Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Why are females so hard to sculpt ( need help) :)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
disanski polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys I have been practicing some head sculpts lately and for the most part I like how they turn out that is before i start sculpting females :)
I just dont understand what am I doing wrong and with tons of reference I still cant tell what is wrong and how do I fix it?
Here is the problem one and after that I will post the busts that turned out a little more recognizable :)
Any bits of help and critiques helps a lot :)
those are the reference sheets i got for Amanda Peet but it looks nothing like her at the end ...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3377334/polycount/amanda%20peet%202.jpg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3377334/polycount/amanda%20peet.jpg

AP1.jpg

and few other head sculpts

steve%20final.jpg
sitting%20bull.jpg

bb2.jpg

Replies

• JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The key to modeling women is mostly just subtleties. The reason why men are easier are mostly that you can just add wrinkles and hard edges and they "get cooler" and it adds character yet with women it is the opposite.

my 2cents at least
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with what JGcount said. Also the features are very important when making an attractive female face.

I think you can improve the lips, especially at the corners. They need to be deeper, and there's a little curve up at the end.
    The eyes are also obviously very important to get right. I think you can improve the lids. Notice how the upper lid is thicker than the lower, and that the narrowest part is at the outside end, where the fat pad below the eyebrow covers it a bit. The definition around the tearduct is also a bit lumpy.
    The nose is pretty close, but I think the bridge is blending to smoothly into the ball of the nose.

Good luck!
  • 100Chihuahuas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    100Chihuahuas polycounter lvl 7
    Females are harder because their features are softer and much more subtle :)
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    In general, female faces tend towards having more prominent cheekbones and they're higher as opposed to the jaw in men which is wider and more defined. The female face also has more rounded features compared to the male, which has more angled features. The jaw on your sculpt is wider than the reference. Your jaw slope is wide and shallow. The reference is narrow and steep.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    It may also be worth mentioning the natural tendancies dudes have when sculpting characters. We (artists) tend to put a lot of our own features into our work when doing humanoid anatomy. That's why all my characters are extremely handsome and beef cake.

But seriously, we tend to put ourselves in our work. If you're a dude modeling a female, and you haven't really "mastered the craft" then you can end up with some pretty gnarly looking women.

Just a thought.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    disanski wrote: »
    Hey guys I have been practicing some head sculpts lately and for the most part I like how they turn out that is before i start sculpting females :)
    I just dont understand what am I doing wrong and with tons of reference I still cant tell what is wrong and how do I fix it?
    Here is the problem one and after that I will post the busts that turned out a little more recognizable :)
    Any bits of help and critiques helps a lot :)
    those are the reference sheets i got for Amanda Peet but it looks nothing like her at the end ...
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3377334/polycount/amanda%20peet%202.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3377334/polycount/amanda%20peet.jpg

I would recommend using some anatomical reference photos made specifically for 3D artists, like 3D.sk or Virtual pose. Basically all you need is good frontal and side shots of the same head. The female head you have here have some fundamental anatomy flaws, which can be easily fixed by using good ref pictures.

Trying to recreate a face from such different pictures you have there is kinda hard.

Oh yeah, browsing through some digital sculpting galleries (Zbrushcentral) or classic sculptures helps alot, since those dont have texture and shape is much easier to read, you could learn alot from those.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate all the help.
    JGcount : Thanks man. I see what you mean and I understand this I guess i just need to find a way to use this in my work.
    Jaco - thanks a lot for the good point. I think many times when trying to sculpt something in order to stay away from cliches I tend to choose females or even males with not so attractive features. Thanks for the point for the lips and eye lids.. I had to retopo this because it is from a zscetch.
    tylarpelto - thanks man :)
    greever - thanks man I see it now. I was afraid I might loose the jaw all together if I move it in more. Sometimes I am very confused looking at reference and thinking about what I know about anatomy ( which as you can see it is not a lot) .
    nfrrtycmplx - yeaa that must be it :) thank you
    slipgatecentral - thanks a lot. You are right I was having hard time using all of those different pictures she has different expressions on all of them and i guess that makes it harder. Also the make up of the eyes and so on can make it look so much different :)
    I never used 3d.sk so far but i has been recommended so many times I will check it out :)
    Thanks everybody.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I am finally doing another female bust study and this time I spent more time on it and it feels like improvement over the last try :) What helped me more than the anatomy books that I have was images that I found online with the planes of the female face :)
    I got some feedback already and going to fix some little things tomorrow and also going to give her hair and eyelashes :)
    Any more help with this would be very appreciated.
    ZBrush_2011-09-05_23-31-102.jpg
  • mjackson126
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a huge improvement on your last female sculpt. I think the fatty area just below the brow ridge could be a bit too inflated atm. Other than that I think it looks good. Good job man.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Latest one is a huge improvement. As a whole there's some pretty simple rules, guys tend to have a more defined brow/jawline. If you have a pronounced either of those things, it's going to wind up looking "manly".

For some quick ideas, might as well look at Hazardous' portfolio. Since he pretty much does nothing but girls. :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Take a piece of paper, and draw what you intend to model. Then, model!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mjackson126 - thanks man I will see if i can trim it down a bit.

Two Listen- thank you :) I have a big folder with all the images hazardous ever posted on the internet. Thanks for the good points too- I was thinking the other day how hard would it be to make a female with a defined jawline...

Pior- thank you and this is probably very good suggestion - the thing is I am really bad with drawing, but I guess soon or later I need to learn. Just not too sure how I feel about learning to draw right now as I know it is not something that happens overnight.

Thanks again for all the tips I am going to finish her tomorrow and I was thinking to retopologize it and use this as a base mesh but this is probably not good idea as I feel I will learn more if i start from scratch every time.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Today i made few adjustments but nothing major and added some pores and bumps to the skin. Also made hair :) I made eyelashes as well but they did not come out good so the shot is without them. I am thinking what should I start tomorrow - full female body or just another bust.....
    Here is the image and thanks again everybody :

ZBrush_2011-09-07_00-35-56.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Hi neighbour! Nice progress :)

BTW I think you really should consider Pior's advice. It will make you a happier sculpter for sure. When you skip the concept stage, you have to think about two aspects of your work when you are working on the model: the design, forms, silhouette etc. and the execution methods like brushes, alphas etc. Separating those two stages will give you a faster and less bumpy way to work.

You're right about it not being an overnight process but I think you can start having fun in some weeks :)
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    disanski wrote: »
    Today i made few adjustments but nothing major and added some pores and bumps to the skin. Also made hair :) I made eyelashes as well but they did not come out good so the shot is without them.
    Why would you start detailing if the shapes of the face aren't ready yet. Get back to the lower levels of density and sculpt until it looks absolutely right to you, then come back to a denser mesh and start sculpting the finer details.

I wouldn't do anything else if I where you until you fixed that head. Fixing your weaker models is a much more valuable learning process then simply starting from scratch and try again or move to something else. Don't run from your weaker pieces, they make you stronger.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EmAr - did not know you were from Turkey :) (Ankara is great city man) back on topic : I have no doubts that what Pior is suggesting is not good idea as he is one of my heroes on this forum and I will try to draw them first :)

EVIL - thanks for your advice man. I am actually not sure how this could be improved right now so this is why I wanted to start new one. I agree I dont have to run from my weak pieces and by doing this so far I learned a lot. I will have another look at her and see what else I can polish ...
    Thanks again.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    Yo m8, that's a big improvement you've got from the first to the second bust.

I've noticed you have a tendency to give your characters a jutting chin. Notice how the jaws on all of your characters, at least those we can see from the profile and clearly determine that, have a jutting chin )the jaw is pushed forward).

That could be a feature you have on your own face, or just a natural tendency because of the way you studies facial structure or something alike.

Women tend to have a receding chin, their jaw is pretty small and the bottom lip is usually behind the top lip. That's something you see in children, babies, etc.

Men tend to have bigger jaws, pushing their bottom lip over their top lip.
    But that's not always the case.

Also important about females - most features are just hinted. The face is like a sleek, smooth surface from which all features just barely pop out of. you usually don't really see any hard features - if you took an AO pass of a female face, you'd barely have any shaded areas on it. Just eye lines, nostrils, very little around the nostril area, some lips, and hardly anything else. Even the brow area is very smooth and hinted. It's all about subtle details.

In general, female features are:
    Smaller nose (even females with a big nose have a small nose when measured, it seems big compared to their face), much smaller jaw, round shapes, no corners or hard features, smooth surface on the face, hinted features. Also you might notice round eyebrows, big eye lashes, generally bigger eyes...

To make a face more feminine, try to look at "ideal" female faces.
    From Tom Richmond's blog, the ones he gives as examples are:
    Spencer Grammer, Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn, and once you see those you probably will be able to think of some of your own "ideal females". :)

Good luck!
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Blaken.

Totally right about the chin - not sure about before but for this last one the reference I was using was like that. I will keep that in mind for the next face and even try how it looks on this one :)

Thank yo for the long reply- very helpful.
    The names you mentioned got me confused for a second as those are popular female actress but to be honest they did not strike me with very attractive face features especially Spencer Grammer - yep she has big eyes but besides that .. hmm not sure - and I am not disagreeing here just trying to think. I believe thise are just typical female faces and I have to try to study them.
    After reading Hazardous post about the females I guess the smartest thing would be to take attractive features from different faces and combine them together :)

Thanks again for the help.
  • Ravenok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ravenok polycounter lvl 7
    No problem m8 :)

About the names I mentioned - well, they're not supposed to be attractive, just typical. The proportions are "typical female". You can find plenty of typical females and many of them will be unattractive to you, but the features are all similar proportions and the overall shape of the head (as mentioned, wider, higher cheekbones, etc) is very similar.

Which brings me to the next point:
    I wouldn't recommend creating a mix of different faces you find attractive.
    There's something you probably heard of called "uncanny valley" - this is the feeling we get when we look at something that's been created by man, but tries to mimic nature.

Artists with great expertise can pull it off - inventing faces from scratch, mixing features, animating natural movement, behavior, etc. It's by no means impossible. But that's further away down the road. You might get some good results by trying to mix features, but that's not "the way to go" if you ask me. I think a better practice would be to really, really study a few faces you find appealing, and then, after hours of practice on those specific features, try to draw/sculpt a face using your intuition. That what I usually do - I find things that really inspire me, I study them a lot, and then I use the bits of information I took from those studies and I try to let them influence my work in general. Can't say I do that enough, by the way. :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaken .. you have no idea how helpful all of this is :)
    I am on it . Will show results soon :)
    Thanks a lot
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    female-bust-study-finalSFW.jpgI took a step back and listening to all the great advise I got, I went back and moved some parts around. Not a lot it is all very subtle again but i hope it is improvement :)
    female-bust-study-finalSFW.jpg

I also started drawing as I was advised and to be honest I am not sure what am I doing :) I have some Loomis books and they feel more helpful now opposed to when I use them while sculpting.
    Nothing really worth critiques I guess just posting my first drawings on paper . It does feel way more comfortable to sketch on paper than on the tablet, but when it gets to shading I am not so sure what is going to happen. I am gonna do more of those before I try to do a real face I guess.
    IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg

And just wanted to try this to see how bad it is :) so i went to PS and tried to paint Audrey Hepburn and I will probably try that again on paper:
    combined.jpg

Now I see i have a supper long way to go with the drawing and I will be trying when I have time but in the meantime I will do another bust :)
    Thanks everybody.
    female-bust-study-finalSFW.jpg
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Polycount :)
    I worked on another female bust. Started from zspheres again and I did not add hair yet as I am not sure what am i doing with this head - I might use it for a full character :)
    So better, worst?
    Thanks.

ZBrush_2011-09-20_22-51-08.jpg