Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon Rider 2D

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
dragon_rider.jpg

Did this for a video I'm working on. I'm interested to hear what people think of it.

Replies

• dolemite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn that looks great. i love how the gun is a knight's lance
  • KyleJensen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    I'm liking the dragon. The girl's face could use a bit more work though.
  • XenoKratios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XenoKratios polycounter lvl 12
    Loving the dragon man! I like how you made the wings translucent. well done man!

Seems like that gun lance could do some serious damage to another dragon
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Its pretty rad dude- only crit I have is your relying too much on your line work, and its creating dark's that are too over bearing.

for example- the back of the dragon. granted it would be darker than the sky behind it, its still falling into shadow- the way you have the light source placed, that *should* make the dragons skin a much lighter value along that rim no?
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    It's pretty cool. Like konstruct said you could push some highlights.

Like the front knee could have a little light hitting it. And elbow and hand, that part just gets too dark, and front of the wing, make those pop a bit more.

I like the hard edged look too though, I just think the bottom/front of the dragon darkens and blends into the rock a bit too much.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet painting - I like the mood and the rendering is really nice.

Everything is very similar value-wise on the dragon, so the leg/arm area sort of becomes a jumbled mess of musculature - initially very hard to seperate which bits are in front of others. Sort of the same with the horns, but not as bad.

Also, the wing flesh on the far right reads straight into the normal skin, so it's a bit awkward to look at. maybe some reddish tinting to help it seperate.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Very nicely done looking forward to the video!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-Train polycounter lvl 15
    The dragon is far better in terms of detail and artistic attention than the rider. I would definitely work on the rider a lot more, to give it visual style/flair that the dragon already has. For example; the face of the rider reads as generic and frozen whereas the Dragon has quite a lot of character in it's pose, it's musculature, and facial expression.
  • papagersi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    papagersi polycounter lvl 16
    good job!! Is the video made by 3D !?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's great man, really. but the front shoulders need to be lower (on the picture) or closer to the front of the dragon, further away from the wings. right now the arm is going to seriously mess around with the extra pectoral they need for flying. you can even see it in your painting where it looks like it would be forcing the pec to tense itself.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the crits. I was really looking for ways to push this image a little more and I think I got some great suggestions. I will do an update when I get the time.

papagersi: I think it would be fun to do a 3D model, but I probably won't be doing one any time soon :(
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I dig this, man. The girl needs some more love, though -- the face, chest (collarbones, pectoral, connection of her left shoulder) and arm could all use some attention.

Also, why's the blade ontop of the lance? Looks unbalanced, bottom seems more natural.. Lance also seems way too short to be practical in any circumstances i can envision.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have yet to address the crits I have gotten (and I do plan to), but I did make video timelapse of this painting. Here it is:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUWkUAH9PIM&feature=player_embedded[/ame]
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I dont know how to thank you enough for that video

What res did you paint this at?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I painted the original at 3200x2000 px.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    So it is true that all paintings are painted at about 2x the resolution you see them in the final image?

That would explain the different results I get when I try to recreate paintings. Go figure.

By the way after watching your video heres what I made lol:http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7334/dragoncv.jpg Probably the best thing ive ever painted haha
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, nice work! I'm really happy that you found it useful. I think it is usually hard to get much out of a tutorial (since drawing is based so much on practice), but I tried to mention things I thought were useful to keep in mind.

Yeah, working at your final resolution results in some weird behavior from the brush and pixels that are really hard to work around. I think it's a good idea to do everything in at least twice you final intended resolution. Also, it good to have the super huge size in case you decide you want to print it out or something
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Oh, your one of the devs for Overgrowth? Fantastic! saw this video on the IndieDB page today ive been following your progress for a while, keep it up!
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey - actually like your values alot.

The "wing arm" of the dragon, however, I dont like that much. There's something about the way it is attached to the lower part of the body that makes it almost look grown in place and unable to move much. Hope that makes sense.
  • allifire15
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daaaang, I didn't even realize til someone said that the lance is a gun, that's awesome! The girl reminds me of Lilith from Borderlands =] so was the video you posted the same video you said you were working on? Cause if it isn't, I can't wait to see the real one!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    this is really cool, it reminds me of keith parkinson's (r.i.p.) paintings.
    his style is closer to urs, in way, as its more graphic and less volumetric, but i think paying attention to the volumes and how the light source hits them may help u produce a more economic and realistic painting at the end.

Only after making this PO i saw the video - u do work ur rendering flat-on and then apply an atmospheric background, while ur foreground remains graphic. It's conflicting. The fact u color greyscale doesn't help carry the light across the scene correctly either, further detaching ur foreground from the background. The holistic way would be, after establishing ur drawing, to work out ur atmosphere with colors and then fill the foreground with the correct ones, THEN adding values uniformly across the img. Don't rush into the cool stuff.... have patience.

dragon.gif

In this crappy PO i tried
    - removing those dark edges with general atmospheric cyan color
    - adding the rim light
    - shading the dragon, somewhat as a whole, which puts a lot of details in the shadow but.... listen to ur own advice here :) - render where the light goes.
    - forming a "soft spotlight" in the foreground that adds the local yellow/orange light. its not very well formed, esp volume-wise, but maybe helps paint a clearer picture. Highlights become more yellow (or less cyan/green, for the matter) and not white, as that just flattens that img.

Mullins is an excellent reference for what I tried to explain. Hope this helps somewhat... n sorry if it's a rip!
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    your gif is too fast at the end... flashes to a frame that looks like it has some useful stuff in it, but it's gone after .01 seconds
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the paintover Shotgun! Those are some great crits. I need to find some time to take another pass on the image because I think it could be improved a lot.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I'm glad u found this helpful. It is a gr8 img and little by my doings, it's got all it takes to become x2 better (at least) if u bring it together.

I also fixed the GIF's last frame... sorry bout that.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the style, i guess its you that make the comics for Overgrowth? :poly144:
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource wrote: »
    I really like the style, i guess its you that make the comics for Overgrowth? :poly144:

Yup-- working on an update right this moment actually! I also do all the in-game assets.