Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

gausswerks design bureau - firearms division

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
Some have noticed that I've been a little too very much into firearms lately (past two years and counting), but I am only just now feeling confident in turning my study back into active design work.
Below is the first of several designs I have been working on. Unusual, far-fetched maybe, but I am making sure that the work I am doing is at least reasonably grounded in reality. The "combigun" (the mating of a C96 and an Enfield revolver) is arranged such that both firearms should be able to function. Not that anyone should ever build this, but I think designs create a certain special something when they could potentially exist.

I've got a bunch of sketchbook pages to scan as well, watch this space.

Sheffield Special Mk. 1
combigun7.jpg
combigunlayout6.jpg

for those who would wish to model this gun, you will need the following ingredients:
- (1) C96 w/stock
- (1) Enfield No. 2 Revolver
- swing-out cylinder conversion for the revolver component
- 13 round box magazine conversion for C96 like so: http://yhst-5672966975550.stores.yahoo.net/c96brde20rd9.html

as more designs get put up, anyone is free to model them, with the understanding that if you do, I will take it as full license to come and yammer about boring minutae in your thread :)

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    gauss wrote: »
    Some have noticed that I've been a little too very much into firearms lately

nonsense.. you can never have too much of firearms. :D

very awesome. i am really looking forward to what more you have to show. ive just started portfolio classes at school and im gearing it toward weapons, so this could give me some great inspiration.

::subscribed::
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the attention to detail in this..

Both firearms in that combo were instantly recognizable..
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    I really like it, it took me a while to realize it was two guns at all though, mostly i just glanced at it and it looked like a regular pistol, until i saw trigger for the upper weapon, my question for you in practicality is how would you hold a handle to squeeze the trigger for the second weapon? There is no place to for your hand to hold really, perhaps if you could place a second trigger under the first somehow so that your index finger could operate one trigger and your middle finger could operate the other? Also resetting the hammer on the upper weapon for each shot would be a pain, i don't know if there are semi auto revolvers or not but it would help a lot for firing purposes. I know you don't have to reset the hammer to fire but it makes shooting a lot more accurate.

Don't let all this criticism fool you, i still very much like your design and can't wait to see more!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I miss the days when gauss concepted strange little noblemen who rode in giant man shaped contraptions exposing only their asses.

This new concept is fantastic however. Lovely colors and great rendering of the materials.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Maaaaaaaaaaaan I wish this bad boy (the illustration) had harder/tighter lines along its outside. The blur bothers me.

Thats right - thats all I have for you, fine sir.
  • Sparkwire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparkwire polycounter lvl 9
    got any perspective shots?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    Did someone say Han Solo reference??

could be.. or basically just a mauser.

http://digitalsushi.com/midashi/website.mirrors/guns/world.guns.ru/handguns/hg90-e.htm
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Oniram: hope not to disappoint :)
    bbob: thanks!

DDuckworth: I mocked up other scenarios, nothing was quite so elegant as the current one. Generally, firing a C96 is a two handed grip anyway, with the support hand on the magazine well, so I figured that's where I'd put the second trigger. Not optimal, but better than having to pull a trigger with a non-trigger finger (accurate shooting is hard enough with the right finger). It's also better than my first approach, which was to elongate the c96 frame/trigger guard to accomodate two triggers. Looked awful, completely ruined the aesthetic.
    And yeah don't worry--the Enfield Mk. II is a double action revolver, so there would be no need to reset the hammer between shots. This doesn't address the hideously high sighting plane but we can't have everything with our combiguns, can we? :) Good comments.

aesir: I still got it in me, I don't suppose you saw when I posted this one?
    http://gausswerks.com/folio/jackmonahan-camo1.jpg hope you're doing well man

adam: yeah if criticisms are to that exactedness, I will take that. Cheers :)

Sparkwire: Sorry no, not on this one. It's a cheat for any modeler trying to take this on, but I assumed that such a modelered would be ready for the nitty gritty work of modeling close to two whole pistols (of which there is considerable reference) and then merging them as indicated. It's a twofer!

Saso: As a SW fan you would do well to understand that virtually all of the classic SW guns are not original in any way; they borrow all their iconic looks from greebling over chopped up WWII surplus weaponry. For instance you know your stormtrooper blaster, right? Look up "Sterling submachine gun" and you will see that it is only slightly different.

Also I would appreciate it if you removed the Han Solo images from the thread. When I'm checking out other peoples' threads on polycount I usually scroll straight to the pictures, and I hate it when I stop to look at pictures that are not actually thread content :) Thanks.

No updates for now but still fiddling with some unusual designs yet...
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    Gauss, there's a big flaw with this design, and it would even be a problem in the animation of it, the C96 method of reloading a bullet after one shot its to Slide the whole barrel backwards, hence why it has a rail, with the revolver on top, and the trigger of it mounted on the barrel of the C96 this action cant be done.

Here's a video so you can see the action when shoot.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqzi3c8gRBU[/ame]

To make this weird combination work you should rethink the way bot guns works, I would suggest to put the revolver down, instead of on top.

It looks cool the way it is, but you will have lots of problems to make it work.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    This is what I get for not quite doing the homework :) I'm familiar with the Luger and how the barrel recoils with the action, I should have known that the upper slide assembly recoiled along its rail on the c96 as well. Noob stuff, thanks for point it out.

But if you spend any time trying to put the revolver cylinder anywhere else it starts to get very, very ugly--sort of early Steyr pistol type looks, AKA the other pistols that are a hundred years old that didn't show up in Star Wars because they are ugly, not cool. It's already a ridiculous gun but you're right, I'm disappointed to not have it be that basic level of plausible.

But all is not lost. For a few reasons I was playing with more elaborate work to the original frame; now it's clearly going to be necessary. The original (and more aesthetically interesting) configuration is still possible, I just need to make it clear about what is mated to what.

The revolver assembly can be locked to the frame while still giving the c96 barrel assembly free travel--think something in the manner of a pistol scope mount that is mounted to the frame, like so: http://i55.tinypic.com/s4c4cx.jpg

If anything, it gives the possibility of additional visual interest, since in animation the c96 barrel assembly is going to recoil as it ought, but the revolver portion will remain stationary above it. I think I will leave the forward trigger where it is, but it will have a ring "sleeve" for the c96 barrel... and of course the Enfield barrel will no longer have the connecting metal. The current configuration can work, I mean, as far as I think a fictional gun that is a bad idea needs to be able to work, the clearances just need to well established.

But thank you so much for catching that. Putting two guns onto a frame in any reasonably good looking configuration (besides double barrel shotguns) is quite challenging. Keep it coming, the Sheffield Special will take all comers! :)
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    You welcome, I'm glad my comments were useful for you, I was just thinking the same thing, with some variations it could work, for the trigger part, maybe a elaborated side mounted mechanism to make a connection between the trigger and the revolver could work. but you must get it looking good, because as you said, a fully functional hybrid not always ends beautiful.

I really like the Concept though, so I hope to see this fully made and working soon :)
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    looks cool but wuts the point of having 2 triggers and a revovler.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looking sick, man.

I hope those are chambered for two different calibers, to add maximum silly tacky-tacticool.
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Well gauss if all that's left to address is the high sight profile you could always put either sights on the right side for the lower gun or just a laser in the middle of the guns for both! hahaha sounds a little over the top to me though. :)
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Well I never did anything more on that piece but here are some new gun designs like I always intended to do. Strictly half an hour a piece, just trying to get comfortable drawing them and then building up to actually making them both "cool" and reasonably realistic

Also viewable on DA http://gausswerks.deviantart.com/

pistolcalibersmg.jpg
    bullpuptogglelock.jpg
    stampedmetalsmg.jpg
    dakkasmg-2.jpg