Home General Discussion

Rock Band 3 and rock band network

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
first a bit on the game in general

i did a search and saw some threads speculating about it, but none really discussing the game after release, wondering what opinions were

for xmas i utilized gift moneys to pick up the game pack with keyboard, and a mad catz pro guitar and wireless mic,, at this point i have no drums and no old school guit controllers,

i was a bit skeptical about the madcatz guitar but am pleasantly suprised with how much this thing feels like a real guit, chords feel natural to play and the strings while not functional are easy to strum and single pick,

i dont consider the pro guit modes to be a "game" mode since on anything above easy or med you really need to practice the songs a few times to learn it, not as easy to just wing it by following the screen as you go. but i do see the pro mode as an excellant teacher, several of the songs i've learned on pro and was able to instantly pick up my real guit and play it.

theres some advanced techs you cant do with the pro guit (or the squire that will be released later) such as bends, and harmonics, pick slides an whateva, but the basics of learning guitar is there and i'm really impressed.

i've been going thru the lessons which work a lot on chord changes and practicing scales, and plan on spending a lot of time doing that untill i can do them with ease..

i can play thru most 0 bubblsongs on expert with high scores, and some one bubble songs with med to med high scores.

now a bit on rock band network

i have no idea how it slipped by me that you can make and submit your own tracks to be sold on xbox live for this, but its something i plan on doing real soon.

you have to have a 99 buck a year xna membership, and have a song that you own rights to split up into the correct channels, vocals, guit, bass, and 3 drum tracks (and now keyboard

then using reaper (the one they support) or another music creation package set out midi notes for where the gems are and a midi track that follows the vocals, you have to make a track for each dificulty level.

after this you submit it for testing, where ppl download and play it and pick out bugs or offensive material,

after you feel its ready for prime time you have to submit it for peer review, and hope that 6 ppl in the comunity decide to give it a thorougho look thru each section and then pass it, after its passed (seems some songs take months to get this stage passed)

my main issues with this is they do not support now or do they plan to support pro guitar and bass, and they currently do not have rb3 where you can test the songs you have to use rb2,

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    WALLLLL OFFFF TEXXXTTT
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers for the review. I'm really interested in it myself (with the Squier) as I was hoping it would be a fun way to learn the guitar (and something I'd actually do). Just been waiting to hear more about if it's actually a viable way to do so.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    They really dropped the ball on the Canadian release for me. I was amped up for the keyboard, but it took a month for those too come and lost interest. Plus the lack of the cymbal expansion, and you get the idea.

Tried the keyboard finally at a friend, and didn't leaving me feel as a must buy.

at this point I'm feeling iffy if I should dive into pro guitar.