Home Technical Talk

Rigging a beholder

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Hey all,

Looking to rig a beholder creature I've created for a baldur's gate 2 mod project I'm working on. I've worked with mostly humanoid characters up till this point but now I'm looking at rigging the eyestalks for this creature and I'm not sure what the best way to do it would be. I'm using max 2011.

Any suggestions? It's for dragon age, and I think the bone index limit the engine allows is like.. 67 bones. I'm only using a couple bones in the rig so far though.. one for the jaw, one for the eye, and two spine bones. I'm not sure how many bones I should use per eyestalk, and how to set up the rig so that it's easy to animate (as I'm also going to be doing a few basic animations for it.. idle, getting hit, moving forward, knock back, biting, spell casting from each eyestalk and the main eye, and death). Any help at all.. tips, tricks, things to keep in mind.. would be very appreciated! Thanks polycounters. :)

24b305e4.jpg24b305e4.jpg

24b305e4.jpg

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    were it me, I would use 1 bone for the main mass of the creature.
    1 for the main eye.
    a FK bone chain of 3 or 4 bones for each stalk should do it.

why are you using 2 spine bones for a beholder. its body doesnt twist or deform.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I have two spine bones in the chain.. the main mass of the creature is weighted to the upper one, and the lower tentacles are partially weighted to the lower spine just to add a little bit of movement to them. So they're not really spine bones. :)

I tried doing an IK set up with 6 or so bones for the eyestalks (as I'd like to control them using the end link), but maybe I should just set them up as FK and manually rotate each link to get the animations I'm trying to achieve? I'm really not too familiar with setting this stuff up but there's no one else on the team to do it so I'm trying to learn as I come across each challenge. :) thanks again!