level.

Now is the perfect time to think about joining the dominance war if you're so inclined to do character art. Might be years before you hear winners but you'll get that next portfolio piece you're looking for.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Also forcing yourself when you can't do anything or don't want too is key as well, procrastination = failure for all.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Well you can "Just do it" but generally, laying down a plan to what you actually need to learn to get into the industry if just as essential. I mean you can "just go and do" a lot of unnecessary stuff and in the end ending up with something not worth showing.

So I'd say:

Plan your portfolio pieces after what kind of job you're seeking
    then go and do them.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9

There is a difference between knowing the ropes of a program and actually making art from it, which is the struggle I think the OP was getting at.

polygonfreak, reading your post, you may want to consider studying more traditional art; study industrial design, art theory, etc. You may know how to push polies and bake down normals, but applying that technical knowledge to create something that has artist merit is the true challenge of this medium. Step away from Max and Photoshop and take up life drawing, or sculpture, or photography, or even music composition; come back to 3D in a few weeks and the next models you create will be gold. You simply seem to be burning out, it happens to everyone at some point.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    I'm a self taught artist, and the only thing I can tell you is the ability to succeed comes with your dedication.

I was going to school full time ( not art related degree ) and working full-time when I decided I wanted to work in the industry. Forums like PC and Tutorials were a great help sure, but the real key was dedication to what you wanted to achieve.

I would work a 8-10 hour day at work, and then come home and model for another 8-10 hours and if I was lucky squeeze in some time for my girlfriend and relaxing. It's not an easy thing for sure, but you just have to ask yourself whats more important and how much succeeding at your goal is worth to you.

If you aren't willing to put in the hard work, or the end result isn't worth it enough to put in that hard work, then quit now before its too late. But if it is, bust your ass every single day. Keep making art everyday. Post your work online every chance you get and take criticizem well (VERY IMPORTANT!).

There's no real secret other than hard work.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is all great info

@crazyfingers This is one of my problems, I get on a project get so far until it gets to difficult and I move on to a new project. I am so dedicated to the discipline and I need to focus this dedication to one project. This also goes along with what chrisradsby said about doing unnecessary things... giving up on projects harms my work flow.

@paul pepera Getting burned out is something that comes up in my mind from time to time. At this point I know Im not, I still love what I do and the excitement to start my computer and get going is great. However, in the past I have taken breaks and once I come back I do feel refreshed... a break real soon might be the ticket.

@CJE I am glad to hear I am not the only one busting my ass. How long did it take for you to get a job in the industry?

Thanks again to every one who responded. The one draw back to not going to school is having other people around you that love to make game art. (in comes polycount) Passion is something that is not created or learned, its something you are born with. In less then a year of learning I had got my first contract job modeling for a future video game, I have been a game tester for 8 months, and I am very confident with a great understanding of game art and I know I am getting near to reaching a great goal.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14

@CJE I am glad to hear I am not the only one busting my ass. How long did it take for you to get a job in the industry?

I'm self-taught as well. It took me 1 year starting from scratch to get into the industry. It's all about hard-work and dedication.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    I am very confident with a great understanding of game art and I know I am getting near to reaching a great goal.

~ If you feel this way then this whole thread is irrelevant.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    My problem is I havent created anything worth noting and this only say to me that I need practice. ...OF course I am talking about beyond tuts and polycount(which I am religious about)

Practice, tutorials, and forums are only helpful to a point. At some point you have to make stuff and tell yourself it's not just practice this time. Follow through on it completely. Rework it if you have to, but finish it. Then move onto the next one.

You might find it's easier to keep up your momentum if you don't post it up for feedback during or after the process. I don't know if that's something you generally do or not, but I think a lot of people do, especially when starting out, and as helpful as it can be, it can also end up turning a personal project into a long and drawn out game of Simon Says. Refinements that would have otherwise taken a few minutes can end up taking days if the artist allows himself to stall on an area while waiting for others' opinions to roll in; or to obsess over a relatively minor issue in a piece just because someone on a forum said it's a little off.

Personally, I found the quickest way to spot a problem with what I'm working on is to work on another part of the project for an hour or so and then come back to the problem area with fresh eyes. Then switch back and repeat until everything looks satisfactory. Reducing my reliance on approval/feedback from others helped me learn to finish things and keep my energy up.
    Currently I am unemployed and I find my self working 13 to 14 hours a day. IS there a point where too much is too much?
    Not if you're using your time wisely. If you're meeting your goals, you're good to go. If you're not, then break the pattern, loosen up, and come at it again with a clear head. Doesn't matter how long you work (10 minutes, 20 hours, whatever) as long as you're meeting your goals.
  • Steve Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You may want to consider studying more traditional art; study industrial design, art theory, etc. You may know how to push polies and bake down normals, but applying that technical knowledge to create something that has artist merit is the true challenge of this medium. Step away from Max and Photoshop and take up life drawing, or sculpture, or photography, or even music composition; come back to 3D in a few weeks and the next models you create will be gold.
    Totally agree. Nearly everything you do in 3D is a simulation of something in the real world. If you want to be a better character modeler, start studying human anatomy. If you want to be a better lighting artist, volunteer at a theater doing stage lighting. Getting away from the computer and observing the world around you is one of the best ways to add value to your digital creations.

But in terms of getting a job, it's important to understand that technical ability is not the only (or even the most) important factor. Who you know is often as important as what you know. Making friends (networking) can often lead to great work. And showing that you have a great attitude can often land you a job as well. Most of the employers I've talked to recently have said that they'd hire a mediocre artist with a great attitude over a great artist with a mediocre attitude.