Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Miscellaneous Scrap

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
Just going to post random scrap I model. Trying to do 1 every 2 days or so, depending on the complexity of the model.

Would appreciate suggestions for things to model and CnC.

I did this one a couple of days ago, it's a 7.62_25 FMJ Bullet.
330r0ow.jpg

2wp556h.png

2ihuz44.png

Wallpaper... some people on facebook wanted one, so like a slave I went to work.
2yngwlk.jpg

Replies

• XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished this one today, it's the RDP 2 Red Dot Sight.

I'm not the best at presenting things, so I hope these will suffice.
    30myikp.jpg

s0y5j9.jpg

2ur15hu.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Random USSR Marshall Hat. Didn't use any reference images for this one so it's probably not correct at all.
    slkvuo.jpg

2rdbx4m.png

I think I'm going to design a scene for rendering, just to make all these consistent. Time to research studio lighting!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Should do a depth pass on that bullet wallpaper I think.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Originally I had one, but my buddy didn't like it... lol
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would be interesting to see the sight textured, where you could see the red dot lit up if that is what you are going for.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I was going to say you need some reference for the hat. I haven't checked reference, but I know from other designs that there will be a lot more detail from straps, buttons, material joins etc...
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skuee wrote: »
    Would be interesting to see the sight textured, where you could see the red dot lit up if that is what you are going for.

I could go in later and start texturing, to be honest I'm just modeling as much as I can and build up a fatty database, probably release to to the public for UV and Texturing and whatever they want done with it, who knows. Or I might be a selfish fuck and keep it all to myself and work away like a slave.
    Yeah I was going to say you need some reference for the hat. I haven't checked reference, but I know from other designs that there will be a lot more detail from straps, buttons, material joins etc...

Yeah I'm going to be adding some chain mail and some other details, not done yet with this one :poly128:. Right now though I'm being a lazy fuck.

Made a softbox type scene yesterday for all the rendering, going to adjust it further after I'm done the hat, then render.

After this I'm going to model some concepts done by an amazing artist that was posted here on another thread. Found his website with 100's of images! I hope he doesn't mind me doing that... going to try and shoot him an email.
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
  • LateWhiteRabbit
    I almost immediately wanted to post a "That's not what a 7.62 FMJ round looks like!", but then I decided to research a little and discovered that your model is indeed accurate for the pistol version of the 7.62 round. I had previously only seen and used the rifle version of the ammunition.

It still looks wrong to me, even though I know it is right. It is just so . . . round. For a comparison to the 7.62 rounds I have always used, see this.

And yes, the hat is wrong. Why would you model something without reference? You are on the Internet. Google Images is RIGHT THERE, waiting to be used. Stop being "lazy". Doing it wrong and having to re-do is twice the work!
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I use my laptop for internet and my PC for modeling because it doesn't have a wireless card :\... just didn't want to go looking for my usb for a hat... none the less I found images when I typed about modeling more so I will try to make it look better.

And that bullet is as accurate as modeling from an image from wikipedia of the bullet (what? lol).

It's been lazy days... lately we got snowed in hard, cause of the storm.

What's so funny Rick_D? lol
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright this looks much better eh? I'm done with this hat, off to something cool made by this guy.

Need more contrast eh? Maybe some harder shadows too.. also should have made the green a bit darker.

2qnrvok.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on this futuristic pot, concept by Gray Skuko (posted his website in my earlier post)

260fon7.jpg

UFC was on tonight so I hardly got a chance to model anything, tomorrow I'm going to finish this, post some wires and start on another concept of a tram.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    For gods sakes stop rendering shit with a light material and a white background. It is not flattering or cool looking it just makes it impossible to see the work you've done.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee wrote: »
    For gods sakes stop rendering shit with a light material and a white background. It is not flattering or cool looking it just makes it impossible to see the work you've done.

Umad?

Ahaha I'm just joshing you, do you have any suggestions on materials? I'll try something original in a bit and throw down a new one.

I suck at this :(
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    A basic material, with a 3-point light set-up on a 50% grey background.
    You could probably even keep the set-up you have now and just change the background to mid-tone grey.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    XenoKratio: Well lighten up a bit, be glad that you get critic, it's alot worse if no-one did care.
    There is plenty of ways to setup your scene, and if you take the time to swim around the internett you will find plenty.

And since i am so kind and stupid i will link you to this on the polycount wiki: http://wiki.polycount.com/Model%20Presentation

So read up on that, and remember ALWAYS use refrence ;)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the quick response guys, I always forget to check out the Wiki...
    Is this something you guys prefer more? I am going to render the old models with this scene as well.

Here's V2, just going to finish this quickly and start on the next one, it's going to be more complex, like the red dot.

Is it still hard to see ceebee? :poly124:
    33uactu.jpg
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done this, and started on my next one.

2ni9y6h.jpg
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Much better man :)
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got this one "done", well I'm calling it done :). Will render old model with new setup tomorrow so you guys can see it better.

359bckn.jpg
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry if this comes a bit harsh here. But whats the pupose of all those models? I mostly see rushed highpoly models. With too few detail for justifiying a highpoly.

If you do this just for getting some practice then why don't you stick to one of those objects and do a proper highpoly with sufficient details etc.

Beside the bullet and the red dot sight I don't see much models that will give you much benefit. Your last piece for example: What is it supposed to be? I really can't tell. It might be some kind of scifi container with a fancy support-element on top of it. Whatever. My point is: Most models are only (not even) half finished. Some models are rather boring and have a simple shape (plant pot). You can make much more out of those assets if you spend the time to properly work on those highpolys and continue for some lowpoly and texturing work.

Form my personal point of view: Neat renderings of rather simple high poly work will not impress anyone. If its just some highpoly work your are after then you should challenge yourself with some more complex assets (red dot sight) and finish those. Then go ahead with the next asset or start baking and texturing.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a mechanical engineer who does this for fun, thats about it. Not doing it to impress anyone.

Making a bench next :poly124:
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e68tuq.jpg

Re-did the bullet scene too.

x60850.jpg