Home Technical Talk

Welding

Im getting frustrated with not being able to weld.I cant target weld to a differnt object.I dont know if its because its all in one group or what the deal is.

I cant weld edges from two differnt objects.

I dont understand weld threshold.

Can someone point me to a good turtorial but please let me know if objects in a group can be welded together.The objects are all in one group.

The only thing i can think of is that i had to add a modifier called edit poly to the group.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For starters, what software are you using? Some applications require the target verts to be on the same object in order to weld them together (makes sense to me, welding would turn them into 1 vert, and I can't see how 1 vert could belong to two different objects).

Took too long to post : (
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I'm assuming Max. "Grouping" simply puts objects together in a "container" or sorts so you can manipulate the group as a whole, but they are still two separate meshes and you can't merge the two together or weld verts together.

You need to Attach the two objects together to make a single mesh. Only then can you weld verts between the two objects. And by attach, I mean using the "Attach" function.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Ya its max.
    Ok that makes sense.
    Just to be clear though after i ungroup them..... how should i select the object that im going to weld to another object?

element ....polygon ...vertex.... etc.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    After you ungroup, select one object by clicking it, select "Attach", then click on the object(s) to want to attach with it. Now it'll be all stuck together.

From here you can weld vertices. Just to be clear, Attaching and Welding are two different things
  • Builder_Anthony
    Steps ive taken
    1.Saved
    2Ungrouped everything
    3.Selected element,attach,and clicked on all other objects
    4.Went in select by name to erase objects that had no vertices for cleanup.

//This is where i noticed that only my newly created attached peice had vertices so i erased the other objects leaveing only the newly created object with all the attachments.

//The weird part is i can target weld all of the verts which dont have a polygon face.These verts are at the center of the model and are going to be the center where everything gets mirrored over.Those weld fine.But im still unable to weld any others.

5.Went in and detached everything figuring maybe i wasnt soupposed to delete the other objects.......maybe they are important even though my object is attached to everything else.
    Still in my mess here.

EDIT:
    When i select a object how should i select it before attaching it to something.Vertice poly element....In there roolouts they all have attach.

Does it matter which one?
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    Doesn't matter, works the same
  • Builder_Anthony
    Edited above post.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Might be easier if you posted an image or two.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steps ive taken
    1.Saved
    2Ungrouped everything
    3.Selected element,attach,and clicked on all other objects
    4.Went in select by name to erase objects that had no vertices for cleanup.
    When you attach, the old object is destroyed and only the object you are currently using is retained. So if you have only two objects in a scene you press H and you see two names in the list, if you attach one you'll only have 1 object left.

However you probably created a bunch of ghost objects without verts because you deleted the meshes but not the objects. So say for example, in vertex mode you selected all the verts and hit delete. This gets rid of all the verts in that object but not the object itself.

If you want to delete the object:
    Back out of "Sub-Object mode" (vert edge poly) by clicking the Edit Poly label, the type will change from yellow to gray (there are other ways but we won't get into those now).
    Now it is in Object mode, now you can hit delete and the entire object will be removed instead of just the sub-object verts.
    //The weird part is i can target weld all of the verts which dont have a polygon face.These verts are at the center of the model and are going to be the center where everything gets mirrored over.Those weld fine.But im still unable to weld any others.
    You can only weld verts that are on a open edge or connected by an edge.

EDIT:
    When i select a object how should i select it before attaching it to something.Vertice poly element....In there rollouts they all have attach.

Does it matter which one?
    It doesn't matter what sub-object level you attach another object at. "Attach" is put in each of the sub-object levels for convenience. It would be a pain in the ass if it was only in one mode and you had to switch modes anytime you wanted to attach something.

Also about groups, Ott is totally right, its more like a folder or a box that you can put things into for organization. If you had a zipper on a jacket and all the teeth where separate objects and you didn't want 400 separate objects cluttering up the list, you put them in a group, now only one thing shows up in the list until you open the group or ungroup. All of the objects are still unique. But WHY would you have 400 separate teeth in a zipper!? Simple they're all instanced so working on one works on all the others.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Quote from Mark
    You can only weld verts that are on a open edge or connected by an edge.

Reply from Anthony
    Ok so if i have 4 boxs which arent connected in any way, and none are open edged or connected by a edge.How do you bypass that?

One way i figured out but it cant be right.........I deleted a poloygon on one of the boxes and found i could then weld it to a differnt box because it was opened faced.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    AFAIK, it's not something you want to bypass otherwise you'd end up with double-boundary edges. Either delete a face to make an open edge like you did, or live with multiple verts in the same place w/o being welded.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Ok im currently erasing a poly face then target welding.

Ive come up with new questions though.

Lets say we have 4 boxes and none of them are opened faced or connected by a edge.Now if i pull a 2 verticies into the next box it would appear to be connected.But in fact they wouldnt be welded just 2 vertices draged into the other one.

I souppose this could create lighting issues but lets hear why its wrong.
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9

Lets say we have 4 boxes and none of them are opened faced or connected by a edge.Now if i pull a 2 verticies into the next box it would appear to be connected.But in fact they wouldnt be welded just 2 vertices draged into the other one.

You could use this method if you are just making 3D art to be rendered. As for game art it is inefficient because you have extra polygons that will never be seen adding to your poly count for no reason.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Like Timwiese said you probably don't want to do that for games and it might not even render correctly. If you really wanted to get that method to work you should snap one set of verts to another so they share the exact same space.
  • Builder_Anthony
    These were lines that were extruded.

The reverse side has no fce polygon.

I think ive covered this already but posting image just to bee 100 percent sure i cant weld them.

Left top object needs to be welded to the right object.

1-7-11.jpg
  • timwiese
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    timwiese polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not quite sure what the problem is. You can weld the reverse sides verts together if there is no faces on them, but the verts nearest to the camera have faces between them that would prevent it from being welded.
  • Simon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simon polycounter lvl 8
    Hello, you will encounter problems if you try to weld the verts of adjacent faces, you cannot have a 2 sided face in 3ds max where the verts of both sides are welded. If you want to join those shapes, assuming you want a solid object, you need to delete both faces on either side (the faces that will fuse together) or else it will refuse to weld.

Just so we are clear, there are four faces to delete between that 'left top' shape and the 'right object' before you can weld those shapes.

EDIT: Sorry if I'm off the mark btw, just skimmed through the posts because I have my own problems to fix.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you looking to preserve the trench between the shapes but bridge the bottom of the gap to close it off? If so you can go into edge mode select each edge on both sides and click bridge this will draw polys between those two edges.

You can also turn on bridge, click one open edge, then click another to draw a poly between the two.

You can also go into poly mode and click create and then click on each vert you want to draw a polygon between when you get to the last vert double click it to finalize the process.

If you're trying to close the gap between the pieces, you will need to remove the polys on the inside of the gap so that the edges will be open and you can weld or bridge them.

If it seems like I'm throwing out a lot of suggestions and fishing around its because I'm not exactly sure what it is you're trying to do. I know you want them connected but I'm not exactly sure what the end shape is you have in mind.
  • Builder_Anthony
    Im glad you mentioned bridge for the edges beecaue i will eventually keep some of those gaps.I been welding things and have realized the porpose of having a open edge.So everythings ok and its all sunk in.Thanks for all the help everyone.

End of thread.