Home Technical Talk

Fake Eye Refraction for Viewport.

Scruples
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Scruples polycounter lvl 10
This is something I have been sitting on for a while.

Fake eye refraction for viewport,

eyeballrefraction.jpg

Some people should be able to understand what is going on at a glance but
for the people that don't.

To get the fake refractive lens I took the dome that is indented into the eye (Iris), froze the normals and inverted its shape before reversing the faces.
This way when BackFace Culling is turned on I only see the Fake Refractive lens at the more extreme angles, and by freezing the normals it will mirror the Iris in the way it reacts to light.

The Cornea is just a disc floating between the 2 domes of the Fake Refractive lens and the Iris, if it is placed on the Iris it will disappear at high angles and be less realistic.

I have also uploaded a Maya scene file containing the eyeball so anyone using Maya can take a look at it. [maya 2009+]

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RDKAQYOB

I am sure this can be accomplished on a sphere with a shader but until someone makes one for the viewport this is how I will make my eyes.

It is 1260 triangles an eye but I wasn't trying to optimize....even so I think the lowest one may get would be around 150-200 triangles using this method....so def not low-poly.

another picture, shows the different components and the difference, with and without the fake refraction lens

eyeballrefraction2.jpg

Replies