Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Tuberoom

So after too many years of lurkin' and creepin', I'm finally ponying up and posting something. I'm (hopefully) at a point in my life where I have the time to commit to this hooby, and I'm not going to get any better without feedback and practice. I will say in advance that I'm not going for a job in the industry or building a wicked portfolio; I'm just an enthusiast that wants to make cool art.

I noticed there was a distinct lack of sci-fi hallways with pipes in them on PC, so I decided to work off this piece from Raven's Singularity concept art:
Tube_Room.jpg

I actually chose it for a couple of reasons.
1. Small in scale - I'm not biting off more than I can chew
2. Has some moderately interesting shapes and textures - need to practice them skillz
3. Lends itself to modularity - I've only really done individual set pieces, so I wanted to work on a scene where I could dive into modular workflow

Here's where I am with the max blockout.
tuberoom_lit_01.jpg

and wires...
tuberoom_wires_01.jpg

Right now I'm just working on getting the forms and proportions right, and I wanted to post before I got too far along. There's a little bit of perspective wonkyness in the concept that I had to try and compensate for, and a guessing game on some of the smaller details. I'm just going to try and go for a bit of artistic liberty while keeping with the feel. Also need to play with the focal length some more, or just pin down the perspective in UDK.

I actually started this as a high poly piece, but it's already gone through enough revisions that I'll have to do some major reworking/recreation on the HPs before I can bake. I'll also be dragging it into UDK, which I don't really know too well. Hopefully I can figure out this whole max->UDK workflow without my head exploding. Time will tell.

Anyway, C&C, beat it up like only Polycount can. I'm counting on you guys to give it to me straight! :)