Home Technical Talk

3DS Max interface issues

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my 3DS Max on my computer since I re-installed it.

First of all, I'm using 3DS Max 2011 (Standalone) on an Alienware M17x-R2 (With two ATI Radeon Mobile 5870, Crossfire) under Windows Seven Ultimate x64.

My graphic drivers are up to date and their VBIOS is up to date too.

But when I'm doing a right click (Into 3DS Max), the menu appears, then disappear almost instantly.
It's still open, it is just not shown. And when I put the cursor where the menu is supposed to be, the buttons where the cursor pass one appears, then re-disappear.

It's really annoying and Google doesn't seems to find anything about that.

Does anyone of you know what's wrong ?

Thanks in advance, have a nice day.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I think this could be related to MS Intelipoint Drivers(if you have installed them) or if you have a tablet it could be Windows TabletPC shit fucking with it.

Please say if you have a tablet or the intellipoint drivers installed.

Edit: You are ot using camtasia while doing it i suppose

If you have a tablet and you are annoyed by that bug and the other stuff like this ring showing up and stuff try this http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1114083/TabletPCbeGentle.bat
  • doggett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! I've had that problem with past versions...just carried on working with it :poly142: (think I moved PC in the studio).

Do you have the latest hotfixes?

Don't know a solution.
    I think that my 3dsMax2011 plays up on my second monitor like that.
  • NothingHappens
    I don't know about MS Intelipoint Drivers. I assume MS means Microsoft. I didn't install anything like that.

I have a tablet but I didn't plug it. I've been searching for the drivers on the internet before and I saw that there was no drivers for Windows Seven x64. Only for the x86, and the description said that we should not install Vista's x64 drivers or Seven's x86. So I gave up.

I don't use Camtasia.

3DS Max acts weird sometimes too (Like when I press Z it's supposed to zoom on the poly that is selected. It doesn't do that. It goes INTO the poly or it goes waaay backward).

Can it be due to Wall Worm's model tool ?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don´t know Wall Worms model tool(Edit: i do, just forgot the name xD) , so can´t say much about that, but i don´t think thats the culprit here, but i will look into it ;)

Edit: Didn´t test it, but i think there would be many people going into ragemode if this was the culprit here.

Do you have any other Mouse Drivers installed except the ones shipped with W7?
  • NothingHappens
    Uh, yeah, when I bought my Alienware M17x-R2, I also bought an Alienware mice (Doing 3D with a trackpad is the best way to turn insane and commit suicide by smacking our face against the screen).

But I didn't install the drivers that were on the CD, I've let Windows download it by itself.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I actually have this same issue, also on ATI (4870.) It doesn't happen often, but it's annoying when it does.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Out of curiousity are you running UDK while doing this? I know that caused a bug in that if you have realtime viewport in UDK it would make the right click menu in max flicker when you brought it up.

I got rid of this by unchecking realtime preview.

All in all it's a directx issue and with max not knowing how to properly stream the data or share it with directx. Not sure the exact technical description but that is what I have noticed.
  • keres
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keres polycounter lvl 12
    Have you tried changing the graphics vendor in Max to whichever one you aren't using? Customize->Preferences->Viewports->Choose Driver->Revert from Direct3D->OpenGL
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keres could be right, actually i had the same issue once if i´m not mistaken, i switched to software or opengl(which was horrible) but after i reverted back to dx9 it was ok all of a sudden.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I've had this too. Not sure what triggers it, but it seems to disappear closing & reopening max. This happens very rarely, so it hasn't been an issue for me.
  • shawnolson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shawnolson polycounter lvl 13
    I don't use Camtasia...

Can it be due to Wall Worm's model tool ?

When I started reading this thread I was going to ask about Camtasia because that happened to me in the past when making Camtasia recordings. But someone else asked that :)

I can't imagine it could be anything in Wall Worm Model Tools. But if there is anything in it causing that, I would certainly want to know. But my guess is a driver issue or hardware.

There have been a lot of threads with this issue over in the Autodesk forums for a long time. Here are a few:
    I know I've seen it a lot in the Autodesk forums.

I also wanted to suggest one other thing that I haven't seen in the responses online a lot yet. Aside from when I had problems due to Camtasia, I also had similar problems when I was running dual geforce 8800... they started overheating after a couple years. It turns out that they were collecting dust pretty bad... and I started to have these kinds of problems from that too; when I dusted them out, that run of my problems disappeared...

Just another thing to consider.

And maybe try turning off the View Cube ( Ctr+Alt+V)
  • NothingHappens
    Racer445 > For me it happens every time.

Jesse Moody > I still haven't re-installed the UDK, we are in the middle of January, which means the January beta will be released "soon" and I don't like to install a software and have to download a new version less than a month after.
    (If only the UDK could have a simple system of updates instead of having to reinstall it every time... Or I am so stupid that I missed this feature)

keres > Thanks, for now your idea works perfectly.

SpeCter > Yup, going back to Dx9 seems to keep the problem fixed.

piippo > I thought it would disappear when re-starting 3DS Max, but it didn't.

shawnolson > Well, at least it doesn't seem to be because of your work. =)
    Thanks for the links.
    I don't think my computer is really dusty since I bought it in November and used it for a very few times (It kept dying, I was extremely frustrated of spending 99% of my time on this computer to format it than using it), but I keep your advice in mind for the future.

Thank you all for spending some time to help me with this issue.
    Have a nice day and good continuation.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    This happens for me quite a bit. I've found that for me its caused by running Firefox un minimised while running max. so basically if max is overlapping firefox i get the redraw errors. Simply minimising firefox removes the problem for me. Its probably a good idea to minimise everything except max.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Yep I get this a lot too, usually happens when I have something else in the background like a fullscreened video playing. Minimizing everything except 3d max always fixed it.
    Win key+home by default, or customize it to any key combination if you use something like AutoHotkey. I've re-binded it to win+x.
    Hit the hotkey again to restore things the way they were before.
  • dhedheahmed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    max 2010 also have the same problem but can be fixed with the SP1 patch from autodesk site. I don't know wether 2011 have a patch.
  • NothingHappens
    dhedheahmed > 3DS Max 2011 does have a SP1 patch, but that does not fix the glitch.

Maybe an hotfix does that ? Are the hotfixes included into the SP1 or we have to download them separately ?
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    This problem has to do with the way Windows handles the different layers. If you have something in the background layer that constantly refreshes, and Max on top of it, it'll break stuff like that.

Someone mentioned UDK, but any video-game will do it. iTunes will also do it. Try minimizing everything so that you only see the desktop, then maximize only 3dsmax and see if that helps. If so, then it's one of your background programs, I'll bet that it's iTunes, as that one refreshes every tick.
  • NothingHappens
    Bigjohn > So I guess a Flash-based website is constantly refreshing, especially if it's animated ?

I don't use iTunes but I have almost always Google Chrome open on Deezer.
    When I keep Google Chrome open in the background (on Deezer), it sometimes causes the glitch to happen, and sometimes not, I'm lost about it, but what ever, at least we know how to "fix" it.