Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Chiyo Lai, an Environment Guy

Replies

• popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, i think moving it to WIX will solve that. Jalbum is getting me pretty good with their auto-resizing (downsizing), or right-sizing as they say in the PC world these days.
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Your work is fantastic. I think you do it a big disservice by spreading it out amongst a bunch of tiny thumbnails. I would much prefer a single-page layout that describes the scene, has wires and flats, and much larger photos. Is this professional work? personal?

At the very least organize the big environment pieces together so I can scroll to look at them on a seperate page. Not a fan of the simpleviewer.

Great environments, though. Very polished.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Really cool pieces. I'd like to see how you set up some of your textures for the tron stuff. Also I thought the full screen button in the top right was a nice touch to kind of reduce distractions you may get from browser bars and stuff while you're searchin the gallery.

Only real crit was I couldn't find a resume link anywhere.
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Chiyo,

I'm gonna do some advertising for you man!! :D

http://www.therydanworkshop.com/program/courseeau/
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz, Thanks and definitely all good points you made. As I said, the layout is temporary and yeah the biggest problem is that Jalbum is downsizing my images immensely. Oh and yeah it's pretty much all professional work I think.

rdmlegend, i'll see what I can dig up but I don't have all my source content anymore (studio was just shut down). Is there anything in particular you were interested in seeing? I'm working on a resume this weekend and hopefully I'll have a different website within a week and have everything up there. I wasn't really looking for a job with this post, I just thought I'd share it for fun and feedback on the art :)

Dave, you are a marketing machine hah
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Impressive work on Tron:Evolution,really feeling it, shame the company didnt make it :(
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    good lookign art :)

I could not find resume tho. Dunno if u added it or not, but if u did it is really tricky to find...

Aslo as a minor suggestion I would say that imo it is better to write what u DID on whats on the screenshot rather than what u DIDN`T. That can cause some confusion. Usually ppl mention what they did, so it is risky to do otherwise as sometimes when ppl give a quick glance on the text it may be understood as mentioning what u did on that image :P
    Well, at least me when i quickly browsed i was like "oh, so he did vents, weapons... ah no wait, he actually u did everything else except for vents, weapons or whatever".
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump.. website has been changed using viewbook with some added content. And if you like, you can even read some mundane details about me!
  • natetheartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    natetheartist polycounter lvl 9
    I spy a Naughty Dog test in there o_O...

Anyway, i agree with the other posters, I think you should provide an easier, more compact way to view thumbnails.

Personally. I'd condense your work. It seems like there are many shots but mostly they feel like they could have been summed up in 2 or 3 shots for each project/environment. That's just my personal preference though.
  • popngear
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    I like your work a lot. Just a small thing, haven't looked through it all just yet but the 3d gallery took a long time to load for me and went to a white page. I wasn't sure if it wasn't working or just loading. I do have a slow internet connection, but I was about to leave the page because I thought it was broken.

Also, it's a bit hard scrolling through the images, and I do want to see them all.
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure about the speed issue, but the site itself crapping out might be because I am currently updating the gallery content. I'm combining what images I can into single images to streamline the whole process. I've cut out about a dozen images so far without really losing any content. Thanks for takin a look.