Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Reg Alson

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I can't tell if the anatomy is supposed to look that way for style, or if it's just poor anatomy.

I think there's an issue with the eyes, they feel...

A. Too Small
    B. Too Far Apart
    C. Or Both A and B.
  • Mike Yevin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Yevin polycounter lvl 11
    i would take some time to check out reference regarding the shape and size of the skull, as well as the basic shapes and plans of the face. right off the bat i can see that the face looks rather flat, the eyes are too large and far apart and the ears need some further definition.

i am no expert with topology but the polyflow looks pretty good to me
  • Cooljay
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    Move the bottom jaw back as well. Underbite is associated with being unintelligent (The classic "caveman" has perpetuated this), and it would be bad for your hero to be seen as dumb.
  • Cooljay
  • acarr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acarr polycounter lvl 6
    His top lip should be extending to about the same level as his bottom lip, for the most part.

Example:
    10yhxl3.png

Also, the tip of his nose needs to be moved back and rounded off a little more. Nostrils might need to be defined a little more as well.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    You aren't seeing it, take a step back and look at it a week later, this guy quite literally looks retarded - no offense honestly. Unless that's what you were going for you need to rework it. The jaw needs to be much lower still and the overall roundness and shape of the head needs reworking. His forehead is humongous and the shape of the skull on the back is far too large.

Take a look at this demohead from zbrush, it's not perfect as nothing is but it's a lot closer to what you need to be going for

headfront.png
    headside.png

It doesn't matter how good the toplogy is if the model itself still looks bad, work on your form, worry about the topology later, it's fairly easy to change, maybe pick up a copy of topogun if you are that concerned about it.
  • Cooljay
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've improved a lot here, however there are still many problems, he is lacking an upper lip and his ear looks nothing like one. His eyes are sunk in and they are very tiny compared to his overall face, there are some lumps in the geometry too. His nostrils are stretched and pulled upward too.

Overall you are getting close but you have a very long journey to go, try to not think of this as your future final product, just consider it a learning piece and perhaps start a new one. People do not create the protagonist of a game from their first model, reworking it takes longer than just redoing it. I took a look at some of your older threads and you have definitely come a long way, but still have a ways to go.

Keep it up and you'll get there :)

Also do you have any reference for this guy? Reference for human faces is almost always necessary.
  • Cooljay
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah i've never heard of him before, I would definitely say go for full on, once you achieve the realism if you need to make changes to make it look like not him then that's fine and will be easier once you;ve gotten the right shapes
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Huge improvement over the first post, but still looking a bit... well, inhuman. The eyes are too far apart for sure. Just the basic skull structure needs some rethinking. It would be nice to have a straight on and a profile shot so we can give some more informed critiques though.

Also, are the ears going to be covered? It doesn't seem like you're even trying to sculpt them. It's not as hard a task as it seems, just follow reference closely.
  • Cooljay
  • Cooljay