Home Technical Talk

Maya rendering help.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Hi this may not be big of an issue enough to start a new thread, but it`s kinda urgent so i hope you can understand me.

As for the question, I`m trying to find a way to render out an image of an object, "in this case a train" with no shadow and with all parts divided into groups of high contrast colors, so i can mask these parts easier when i do post editing.

I could always find a solution doing this just using normal materials, but as its a 5000 x 5000 resolution image, and one of many, i think i should ask if there is a better time saving method.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    have you tried rendering using the maya vector renderer with fill objects and single colour turned on? it might not be high contrast enough but it should flatten all the lighting and texture information and just display each object as a single flat colour.

hope this helps
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    So basically you just want and RGB mask? Have you tried applying a 'constant' shader to each mesh that you want to mask and just change the colours on each? You probably want to do this as a pass/render layer so you don't have to override your current shaders.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    As for the question, I`m trying to find a way to render out an image of an object, "in this case a train" with no shadow and with all parts divided into groups of high contrast colors, so i can mask these parts easier when i do post editing.

Set up a new render layer / render pass, and assign a Surface Shader to each of the different groups. Set the Out Color of each surface shader to the high contrast color you want the group to be. This works out well for masking as Surface Shaders always render as what you set the Out Color to be, regardless of lighting conditions (unless of course you connect a node to the Out Color that relies on lighting conditions).