Home General Discussion

Holy Grit!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
Oh the Grit-t-t-t!! I'm still pickin the sand out my teeth.

Am I the only one who thought True Grit was as awesome as I thought it was? I looked through the last 8 pages of general discussion after I saw the movie, and didn't see a thread (unless I missed it :poly142:)

But anywho, in typically Coen bros fashion, the characters are awesome, and I have 87 new catch phrases to annoy the hell out of my girlfriend with :thumbup:

Replies

• glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Aye aye, that movie was really awesome. I have never watched the original one, but i did see the trailer. Gotta say that the girl in the new one is way more awesome than in the old one. Really good acting and i like the dialogue a lot!

Really good movie :)
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea, I haven't seen the John Wayne one either, but I saw this one with my father, who has seen it, and he said he liked this more recent one better. But he is just one dude lol. I'd be interested in hearing other peoples takes on that.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Yea... there are lots of awesome westerns from back in the day. Like Duck, You Sucker, or the Proffesionals. This new True Grit kinda reminded me of them. I was really happy, and i had no idea what the movie was gonna be about.

Really awesome.

Yea... id o wonder what other people have to say about which one they prefer.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I really enjoyed it, I'm a big fan of spaghetti westerns and the coehn bros, so i knew i'd like it just didn't know how much. I'd certainly label it more a coehn movie than a western in spirit (what else would you expect really?), though as a time piece the movie's f*cking awesome.

From an artists perspective they do some amazing storytelling with their lighting and anyone wanting to do cinematic scenes in games can take a ton away from their movies.

I'd discuss further but i have no idea how to use spoiler tags and i don't want to ruin it. If you haven't seen it yet go see it!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Great movie and add another vote to the list of people who think the new one is MUCH better than the old.

Acting is just better all around.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Loved it. 2nd favorite movie this year behind social network. The girl needs to go up for best actress.
  • BigErn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BigErn polycounter lvl 11
    Having seen every other Coen`s films I`m glad this has been getting good reviews, will go see it next week in the UK :) Woot!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I love westerns. But I haven't seen it yet. Recently moved to a new city and haven't found a trusted babysitter yet. But I've heard great things about it.
  • evilblah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    I loved it! Thought it was fantastic and Jeff Bridges really stole the show. What's even better is he showed some more of that powerful acting, at some points it's hard to think that it is Jeff Bridges.

Also, some beautiful shots in there. A lot of very powerful scenes. I saw the original and I think (my personal opinion) the new one is better.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The writing and dialog in the film are fantastic. The acting is quite good too, but probably wasn't nearly as much of a challenge when the actors are being handed such solid dialog to deliver. Jeff Bridges turned in a convincing and appealing performance as Rooster Cogburn. I don't think the young girl deserves an Oscar for her performance, but I DO think she had one of the best performances by a child actor in the past decade.

I had never seen the original, but I saw this new film with a friend who has. He swears that Jeff Bridges was actually a better Rooster Cogburn than John Wayne.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I had a huge hankering for RDR after seeing that movie.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YOU ARE NOT LABEOUF!
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahahaa, that was my favorite line
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Great movie. Loved the acting by everyone. Kinda of a quick and depressing end to the movie though ha.

The song at the start of the credits was ridiculous. I think it startled most of the people in the theater
  • Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, really good movie, I definitely enjoyed a lot! The girl was really amazing, imo. Her great acting really stood out the most. Everyone else did a really great job too, though.

Hasn't been my fav movie of this awesome season, but that's just been personal opinion. It was good times, though!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    A friend has this nifty review of the original:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFJQM7lZVhA[/ame]

Can't wait to see the Cohen Brothers revamped version!
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Jeff Bridges never fails to amaze me. I loved his whole one man conversation about his ex wife. “My wife did not crave the society of my river friends"

So many great quotes.

"Rooster Cogburn: We'll sleep here and follow in the morning.
    Mattie Ross: But we promised to bury the poor soul inside!
    Rooster Cogburn: Ground's too hard. Them men wanted a decent burial, they should have got themselves killed in summer."
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats pretty sweet Ebagg,

it seems like the older version was a little more classically light-hearted in tone (although this recent one was absolutely hilarious at times I thought) but I'll still probably check it out since it did net Wayne an oscar.

thanks for the link
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Jeff Bridges was awesome, although the contrast between his old jolly drunk side and his stone cold badass side was a bit jarring.

I look forward to seeing Hailee Steinfeld in more movies, she did a damn awesome job as Mattie's well educated but not so street smart role.

Matt Damon and Josh Brolin were very understated characters but overall a damn good Western story! The Coen Brothers come out with another winner!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    I just had a chance to watch the original, now I'm super pumped for this :)