Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Mode TF2 New Stuff!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
Hey Everyone, I just finished up a project started a while ago that was started here

I am proud to be showing off my work from this project finally!

I hope everyone likes the new additions and achievements!

They have been submitted to valve and I would highly appreciate support for getting these items ingame.

Hosting is temporarily on my website and will be changed in a few weeks.

Medieval Update Page 1

Medieval Update Page 2

Medieval Update Page 3

(or just use the arrows at the top to navigate)

I felt this needed it's own thread apart from the TF2 Hats and Items thread since this is a finished project and not a WIP. I am not responsible for the text on this page, only the pieces themselves and the website layout/design.

Comments and questions are welcome!

Replies

• uneditablepoly
    This is awesome! The achievements are hilarious haha.. And all this stuff looks really fun. Good work!
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much! Glad to hear good feedback as the first reply!

pretty nervous about it, it's been my baby for the last two months!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like you've put a lot of effort into this. Some good stuff, particularly the engineer's items.

The drawn crossbow string needs to be straight to look like its taut, rather than the curving arc that you've got at the moment.

Some of the textures, most notably Nidhogg's Breath (great name) could use a little more development to keep them consistant with the games art style.

My only other query is the Chimera in a jar. The word means, more or less, a combination of animals. It's used in genetics when they splice the genes of two different creatures together as well as in Greek mythology with the monster that was a combination of lion, goat and snake. It might be better to go with a name that relates more specifically to a firey creature maybe a salamander or ifrit or something.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crits Jackablade, about the names, I did not come up with them and have nothing to do with them in a way haha, but i'll be sure to pass them along to Adam, who had all of this done.

Now for the model crits, that is all me haha, you are right about the string, I did not think about that at all when modeling, great suggestion.

EDIT: Read the critique incorrectly, thought it was suggesting the model itself needed changing instead of the texture, still - thanks for the crit :)
  • Peachrocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Looks like you've put a lot of effort into this. Some good stuff, particularly the engineer's items.

The drawn crossbow string needs to be straight to look like its taut, rather than the curving arc that you've got at the moment.

Some of the textures, most notably Nidhogg's Breath (great name) could use a little more development to keep them consistant with the games art style.

My only other query is the Chimera in a jar. The word means, more or less, a combination of animals. It's used in genetics when they splice the genes of two different creatures together as well as in Greek mythology with the monster that was a combination of lion, goat and snake. It might be better to go with a name that relates more specifically to a firey creature maybe a salamander or ifrit or something.

Hey its 'Adam'. Project Manager and I'm glad you guys liked the effort we did. Nobody mentioned it but I felt I should put in game effects whether Valve use them or not, I felt it helped the design process and of course if I could test said effects for better gameplay, I would, I'm very big on that.

I admittedly had problems with this name, I really couldn't think of anything, burning oil was just too bland. At first I used dragon in a jar but since I already used the Nidhogg I wanted something else mythical that breathed fire since the theme is Pyro being a mythical monster.

Oh and as for your reply in the base thread I considered posting it there. I was really never sure where to post this because it was technically a request.
  • Pogo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should check this out:
    http://medieval.kritzkast.thepodkast.com/

It's a community pack for medieval themed items and I think this would go down really well!
  • Peachrocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We knew about this. We talked with them a bit but it was clear our directions were a touch different :). Mostly on the fact that they wanted things that made the original weapon effects work meaning most of the Engineer stuff, the scout stuff (except the melee) and the Pyro jar, would all be illegal submissions under their rules.

I guess the entire reason I started the project was that I wanted all the classes to be seriously viable rather than just two and I fear this rule counteracts that. Sure Pyro flamethrower varients would allow him/her to step up but little more.

Simply put, Demoman dominates at melee, Sniper dominates at long range. Unless you start giving classes primaries that are legal for use (e.g Javelin for Scout since he cannot honestly have anything like the Scattergun in medieval, the Engie barely gets away with gunpowder) you will find that having more viable classes is difficult.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    cool items and idea. alot of the textures could use some work though. they're looking pretty flat, so some grunge, scratches etc.. would really help them out. Also might be how your rendering them? are these in game shots? some spec would most def help make the metal on all that stuff pop better. very matte looking atm.
  • Sharc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharc polycounter lvl 7
    With a little touch up on the textures to be more tf2 styled I think these are pretty nice.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oobersli these were rendered within Maya using Mental ray and a basic lighting setup. I would have loved to have gotten them in game but the timescale of this project did not allow time for learning how to export to the Source Engine along with having the weapons usable/attached. If anyone would like to do that for this project I'm sure Adam would be happy to let them compile and import the objects with correct weighting and bones.

I agree on the spec, thank you for the crits and comments everyone!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    also, forgot to add, but how are you guys texturing? the cannon just looks like you're overlapping uv's on to swatches of blue or black? a custom ao bake to overlay in your diff would help seperate the shapes a TON.

the pyro cannon needs more work on the head. right now its hard to tell if its metal/stone. add some dings to give it a hammer metal look or something just so its not so flat.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are fully laid out UV's, some are mirrored to save on texture space, I agree an AO Bake would help, I agree with everything actually haha.

Here are the tex sheets for the red and blue Earthshaker, put the wire on the BLU so you could see the layout.
    texsheets.jpg

In case anyone was wondering all items that are blue also have red versions.
  • Hobowrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Great job. I really hope this is implemented.