Home General Discussion

I model in my dreams...

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
Maybe it's because I'm learning so much at work right now, or about 1.5 months into using Maya, or because I love modeling, but I'm seriously dreaming about it a night. I'll be using Maya, zipping around the menu's, rotating the persp camera around, studying my geo and continually adding or adjusting geo.

I mean, it's not like it's a bad dream or anything. It's quite pleasant. If anything, it's a bit repetitive, but I feel like I'm actually learning in my sleep too.

This isn't uncommon for me actually. I'm a couple semester's away from getting my Bachelors in Computer Science with a focus on game programming (also have an AS in Animation), and because programming makes me mentally tired, I'm used to taking short cats naps during my breaks. If I'm debugging, more often than not I'll still think about the solution in my sleep, and sometime's I'll jump off the couch with the solution.

I'm pretty sure I'm a freak. Have any of you experienced this?

Replies

• disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Nope, never heard of anything like this.... :)
    Kidding.
    :)
    Sometimes it happens to me when I have to get up early in the morning and after I hear the alarm I dont wake up right away - most times is very helpful and it is related to what i am currently working on so I have to get up very fast and put it down on paper so I dont forget it... it is not like dreaming but more like thinking about on autopilot .... :)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Programming makes you mentally tired? Not for me! When I had a coding rush a couple months back, all I could dream of were lines of code, theories and formulas (all for thinking toward to colored lighting into a 8bpp renderer). You're having the same thing with modeling. It's normal!
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    No, and thank god! Because I'm pretty sure I could endlessly list things much more pleasant to dream about than 3d modeling, haha. I'm not saying that modeling is an unpleasant experience, I'm just saying I'd rather not dream about it.

However, I have had a couple of those weird dreams about waking up and doing a whole day's worth of activities. They're generally exhausting if anything.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently writing a character controller for my Unity project. I'm finding it pretty tough going as it's stuff I'm not used to, so I'm thinking about it a lot.

A few nights ago I dreamt I had to program my own movement abilities and I couldn't do things I hadn't programmed into my abilities yet. So I had to write code on the fly to let me do the stuff I wanted to do.

That was a stressful dream.
  • Shaffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I sleep model all the time, it's generally sculpting. I bet it helps me in the end, I rarely remember my dreams but when I'm heavy into sculpting a character, I often dream of it at night because I have the model image burned into my head spinning in zbrush.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    I tend to come up with alot of efficent ways around modeling in my dreams. Its like taking a step back and just understanding everything. Pretty sweet till you forget to write it down when you wake up.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Always dream of whatever it is I'm working on. Usually solving problems too which is always nice (if I could remember them properly the next day)

I like them mostly. Unless its one where your working and its looking really nice then maya crashes and corrupts the file...

:p
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I don't ever recall dreaming about modeling... I honestly don't remember most of my dreams

But, I do see shaders and texture maps whole I'm awake...
    Reality... It has more obvious tiling textures than one could ever get away with in cg.
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    Never slept modeled, but I have stock shelves in my dreams when I worked nights at a grocery store. I would come home in the morning and dream I was still at work.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    My last series director used to solve production issues in his sleep.

me, Ill stick to sexy ladies and spaceships :D
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Stradigos wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I'm learning so much at work right now, or about 1.5 months into using Maya, or because I love modeling, but I'm seriously dreaming about it a night. I'll be using Maya, zipping around the menu's, rotating the persp camera around, studying my geo and continually adding or adjusting geo.

I mean, it's not like it's a bad dream or anything. It's quite pleasant. If anything, it's a bit repetitive, but I feel like I'm actually learning in my sleep too.

This isn't uncommon for me actually. I'm a couple semester's away from getting my Bachelors in Computer Science with a focus on game programming (also have an AS in Animation), and because programming makes me mentally tired, I'm used to taking short cats naps during my breaks. If I'm debugging, more often than not I'll still think about the solution in my sleep, and sometime's I'll jump off the couch with the solution.

I used to do this a lot in school, and still do it from time to time, although I usually have dreams about optimizing meshes or unwrapping things or other gruntwork.

I'll wake up sometimes with ideas for how to solve topology issues if I leave work with one the night before.

I think it's relatively common for people who spend a lot of time thinking about their craft to take it to bed.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    The only experience I've had along these lines is when I've worked too long into the night.
    Attempting to get sleep is a horrid experience when all you can see when you close your eyes is normalmaps and UV Layouts :/
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »
    Programming makes you mentally tired? Not for me! When I had a coding rush a couple months back, all I could dream of were lines of code, theories and formulas (all for thinking toward to colored lighting into a 8bpp renderer). You're having the same thing with modeling. It's normal!

Only debugging. If I'm laying down new code it's not as bad.
    I used to do this a lot in school, and still do it from time to time, although I usually have dreams about optimizing meshes or unwrapping things or other gruntwork.

I'll wake up sometimes with ideas for how to solve topology issues if I leave work with one the night before.

This! Optimizing meshes and topology are the two things I probably dream about most. But actually, that's also the area I really seem to relish with modeling. Getting good geo and problem solving the topology. So maybe I'm havnig a geeks wet dream, lol. :poly122:
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    when walking around the real world I think about 3D all the time.

Like oh wow some should tone down that grunge map there.

That could use a few more polys to create a stronger silhouette.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Well here is my tip that I use to guide my dreams to not take a certain direction. Well often its when I dont want to dream at all and just want to wake up without remembering anything. When you lie down in in your bed, tell yourself not to dream about modeling, just to be sure you are doing it right, say it out loud enough for you to hear it yourself.

So that should sound simple, it is. Good luck!

That should do it.
    Altough dreaming about modeling I have found myself figuring out how to solve things for the next day which is kinda cool.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
  • JustinPunio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I try to keep a notepad next to me in bed as when I dream I sometimes come up with great ideas/solutions... ^^
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    The best dreams are the ones where you're modeling with no interface, its like the model is just floating in front of you and you can just move it around with your hands...yeah...in my dreams modeling is so much better.
  • elec²ron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    elec²ron polycounter lvl 12
    I occasionally wake up from a bad dream frantically trying to press Ctrl Z.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I occasionally wake up from a bad dream frantically trying to press Ctrl Z.

And then it crashes. Welcome to limbo! :D

when walking around the real world I think about 3D all the time.

I somewhat do this. When I see really interesting shapes I try and quickly imagine the geometry for it.

Glad to know I'm not crazy guys :) Looks like this is a lot more common than I thought. Sweet dreams!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    having such drams in half awake state is the worst
    i solved so much algorithmic problems just to weak up afterwards and havent solved anything... happens sorta every month to me
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    So UV mapping nightmare dreams anyone? :P
  • Poribo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poribo polycounter lvl 13
    Sometimes I see the world in polygons/wireframe, kinda like Neo how he sees the matrix.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14

Back in the "Lithunwrap3D is the best" days, yes. Not so much now.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    i'd just be glad the dreams im having are coherent enough to model in.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    I'm to busy killing lizards with dual knives and dinosaurs with bio guns... And having my way with sexy ladies, with the pedophile mans head on them.

Then usually skip to my next dream of killing Justin Beiber with Sarah Silverman.

The early morning dreams I have after those, when my brains like "you sticking for the after show eh?" are usually awesome as fuck.

I guess I just don't model enough! But If I was I would realize I was dreaming and probably fly straight the fuck out of there.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I sometimes have drawings dream where I just see my hand holding a pencil and draw... it's like an FPD dream.
    oh ye, and i have a lot of doom-like FPS dreams... those tend to be really creepy. I wake up exhausted from all the (shift) running
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I used to dream with super mario bros when i played the game till late (when i was a child).

It's normal to dream with something when it's the last thing we do before we go to sleep.

Solution: DISCONNECT a few hours before... you will have a healthier life.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Sometimes I see the world in polygons/wireframe, kinda like Neo how he sees the matrix.

I know what you mean, kinda funny somethimes.

Back in the days when i played CS all day, i´ve seen a little crosshair when i closed my eyes and heard AK47 firesounds when i tried to sleep.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Stradigos wrote: »

I dont want to get off the topic here but I just want to add one thing.

The dreams are reflections on what you do on daily basis. In other words, whatever you do in your day or if you do something soo much will repeat in your dreams by any means. Even if it wont make sense to you when you wake up.
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

That's really interesting and completely explains it. Thanks for the post.
    Solution: DISCONNECT a few hours before... you will have a healthier life.

Agreed, that does help. I don't know though, sometime's I want to dream about it. It's like I'm getting better at what I do around the clock, or compiling everything I've learned with everything I already know.
    When you lie down in in your bed, tell yourself not to dream about modeling, just to be sure you are doing it right, say it out loud enough for you to hear it yourself.

LOL, I did this last night and it actually worked. I'm going to try it again during the week.
    The dreams are reflections on what you do on daily basis. In other words, whatever you do in your day or if you do something soo much will repeat in your dreams by any means. Even if it wont make sense to you when you wake up.

I'm not so sure I agree. When I'm not dreaming modeling, I usually have pretty outlandish dreams and they are rarely of places I've been to. For instance, I JUST woke up from a nap 10 minutes ago and here's what I dreampt:

A buddy of mine was starting up a game company about 2 hours away from my house and wanted me to move to an apartment with the rest of the artists and him. This place was the shitter man. Think about old pool changing rooms with that brown/yellow tint all over these tile walls, and everything was always fraking wet and grungy. Anyway, to be a friend, I stayed the weekend and didn't go to the bathroom once in my dreams (which was having an effect on me, because I really did have to go). Anyway, this turned into the people I was with being the Gotei 13 from the popular (and terrible) Bleach anime/mange (which I read before bed...). Then this turned into a brawl between each other, which then turned into peaceful talking in a common room. Then I told my friend I had to leave and couldn't accept the position, especially for 1.4k a year... not when I'm making a lot more than that at my other job. That, and the conditions were crap.

So yeah, I guess the only carry over's where my friend, that I had to piss and Bleach. Everything else was fabricated. The places and the rest of the people were all made up on the spot. Pretty interesting how fast our brain does that, and how willingly our conscience accepts it as truth.
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    that sounds like a "normal" dream
  • dregoloth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've solved a lot of problems through dreams like this. They only happen to me when I'm stumped on something.

The solutions usually come in the form of a menu/dialogue box I'd come across or read about but had passed it up or forgotten about.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    Once I forgot to flip green channel in max to view the normal map and I couldn´t fall asleep until I realized this stupid mistake. But usually I´m solving all problems without really thinking about it. Sometimes I just take a break for a while, make a tea or start up some game, then all of the sudden it comes to me - Pause, check and problem solved.
    Anyway, solving problems with Maya in your dreams sounds a lot better than taking a math test that doesn´t make any sense and all the fuckers around are happy about how easy it is (a dream from my library).
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    When I was a kid, I used to see polygonal tentacles.. *cries*
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    If you're seeing 3D models in your dreams, you need to get off the computer more. If you don't wanna do that, at least come off your computer for like 1/2 hours before you go to sleep... Sounds like you're overworked!
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, I just really into my job! I've been working retail the past five years while going to school. About two months ago, I finally got my first full time animation job. I'm still pretty fired up about it and am really thriving in this new environment. I'm being challenged daily, as I should be, to grow. I'm in Maya all day at work and then I come home and hop on Maya again to try out some things and work on my own projects. I'm sure a few months from now I'll calm down, but I don't know, I'm just really happy to be 'here' in life finally.
  • murph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this has happened to me quite a bit as well. I can't tell you how many times I'll do something stupid (in real life) and my first instinct is to Ctrl-Z my way out of the mess I made.
  • sneakymcfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    murph wrote: »
    this has happened to me quite a bit as well. I can't tell you how many times I'll do something stupid (in real life) and my first instinct is to Ctrl-Z my way out of the mess I made.

I got one of my old chemistry exam papers back recently and just after a mistake was written ctrl+z under which the examiner had put a ? and marked me down one mark. I hadn't even noticed I did it at the time.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    haha, Im always trying to ctrl-z a bad stroke when sketching something out on paper.

just the other day, I saw a hexagonal plant pot the city put up, my first thought was 'man, they need to bump that up'
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Sometimes with my friends we hella nerd it up and drop the modeling sexual innuendo on people.

Lets just say I have seen a few chicks who have extruded my polygon :)
  • Kewop Decam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kewop Decam polycounter lvl 9
    sometimes I solve tech problems in my dreams. I dunno if I every had a dream about modeling though, just problem solving
  • Dn2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dn2 polycounter lvl 11
    murph wrote: »
    wow this happen to me once...weirdest feeling ever :/
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Autocon wrote: »
    Sometimes with my friends we hella nerd it up and drop the modeling sexual innuendo on people.

Lets just say I have seen a few chicks who have extruded my polygon :)

I had a rigid body interpenetration error last night. ;)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17

yes.... during a particularly bad crunch with relationships crumbling around me and working on shit title number 2 of my career...i was working on a level with alot of strip map edging on grass/mud slides.... did a whole nights work then woke up to realise i still had to do it again....agh fecking nightmare