Thought i show my latest project

show5.jpg

show1.jpg

show4.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome! Nice work. I think you might of gone a little overboard on the unique grunge details in the materials for the modules themselves, there are several tricks to get grunge maps/stamps/decals on objects after you get them in the engine.

I also agree with Hbobowen about the fans you have some great depth in all the other pieces but the fans are super flat. There might be some shader/paralax/height map tricks you can do but it might be easier solved with a little more geometry.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Great work, the walls look stunning but I think the paving slabs and concrete panels could do with some more variety between each piece. It looks a bit too homogeneous right now.

Also,I have a question that maybe OP or anyone else could answer: I am working on an environment (similar to this actually) implemented using modular xref geometry in max. Is there any way of applying decals (e.g. graffiti) to xreferenced geometry without making a brand new material for every piece of geometry that requires a decal?
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    Hboybowen wrote: »
    good work!! can we see a few renders of individual pieces. I really like the way your brick came out.Only crit I could say is the industrial fans are really flat against the brick.

Yeah probably should have modeled those out.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome! Nice work. I think you might of gone a little overboard on the unique grunge details in the materials for the modules themselves, there are several tricks to get grunge maps/stamps/decals on objects after you get them in the engine.

I also agree with Hbobowen about the fans you have some great depth in all the other pieces but the fans are super flat. There might be some shader/paralax/height map tricks you can do but it might be easier solved with a little more geometry.

thanks, Yeah didnt know too much about what could be done in UDK so probably wount do it like that the next time
  • polygonfreak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job, I really like this and cant wait to see the modular pieces. I agree with Mark and Hboy, the fans need some modeling. I do have three little crits... 1. The roll up doors seem too short. If its compared to the windows, they look about five feet tall. 2.The top of the building where there is a border, it looks a little forced. To me it looks like brick but I think its the grunge you have on it. Maybe change the color to that cement you have on the pillars and the base. 3. Something seems a little strange with the whole scale. The bricks look good, the windows look good, but all together something seems just a bit off. Maybe add height to the building. Hope that helps. Keep up the good work.
  • PredatorGSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PredatorGSR polycounter lvl 14
    I would have recommended doing something more unique. It's pretty obvious that you just followed the 3D motive tutorial and created almost exactly the same pieces with pretty much the same look. The first thing I thought when I saw your screenshot was "isn't that just the 3D motive scene?".

http://www.3dmotive.com/product-modular-building-udk

Anyway, if I noticed it after a half second glance, so will anyone else who has seen that tutorial. The 3D motive scene isn't even really that good outside of demonstrating modular principles, so I don't know why you would copy it so exactly.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    ^^
    My thoughts exactly, and it's also a bit to saturated for my taste.
    It might be that it's just a coincidence, but I would still do something more unique.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah went little to close to it. Have never done anything modular, so the 3d motive way is the only way i found.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    There are some serious scale issues here, and I think it's due mainly to the size of the bricks and the doors/windows. If you compare the door to the size of the bricks, or even the garage door, it makes it fairly evident that it's built for somebody who about 12 feet tall. Given that I can see some faint tiling on the walls where it's just bricks, I think you could double the brick size and improve a lot, because right now your bricks are about an inch high, and it shouldn't take around 50-60 of them for one building story.
  • BorisK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    true it does kinda look like the 3D Motive tutorial but he did add some funky design to some of the pieces

like it dude
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    looks cool but the door is totally to big - i mean it has the same height like the garage door!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    For learning use and modeling of modular pieces i think it's great. But it would be sooo simple for you to break this up to your own layout, own camera angel, own style (still bricks and broken windows), own texture style and so on. This will sting an employer in the eye who have seen the tutorial, or just the presentation of it. Conclusion, with small efforts you can make this your own!

Then i think you have used you texture space porly, saw them on you webpage ): The window uses the same frame, pretty much. So you could just have that and change the window it self.

As some one mentioned, scale issues. The door is like 3.5 meters high? :P

I think you should add some foliage. And if you have the energy and time, some props. This is pretty boring as a scene as it is.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    As long as you learn from it I don't think it's a big issue. Using it in your portfolio would be a problem, though.
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah lot of good points here. Really thinking about redoing the whole thing