Home General Discussion

Ple4se lord... Let it be re4l...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Because if this is re4l, this is going to be the most epic ye4r in gaming ev4r...

http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/thief-4/thief-4-vue-troisieme-personne-actu-400468.html

4037854-photo-crop-p08cef11cb187c32b8da36903d1fcbe07-thief-4-playtest.jpg?options=eNorsUouyi9wyLAyMTBwKLcyA5IVhlYGDpWGVkYmQJFksFBGMkgeACLvDDA%3D

Replies

• Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Third person? Maaaaaaaan.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Deadly Shadows was first/third. Theres hope yet young spermling.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    A new Thief game? Yes plox
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be down with another Thief game, so long as it isn't "Medal of Black Ops Duty 13"
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a quote I found worrysome:
    As JeuxVideo points out, it’s… third person! Which (again, pointed out by them) echoes this NoFrag rumour that much of the game is played in third person, including “climbing, movement and even archery”. I was kind of hoping those rumours would be a dirty sack of lies, since that same post goes on to describe that the game is very linear. Hmm. Course, Deadly Shadows had the option to play in the third person, but it’d be an interesting decision if this time around that was forced on us.

Ofcourse, that's an unconfirmed rumour, and as someone commenting on that article mentions: A lot of the promo-material for Thief 3 was in 3rd-person, presumably because it looks more interesting.

Still though, thi4f!

edit: from the comments, some amount of clarification:
    “echoes this NoFrag rumor that much of the game is played in third person, including “climbing, travel and even archery” (whatever “travel” means).”
    the word used in French is “déplacements”. the meaning in the sentence is more like “movements” instead of “travel”.
    In other words : they say that 3rd person is almost always on, except when you trigger a so called “discreet” mode.
    At the end they say that according to their informant, 90% of the levels they played was third person but it’s difficult to draw any conclusion based upon a 1 hour play.
    the google trad is a bit erroneous in some sentences ^ ^
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome can't wait, although that screen is hard to make out. I hope we hear more at GDC as they said they would be announcing something. I think this warrants a trip to TTLG.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    that's some a cramped developer pit
    43-7.jpg
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    WTB moar elbow room!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    NOOOO0000oooooo........
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    If you enjoyed the dark project and the metal age, then this game is probably not intended for you.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ye, what was I thinking
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    eld wrote: »
    If you enjoyed the dark project and the metal age, then this game is probably not intended for you.

Yep, it's just going to be an 'Assassin's Creed Too'. I bet they're not even going to use the term 'taffer' in it.

Pass?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'll give them a chance to screw it all up before I pass judgement. We are, after all, looking at one blurry photo with no context.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno, from everything I've read, they've treated Deus Ex with a lot of respect. I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same for Thief.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    odium wrote: »
    Deadly Shadows was first/third. Theres hope yet young spermling.

WOW!!!! Thief 4?

Can I say "Finally" now?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Talon wrote: »
    Dunno, from everything I've read, they've treated Deus Ex with a lot of respect. I see no reason why they wouldn't do the same for Thief.

The shooter rpg part of deus ex is a lot easier to port over to todays gaming standards than thiefs first person stealth ropeshooting action.

Especially since one of the thief series core features, the rope arrows, seems to have been "not worth it" to implement after part 2,
    when back in the days looking glass did it, in a cave! with a box of scraps!!!
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    As hot as DE:HR looks, lets face it... It will be raped in the RPG elements and dumbed down a lot. Thats just the world we live in, you can't make games for the hardcore because they won't sell (Though nobody ever tries?).

Thief 4... Well it needs to have a bit of open endedness really. I liked the idea of having a city, where you got to the missions from that city, the way Deadly Shadows worked. It also seems to be more like a hybrid view they are using, which is what I used in DS... Sometimes First Person was needed, other times, third worked better. But back then I had to switch... If they do it all for you, maybe it will turn out better.

I just hope they remember this is Thief, and just because Assassins Creed turned out amazing they don't NEED to copy that... Just polish what the old games did and don't worry so much.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Third-person and being able to see around corners just breaks the immersion for me. I agree they seem to be going the Assassins Creed route, which will put off a lot of the old Thief fans.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    But in a "game", how do you handle peaking around a corner without third person? Theres lean, but I'll be honest here, lean is not only really clumbersome in games its also ugly as hell from first person.

Its much better to walk up to the corner, interact, and then be in third person locked against the wall.

In fact it would be nice for somebody to do the next Mirrors Edge with stealth in games totally from first person, theres so many different areas that need working out.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I hope they re introduce rope arrows. I loved them in the first thief
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message