Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Zane Devon

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys, I'm in my third year at Ferris State University and was would like some feedback on my website/portfolio. I recently updated it so that I could apply for an internship this summer. Please tear my stuff apart, I want to improve as much as I can!

zanedevon.com

I'm still working on getting the blog portion to look the same as the rest of the site. (Including adding links back to the main site.)

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Nice crisp portfolio design and good idea with icons that link to work on other sites. Maybe you could make those icons follow the page so that they are always seen/available?

Diffuse

You don't have to outline every single panel in rust, there's a thread on Polycount about this. It's not nice on the eyes and takes away from the overall image. Try to localise dammage in certain places that are in constant use, like doors and wing mirrors, or parts that are in a position where the elements and or terrain can do serious dammage, the bonnet, wheels etc. If you are unsure, photo references ftw.
    Also, it's noticable that you are using monotone colour while just layering rust on top. If you want rust or dammage to pop nicely you need to paint variations underneath. Darker or lighter, a different hue, maybe yellow green, yellow or other complimentary colours. If your subtle, you can have a nice looking vehicle even before you put that first spot of rust on! This also can help you plan out the dammage areas or points of interest.

Specular

If you hadn't pointed out that you were using specular I wouldn't have known. Improving your diffuse work will make this better but it seems some settings could be dodgy?

ps: only one thing jumped out at me! Muscle fibres were expected instead of breast skin.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's up Zane, I saw you on the street the other day didn't realize it was you til we passed each other. The new site layout looks nice having the art in your face and big to start.

As far as the spec maps are concerned this polycount thread helped me understand them a bit better I think. I'm sure there is someone with some better advice for you, spec maps are something I'm learning myself.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77695&highlight=tutorial+specular

also this color tutorial is amazing and helped me a lot recently
    http://purplekecleon.deviantart.com/art/How-I-See-Color-A-Tutorial-184642625
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    What kind of internship are you looking for? It's a big problem that you don't have "finished" character ie a textured one. If you want to be a character artist you need to show that you can pull the whole process off with a nice result. It's really hard to land character artist jobs these days.

I agree with the others regarding the diffuse/specular on the cars as well, though I believe the specmaps are the thing you need to work on most right now.

I think the portfolio site is nice, it's easy to navigate and find your info. Though you might want to consider making sure that you resum
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CGMP - Good idea with the icons, I'll have to see if I can figure out how to implement that. Thanks a lot for the tips on rust! I'll definitely have to go in and revisit those textures.

@Shaffer - Thanks! Those articles are great, thanks for sharing.

@chrisradsby - An internship related to prop art or characters would be awesome. I'm actually working on the texturing for the Iris and Levitt characters, however I needed to apply to one of my internship possibilities by the 15th of Feb, so I had to get what I had together. I'll definitely be updating those as soon as I can.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Overall, you've got a rather good portfolio site set up, sir. While I don't really have any critiques, I am curious about the XNormal UI work that's posted on your blog. Are those just still images? or have you actually implemented them into the program?
  • beta_channel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beta_channel polycounter lvl 7
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @darbeenbo - Alas and alack, the XNormal UI is only a Photoshop mock up.

I did a little work on the rust/dust pass for one of the vehicles. Haven't done any work on the spec yet, this is just flat diffuse. Any critiques?

CmdTruckWIP01.jpg
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What I think GCMP was saying about the rust is that it's too uniform and on every panel/edge. You certainly added some contrast to the texture but you should probably take some of that rust off and only leave it only where it makes sense.

Just look up pictures of rusty cars and see how they don't rust everywhere, "honda rot" comes to mind. There are certain places on a vehicle that receive more damage or collect water and everually rust faster/ become damaged.

If i were you I would chalk those vehicles up as a learning experience and push forward with your new stuff/finish those chars you have going.