Home General Discussion

Monthly Concept suggestion thread for the P&P section?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
After seeing a bunch of threads regarding competitions, I noticed someone always seems to chime in with "why do you need a contest to create great work?". Which is true, one shouldn't need a competition to create something great. However I know people actually enjoy the spec restrictions, as well as being given a theme to work with. Plus some folks just happen to be in ruts when it comes to producing the creative juices of conceptualizing.

Anyway, I was reading the one open challenge thread about making a Warhammer hero character, I was interested in it (despite not really knowing much about the universe), then the challenge went downhill, and I guess ended and now it's become one of those closed "civil war" deals. Regardless, I've decided to still do it, just now I'm not doing it for anything other than my own enjoyment.

So I got to thinking, what if there was a stickied thread in the P&P board that was just a concept suggestion that would be updated monthly for artists looking to make something but can't decide on or think of an idea? It would have a set theme and specs, but nothing would be set in stone. Some artists might follow it exactly, while others extrapolate it to their taste, it would just be a jumping off point for them. Same with deadlines, they could be stipulated for people who like being given them for drive purposes, but nothing's stopping them from taking their time. The subjects and specs would vary month to month, so it could be "next gen" character design or low poly environment props, and concepts could vary from generic to specific, like make an "all purpose space mercenary" to a "historically accurate Sumerian God/Demon altar".

All in all, I feel it's something to think about for Polycount. Not to mention it would be pleasant and fun. While I can see people grieving over the prospect of seeing multiple threads of work based on the same idea, I don't really think it's a stretch from the norm around here after seeing loads of TF2 inspired work, military weapons and oddly enough distressed gas station pumps. But Whether the work is to be designated to a single thread, or allowed to just be anywhere on the forum is up to the moderators I guess.

In conclusion. I apologize if this has been suggested/debated in some other thread, I don't read them all. I just figured I'd put it out here on its own.