Home Technical Talk

Maya stuck selecting random verts?

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
So over the course of working with Maya I have run into the same awful problem a few times where Maya will switch to some super odd selecting method where I am unable to select specific verts or specific sets of verts. Instead it will only select random verts every time I make a selection box over my model. Also when this happens I cannot select edges at all, but I can select faces perfectly fine.

No one at work could figure out what was causing it. It is some marking menu check box that gets turn on, that I know for sure as every time I run into the issue it is because I am fastly clicking away and I hold some combination of buttons down while dragging the mouse specifically to the right that I see a marking menu with an unselected checkbox appear and disappear quickly and then I run into said issue.

I have pretty much rolled my face on my keyboard trying to find what combination I hit to get it to appear with no luck. And with all these different marking menus and hidden marking menus inside other marking menus I'm afraid I many never find it. I believe its called "Camera something something" which a unselected check box in front of Camera.

Anyway sorry for being so wordy but the only way I have found to get rid of said problem is to delete my User Prefs as if I exit Maya with this issue it will persist on start up.

Thanks!

Replies

• Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    This is the exact behavior I get when I turn on "camera based selection" on my work machine (either in Preferences > Selection, or in the tool options), so maybe try turning that off/on to see if it changes anything.
    I have no idea why it doesn't work right sometimes, it works perfectly on my home machine.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    in my 8 years of using maya i never experienced what you are describing ...

sometimes there is a bug where an old selection is still being shown( as highlights) but those faces and verts dont actually move when you move other stuff this often happens after using the edge loop tools ...

dont know if that is what you are describing !?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Awesome Bal that was it! Finally can turn that crap off if it gets turned on without having to delete my prefs, thanks a ton :)

and yeah warby I get that odd highlighted verts and edges that are not actually selected too
  • nightshade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you select all the old components and then de-select them it goes away