Home Technical Talk

Ati HD Radeon top right corner lag

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Froyok greentooth
Hey !
I'm wondering if some other people have this "bug". I get this problem on 2 two computers. My laptop and my desktop computer.
My problem is :
When my mouse is to the top-right corner of my screen and when I move it to the left, my mouse stay in place a few milliseconds and she's teleported where she should be...

I have updated my drivers recently, it's the first time I get this problem.
On a Mobility HD 4650 and a HD 4850X2.
I think it's a driver problem (same problem on two different computer ! :poly141: ).
It's vary annoying... because this lag is short on my desktop, but on my laptop he is very long and it's very, very infuriating ! Because every time you close/reduce a program you get this lag...

I'm going to be crazyyyy !
023b63da19001db2c7b0bc5168738.gif

Replies

• Builder_Anthony
    Nope....assuming your talking about max
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Not related with any application. I have this problem with the windows desktop too !
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    why havent you downgraded your drivers?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I can't, because I get some weird lighting artefact in the UDK (december) without the lastet drivers... :\
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Surely there is a slightly older driver with a compromise between better UDK lighting and a fix for your mouse problem. I haven't really had much trouble with my 10.10d Catalyst.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I can't even launch catalyst control center since I upgraded the video driver to play call of duty black ops. What an annoyance, couldn't tell you what driver I'm running I have a radeon 5850 win7 64, nothing but issues and low framerates in games compared to my old geforce 285gtx.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually that happens for me too, never noticed it before. Running HD4870 with latest drivers.
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Malcolm, I'm running 2 5850s in crossfire and have not had any problems aside from overheating when I forget to turn up the fans =o I ran 1 5850 for a while and had no problems either, and I'm also running win 7 64bit.

Your drivers may be faulty, try uninstalling your driver and using the latest 'driver sweeper' to get rid of reminants that sometimes get left behind and screw up your driver updates.

I also suggest trying to clean out any remnants of drivers related to your 285gtx, but make sure you research that first as sometimes there are things lying around with 'Nvidia' on them when really they don't effect your VGA driver, and may be important for the function of a physics engine or something.

Then install a stable driver like mine (10.10d) or google a newer one and see what you can find, and install that.

If you still have problems it can be 1 of 2 issues, either you need to flash your BIOS, or you need to claim a warranty for that video card because it may be faulty.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    In my case, my laptop and my desktop computers are under win7 64bit...
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgot to mention, the lag in the upper right corner is pretty short for me. But interesting find still :)
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon, last time I ran that driver sweeper garbage my brand new week old factory install of win7 64 blue screened because that piece of shit program destroyed my computer. Also this is a brand new computer the geforce card has never been installed on this one. Card worked fine with some weird beta drivers but when I needed to get the latest certified drivers from ati CCC no longer loads, Do a google search for CCC won't load and you'll see one million other people have the same problem all the way from win xp up to win7 64, f you ati and your shitty buggy drivers.
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Froyok, Piippo, is that problem consistent with most late catalyst versions?

Malcolm, That's too bad about the driver sweeper and the blue screen, I never encountered that problem. When you ran it were you careful to select only items with 'ATI', 'CCC' and 'Catalyst' next to them?

Also, as a general rule, the 'latest drivers' are usually not worth bothering with, your best bet is to get the latest one that has the least bugs and as far as I know that's 10.10d Try that version, seriously. You find stuff like this by going onto google and typing 'best catalyst driver' and sorting by date in descending order.

I'm not a fan boy or anything, I will get Nvidia if it means saving a couple of bucks/getting a better deal so I'm not going to say that ATI is law.
    However, I consider myself to be out of luck SO often I think I'm jinxed, but the biggest problem I had with the ATI card was when I got crossfire the second card was under-performing, and it actually turned out that ATI weren't to blame for that problem, amazingly it was fixed by flashing my BIOS to the latest stable version.

Most importantly, keep cool, It may seem like I'm just giving you a list of generic instructions, but this stuff works. If you contact AMD with your problem, your likely to be asked to do the same thing, and they will probably insist upon it if they are to allow you to claim warranty.

Aside from that, 2 questions, do you ever have any trouble with administration rights and can you remember the last install you made prior to CCC not opening? aside from this, I guess your best bet is to look through those google results to see what people have come up with.. That's how i solve most of my problem :]
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon, I was following a tutorial online to try and get rid of the ati drivers and got the blue screen upon rebooting so now I'm scared of that program. No issues with admin rights I've turned all that stuff off in the UAC. This current driver I'm using has caused the issue, it made me upgrade to play call of duty, otherwise I would not have upgraded I've had this same issue on another computer with a radeon in it so I never update ati drivers unless I'm forced to. I've read 4 full pages of those google posts, lots of fixes and suggestions but nothing consistent, tried them all and no luck, spent 2 days reading those posts nothing fixed my issue. Seems there are a million different ways for the ati ccc to not work on everyone's computers. Would be nice if ati addressed that issue since it affects so many users back from 2005 to present day.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I'm currently under the catalyst 10.12, I will try an older version. I hope the udk will run fine.
  • piippo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    10.12 here with the new Catalyst Control Center. No problems anywhere, except that weird lag in the top right.
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Malcolm, I've had a look around and it turns out 'driver sweeper' is the best man for the job. A lot of other programs cost money, and most people will recommend this one.

I suggest if you're really worried, ask for support at AMD, they will ask you to use driver sweeper, and then you can rest assured that if they give you instructions and something really bad happens (which is unlikely if you only remove ATI, CCC and catalyst things) then they should take the fall and undo the damage. You won't have any chance of loosing valuable files, that's for sure.

A lot of people will tell you that one of the top causes of malfunction in ATI drivers/driver software is caused by leftover registry entries and bits and pieces, and it's happened to me a couple of times.

Also, do you think you'd have the same problem with COD: black ops? I'm playing it with no problems with my current catalyst.

Froyok, I haven't really tested Unreal 3 on this machine, but Bioshock 2 runs fine so UDK is likely to as well.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The problem with the udk is that he is updated every months. It's not a performance issue, but more artefacts issues. The last version with the nvidia GTX card was a black flickering in the november and december b