Home General Discussion

Rare lays off all artists

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
monster polycounter
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/rare-makes-staff-cutbacks

“Rare has cut their last permanent members of art staff. All artists working there are temps.”

I hope all you guys land on your feet. This sucks.

Replies

• Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Seeing all these layoffs and not receiving any replies to applications makes me wonder if I chose the right career >_>
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very sad news, was this quite unexpected too?

I noticed they were advertising their 2011 internships literally a couple of weeks ago.

Best of luck to those affected.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sad news... I hope all effected not only find jobs, but find better jobs than the ones they left.

Also, it wouldn't shock me if Rare finally goes under. It wouldn't be the first time their head as dipped below the waves, but this probably will be the last time...
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Yea, very strange, my buddy who works at rare asked me only a few days ago if I wanted to go for a job up there. Hope he and everyone else there is ok. Is this a redundancy thing or change in contracts though? so everyones a short term contractor instead of permanent? permanent contracts are almost non existent these days anyway and it doesnt save you from redundancies either. My brothers gone through all this a few times and its not pretty.

I agree, this might go like bizarre creations, they havent made anything substantial in a while.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    HOLY ****

I thought they were the last safe house in the UK, where because they had Microsofts coin they were safe from this sort of thing. They were my number one choice to apply to because of this (and their high quality games). I really can't believe this, I'm stunned. :(
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe this is a sign of the times? Perhaps indie is the way to go now? I've heard about more at the indie front going on in the past 2 years than I ever did in the 8 years prior. It's where the most of the innovation is coming from these days. Just look at Magicka. Good luck to the Rare guys that lost their jobs.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Honestly it just seems like a lot of UK studios are having some tough times. Wish everyone over there the best of luck.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I hope people that were left without a job find something soon to make the transition as fast and painless as possible. The market is very demanding and it's not that easy to land a job.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas wrote: »
    HOLY ****

I thought they were the last safe house in the UK, where because they had Microsofts coin they were safe from this sort of thing. They were my number one choice to apply to because of this (and their high quality games). I really can't believe this, I'm stunned. :(
    Yea I don't know if you should bank on Rare's sugar daddy. They seem to be floundering and making bone headed decisions for the last decade... They lost a lot of money fighting and losing Anti-Trust lawsuits in the EU in addition to many failed hardware ventures.

Win7 really hasn't been able to wash out the bad taste of vista and the disappointment over the abandonment of XP. The Kinect still has to prove itself as a worthy replacement for what would normally be the next console generation... Which it looks like they've tied Rare's fate to the kinect, if that's true its... scary.

Personally I think they pay a few people way too much money and they're out of touch, getting old and not really sure what to do. It has to say something when Robbie Bach, who led the hardware division, stepped down after 22 years and J Allard, who had managed the technical development of the Xbox and the Zune, stepped down roughly about the same time.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Another step towards the film industry. Start pre-production with your small core team and then ramp up to full production via contractors. Once the project is done everyone goes home or on to the next gig.

Personally I'd rather they adopt the contractor mindset, these layoffs after a project are finished are the worst because there is a giant air of secrecy over who/when/if. At least with a contract you know when your end date is and you can line up the next gig in advance instead of being kicked out on your ass.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    re: film industry

problem is, there is no hub in the UK where the majority of studios are located. that's quite a difference to the london VFX shops which are mostly based around the same few streets in soho, central london.

being an on-site contractor in games would mean moving around all over the country. many studios are not even located in bigger cities but smaller towns or - like rare - somewhere in the middle of nowhere. a lot of them are far from london, actually.
    not an attractive proposition for the single twentysomething junior artist, eh? ;) and many of the more experienced people (outside london) have families, own property and thus are location bound.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Which it looks like they've tied Rare's fate to the kinect, if that's true its... scary.

Aye, was afraid that Rare would become MS's 'Kinect' studio. Maybe it's time they called up their old 'sugar daddies' :P
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Speaking of UK..how's Lionhead doing?
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Pseudo wrote: »

Personally I'd rather they adopt the contractor mindset, these layoffs after a project are finished are the worst because there is a giant air of secrecy over who/when/if. At least with a contract you know when your end date is and you can line up the next gig in advance instead of being kicked out on your ass.

thats how vancouver seems to be these days and it sucks balls. so many artist looking for work, the contracts all have no sick days, no paid overtime or benefits. not to mention no severance when your contract is up. there is nothing in the employees favor and studios seem to realize and exploit this nowdays.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I checked the Wiki out and it doesn't look like they've been doing much recently anyway. Porting old N64 stuff to XBLA? Seems pretty small-time. Sucks for whoever was laid off, certainly. To a better future?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXoaTcf_3vo[/ame]
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    They made Kinect sports and were supposed to be working on other Kinect stuff. Microsoft just made a fuck-ton of money over the holidays from Kinect.

Does not compute?!

Best of luck to those affected....
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    This is such a bummer. I remember Rare back in the Snes and N64 days putting out blockbuster after blockbuster and some of the greatest games of those generations. Grant Kirkhope, their old composer is one of my favorite composers of all time. It's a shame to see a mighty giant with so much talent fall so hard. I'm pretty curious what caused it...I did notice their quality of games going very downhill after Microsoft acquired them..
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Uk games industry is really really scary right now, unless you can move around the country on a wim or are crazy talented then its not very stable. We have lost so many great studios the past year and its not as if we had many to begin with, and the amount of redundancies I hear about is ridiculous. All these poor artists now have hardly anywhere to go for work, it really is a nightmare. I think juniors and seniors wont find it so hard but people like me are finding it very difficult to get back into the studio. just no jobs going :( and then my brothers moaning because hes forced to make kids games......atleast you got work hahaha!!!!

the rare thing sounds a bit weird though. I thought pretty much everywhere was working through short term contractors and then renewing everyone when necessary? Its the only smart way to do it these days so the company never has to pay out big redundancy packages. I think since free radical was established I lost alot of interest in rare, it almost felt like they stole all the good people lol.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Ffs, i was aiming for rare, ive got another three years to go but still ;(
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Aw man, that's lame. Weirdness.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Andreas wrote: »
    Hy had Microsofts coin they were safe from this sort of thing.:(

It's probably because they are on M$ coin that it in part happened. M$ LOVES temp contract workers for anything except its core business heads/staff.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    The death of a legendary studio perhaps? :( Rare is the company that made the N64 worth owning! No one could compete with them back then...

Conkers Bad Fur Day is still in the top3 of my greatest games ever made list
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    sad news... but it had seamed like a banana boat with a slow puncture recently....hope everyone overboard finds something a little more sustainable... which seams hard in the uk atm...scary
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    That sucks :(

Wish them luck though.

* Fingers crossed for them going to Crytek UK for some ex-Rare reunion :D
  • MattLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    god damnit... this sucks. I hope they make it through this ok.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Crappy news!!

If any of the laid off folks are Senior Character or Environment artists and read this thread.....PM me!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it would be sad to see Rare as a brand name go away, but they haven't been the same since they got bought. I thought I read that a majority of their designers left when they got bought.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Man, this sucks. Even more so, because these things aren't so rare anymore... Ok, you can shoot me, that was a mean pun - but, to be honest, I didn't even know Rare still made anything - I only remember their logo in the original Donkey-Kong, and nothing else. Guess I'm blind.
    Regardless, it's very sad to see this happen...
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Gah this really sucks to hear. I loved Rare games back in the day. Banjo Kazooie, god I loved both on the 64. Its a shame the studio is going to be stuck making trashy kinect avatar games now : /
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Neox wrote: »
    meh

~ Bit harsh on the newly unemployed, no?
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    sorry to seem sort of harsh, but it seems this is how games are going to be made in the future, kind of reminicesnt of the film industry, where its more project based.job security sucks but the sooner that the workforce gets used to it and as individuals plan for these things happening then the better off you'll be. Yes its not ideal with no job security, but as an individual you have to make the choice to be in that industry or not.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I just ended up going back to working IT Support recently, going to continue lurking PC and doing mah arts, but for myself and for mod groups, indie's.. Don't feel like moving from job to job, and state to state to find work anymore. I had a couple good years in the game industry, but they are always looking for a new way to cut costs/artists and there's fresh talent in the wings waiting for that 'dream' job and will take next to nothing as pay. There's a reason there's not many people at a job in the game industry at the same job for more then 5 years..
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Dreamer wrote: »
    ~ Bit harsh on the newly unemployed, no?

what that i think the whole situation sucks? whoah just read what it means in english - sorry meh to me was always a sign of dislike, disgust or maybe rejection - not a sound i would make if i don't care, maybe hm would fit better for me in that case - not gonna use it again in an english forum i guess :X

reading further into this i guess it has different meanings
    dictLeo wrote:

Context/Sample: I was looking forward to watching the new movie. But after the movie my feeling for the movie was sort of "meh"!

Comment: Ausdruck des "Nicht-begeistert-seins".
    Ausdruck des "Nicht-begeistert-seins" = Expression of not beeing delighted
    dictLeo wrote:
    Source:

well, to me, it means that you're saying "fuck it"

or it could also be like "eh" when you've had an "eh" day

"how was last night?" "eh"

Comment:

thats what a buddy from america told me.

Really i always thought it was a sign of disapproval and not apathy or "i don't care", so to make it clear it's a totally messed up situation. especially with microsoft as their owner and the sales of kinect in mind - i somewhat doubt it was done to rescue the company, yet again i gues sits so safe a few bucks.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Ack, that's terrible :( Rare was the company that really got me into videogames with Donkey Kong for the snes, sad to hear such an old timer starting to bite it..

Hope those let go find something better, maybe found their own thing if possible.
    Indie really seems to be taking over, if anything can come from all these layoffs it's new companies and a higher quality of innovation in games, or a crash, I hope it's not a crash :(
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems like employment in the Games industry is now following VFX studios with short term contracts, guess it's goodbye to job security '___'

Hope they all land on their feet though..