Home General Discussion

Thoughts on Render Farms and Boxx tech?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
The company I work for is exploring options for a new render farm. We’ve been using two custom built computers IT put together for us a while back as our farm and they just aren’t cutting it anymore. I love my IT friends and all, but they don’t understand our needs. It takes almost two days to render 1,800 frames, roughly 2-6 minutes a frame depending on how close the camera is and other factors.

We’ve been looking at a few of the RenderBoxx and RenderPro options, and we like what we’re seeing, but we can’t really decide. First off, does anyone have any experience with using any of Boxx’s products? I’d love to hear about it, because it’s going to be my nuts if we invest in this and it doesn’t perform as expected.

We’re leaning towards RenderPro a little bit more because IT feels the need to not give us rights to our own farm. We can’t even delete a job without calling them up. At least with the RenderPro we don’t’ need IT around injecting their ideas of what is right and wrong, holy and unholy, into our daily lives. However, those little things don’t seem to pack as much punch for the price as a single RenderBoxx does.

The way I see it, it’s one RenderBoxx (lowest option is 16 cores) or two RenderPro’s (8 cores each) for my coworker and I. We’d probably try and network our RenderPro’s together between our two cubes. I’m honestly not sure which one at this point.

Anyway, enough blabbing. Who here uses a farm and what experience can you share with me? I suppose we’ll stop using backburner too and opt for Qube! or something. Backburner doesn’t seem very robust… if the task size in Maya is larger than 25, the farms seem to time out and the whole task gets deleted (many frames), causing us to lose time on the project. Once one render node goes out, it seems like that’s it. There’s no getting it back on board without restarting the job.