Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK WIP - Space Station Dock - Need advice!

Envart
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Envart polycounter lvl 6
Hello!

Long-time lurker, first time poster here. I'm hoping to use this thread for advice and critique on this scene.

This production has a deadline 12th January, so over the next 9 days I'll be updating this thread with developments.

env1_lrg.jpg

This image was created within 3dsmax, with some minor post work done in Ps. I'm in the process of translating this scene into UDK. As a quick note: I didn't create the background plate, I found it on the internet.

Brief goals:
All assets within UDK, detailed to an acceptable level.
Physical planet w/ atmosphere & clouds
Star field in background with nebula and twinkling stars
post processing to include DOF, vignette, colour correction

Here's a couple pics of the scene:
2rhwabk.jpg

r1fl6t.jpg

I'm still importing the models for the scene, I can handle that okay. What I really need is advice on how to light the level. As you can see from the 3dsmax image, the star behind the planet is the dominant light source, with smaller lights within the space dock illuminating the details. How best should I represent the sun?

Should I create a sphere mesh and use a texture that lights the level?
Should I be using point, spotlight, or dominant directional?

Also I'm thinking about how best to represent the planet. My current mode of thinking is using tiled mix maps and vertex painting to paint in the oceans, perhaps I can vary the land by adding another mix map to paint in mountains or forest?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Updates for 3rd Jan:
    All assets within UDK, minus one or two perhaps.

?di=13129411774012

?di=1112941177407

?di=2129411774011

?di=9129411774011

If anyone could help me with the questions in my first post, regarding lighting settings, or if anyone has any general crits or comments, please feel free get involved. :D
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    I am not an expert, but i would use a dominant directional light for the sun. You can probably create a lens flare to create a good sun effect, but ive never done one so im not sure how to go about it.

otherwise you could play around with a sphere mesh that has emmisive, and turn the bloom up.

EDIT:
    and to critique your first image: you draw the viewers eye away from your work. Its all the same color and texture (or close) so the eye is lead outside to something someone else did.
    I think you should try emphasizing what is inside, what you spent the most time on.
  • Builder_Anthony
    I think your textures are to dark>When i look at the first photo i couldnt really even notice the spacecraft.It just looks like a metal door looking out.Id maybe make more windows or define the spacecraft with some lighter colors.The other bright metall textures you use dont really macth your enviroment.

The spacecraft also looks to big/From the first photo you also cant really tell that its on a crane and it looks offscale to the landing ramp below which seems out of scale compared to the ship.

Theres alot of work in here but you just cnt see it its to dark and uncolorful.
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the crits guys. I'm gonna try lightening the scene up for the UDK version. It did come out quite dark. I'm gonna be working on the textures today, so hopefully I should have a few to show by the end of today.

Builder_Anthony: the landing pad is supposed to be for smaller craft, while the larger one is repaired from the crane. I know this looks a bit confused right now, so I might model a smaller ship if I get time. I don't really want to alter the scale of the ship, because it's already been UV'd and the texel resolution has been normalised with the scene.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hi, quick update:

I'm getting this weird shadow atrifact on some of my meshes. Any ideas what this is? It has a set of unique UVs for lightmaps.

2i0f6oi.jpg
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    increase the light-map size in the meshes properties?
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think that's SSAO which can be adjusted in post processing. Looking forward to seeing the scene textured.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Small update here, thanks for the interest guys. I'm adjusting the SSAO to taste. The lightmaps were the issue! Thanks for helping to solve that for me.

Large update tomorrow!

2w39wlg.jpg

This is the star field / skybox, the stars twinkle in game :D
    Not sure how much further I should take this, think it looks pretty much fine for my purposes, plus I have around *gulp* 50 meshes to texture in about a week.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Sorry I failed to update this thread, the last few weeks have been really intense and I'm only now pulling myself together after a massive work binge. I finished this a few days ago. I'm probably going to be updating it at some stage, so crits etc are most welcome. Also, thanks very much to everyone who helped and participated in this thread. Very much appreciated.

I hope this image isn't stupidly large and breaks some tables and offends some folks! let me know if there's a problem mods please.

iojl35.png
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
    hell of an update haha.
    great work so far. the station looks so much better than when you had it in 3dsmax. the texture quality is more crisp, the lighting feels more natural, and it just plain looks cool. nice job :)
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Looks much better I think their are too many stars may be remove some and add a galixy or nebula
    nice work though keep it up
  • Contrails
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great! I love the lighting... contrasts very nicely with the setting sun.

I'm going to echo that the stars seem overdone - maybe also reduce the texture scale (in addition to removing some)?
  • popngear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the lighting and image is a little flat. However, it should be easy to fix as you definitely have enough geo/elements to create some depth. The biggest problem I see is that the opening to the landing bay is the pretty much the same tone/colour as the elements behind it. I would really kick up the lighting there to seperate the two. This actually applies to a lot of the scene come to think of it; A lot of the shapes are getting lost unfortunately. Try using the light to bring out the silhouettes of all your objects to create more interest :) Hope that helps.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the crits guys! I'll work on muting the stars and I'll try to improve the lighting :)

Here's a paintover of some prospective changes.
    ounjvt.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Looks lovely overall. :)

Not sure of the realism level you're going for, but stars shouldn't twinkle in outer space. :) the twinkle we see is due to atmospheric distortion of the light as our atmosphere changes and moves.

But hey if it looks cool and you're going for that sci-fantasy look then keep it.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hello again Polycounters! Updates to the lighting scheme ahoy!
    23mx9jm.jpg

I've tried to open this up with more lights, which will hopefully allow you to see the forms better. Bloom, DOF and colour correction have been tweaked too. I've added a character whose form you can see on the ship wing. strangely though, he's not casting a shadow on the wing, though a dynamic spotlight is focused on him. If you have any crits or comments, I sincerely welcome them.

• toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    A few thoughts on your environment. The spots with red x's are taking my eye off of the important elements of the image. The shuttle and explosion or sun thing are the focus. Turning down the brightness could really help this.

Also I am assuming the back of the shuttle should be in shadow? The flat orange is feels odd to me.

Also I added a force field thing to the bay opening. you know to keep the space out when needed haha. Keep it up.

shuttle_paintover.jpg
  • Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    I'd like to second Toxic's suggestion of a force field, I think it would greatly improve the design of everything. Not only is there the practical side of keeping everybody from dying a painful space-death, breaks up the image and adds a lot of structure to the composition, helping to make a lot more sense of whats going on. I would use a very low opacity shield, though.
  • SnaFuBAR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would really consider some other placement for the ship. i couldn't tell it was a ship/there.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think previous lighting looked lot better, which was too sharp and contrasty, bu had nice warm vs cool color scheme. This one is kind of random.

Why don't you define key light first, decide it's characteristics (warm, cool, diffused, sharp) and use it as unifying element that ties everything together and gives nice light/shadow separation. Then add those sharp spotlights selectively to fill ambient or add accents here and there.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Hello again everyone, sorry it's been a while. I've updated the scene with the suggested changes of the space shield. Thanks for doing that paintover toxic_h2o, my first ever :D

2uoopjk.jpg

I'll look into modifying the lighting this week. Here's a modular section bonus shot to keep things a bit more interesting. Thanks very much for the crits and comments. :)

2q060rb.jpg
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    sry, all I've got is FUGGIN AY. Dope.

There is a lot of tiling in the scene as a whole, but that's one of the sci fi aspects done so well here. At the same time, I do feel is was broken up a bit more. Worst offender easily being the second image where composition is poor with no focal point and tiling everywhere making you go crazy.

Love the lighting.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    While I'm working elsewhere in the scene, I thought I'd upload this high-res image of the environment. Sometimes I wish I was an astronaut. :)

space.jpg
  • DOG-GY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DOG-GY polycounter lvl 12
    It looks like it should be amazing but there's no place to rest the eye and your recent pictures have been really grainy and blurry, making it hard to focus on anything naturally.

You need to get clearer images or change your lighting and remove post processing. It's hard to tell which is the real culprit though.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    DOG-GY wrote: »
    It looks like it should be amazing but there's no place to rest the eye and your recent pictures have been really grainy and blurry, making it hard to focus on anything naturally.

You need to get clearer images or change your lighting and remove post processing. It's hard to tell which is the real culprit though.

I second third and fourth this, one thing that is crucial is details and how they lead the eye, it's obvious that from this camera angle that the scenes focal point is in fact the light coming over the planet, that forcefeild obscures that and makes it just look damn cluttered, the level of detail and distractions is too great.

Remember, less is more. For example,you have lights all over the place, they just clutter the scene, the high frequency of detail in the textures is distracting, you need to pick and choose what does and doest, just like a photo, there need to be focal points.

The materials seem very similar, and lacking interest, for example the ship holder thing, looks exactly like the ship, I didn't even see it, make the ship out of smoother metals, make it more reflective and brighten up the scene a bit. The same goes for object placement, think hard about composition, unless it's for playing, the feel of this image and scene is important.

The planet is awesome, but rememeber, those stars are SO dense and distracting, it detracts from the focal point that is the planet.

Overall I'd say just work on the textures some more and spend more time on them.