polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
LVG polycounter lvl 12

Replies

• greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    Supa is right. It's an unfortunate burden you have to deal with when you bake AO to a texture map with 3DS Max. One of my former instructors suggested to me that I just use the smudge tool in PS and push the lines out toward the edges to cover up those nasty lines.
  • LVG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LVG polycounter lvl 12
    greevar wrote: »
    Supa is right. It's an unfortunate burden you have to deal with when you bake AO to a texture map with 3DS Max. One of my former instructors suggested to me that I just use the smudge tool in PS and push the lines out toward the edges to cover up those nasty lines.

It happens even when i don't use a AO bake, like using Textporter or just renedeirng the UVW, thanks for the reply
  • Noors
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noors greentooth
    Indeed, when the camera is far, the engine use a low res version of the texture (a mip map) to prevent from ugly flickering effect. If the black is very close from your edges, the black will bleed.

You have a Padding options in the Render to Texture window. Just put it to 10 pixels or something. Another trick is to put your background not black, but an average color of your hat, so the seems arre less visible at a far distance.

But your real problem here : your unwrap is terrible. Avoid overlapping when you bake something. You have artefacts here because of this.
    When you want the exact same unwrap for 2 same looking parts, you have to move one of the part with an offset of one, so it goes in the next square.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    from what I can tell you didn't relax your UV shells enough and you have some nasty zig zag UV edges along the 3d model.
    Another thing you might want to increase is the padding size in the texture baking process, it pads the pixels at the border of each UV shell further out so you don't get those nasty seams or muddy black pixels at the UV edges.