Home Technical Talk

Texture question

I want to really understand how normals work. I have seen this effect with the dark outlines before but never knew what it was. The model just has a diffuse and normal map applied and I am using a real time shader. I would love to know what I am missing. By the way, when you look at the model from straight on, it looks perfect.
fu9p4w.jpg

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    your normals are way too strong. And probably inverted.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    Is this in Maya?

Something's wacky about your normals. Are you using Viewport 2.0? Are you making sure you are using "Tangent Space Normals" and not leaving it on "Bump" under your material's bump mapping expression??

Also, looks like you took a photo and made ONE pass through crazybump, nDo, etc, and are trying to use it on something...that's generally no good.

Search the forums and internets on how to make a normal map properly! All the information is out there.
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its in 3ds max and I used 3 point shader. and you are right, I made it with xnormal in photoshop. I have spent so much time on baking high poly, so time to move onto making good normal maps out of photos. Do you recommend and good tuts on normal maps?
  • BradleyWascher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradleyWascher polycounter lvl 13
    normals are to strong, turn it down a little, another thing to think about is that you have to much high frequency detail in the nrm right now, aka ( every single crack imperfection). You need the nrms to support the larger shape first( the actual planks) then add in very little nrm detail like the cracks.
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    Its in 3ds max and I used 3 point shader. and you are right, I made it with xnormal in photoshop. I have spent so much time on baking high poly, so time to move onto making good normal maps out of photos. Do you recommend and good tuts on normal maps?

If you made the normals in an external program like XNormal, you need to flip the green channel to view it correctly in 3DS Max.

Likewise, if you bake out normals in Max, you need to flip the green channel in Marmoset or whatever other engine you are using.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You can actually change the green channel in xnormal to the behaviour you want...(same goes for 3dsmax)
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    On that flipping the green channel thing (because when I first heard that I thought people were smoking something) all you have to do is load the normal map in photoshop, under channels, invert the green channel. ;)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Why not change it before baking/calculating it...