Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Brendan

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Brendan polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone. My name's Brendan and I'm a game design student, though I'm looking to beef up my 3d skills so I can rip through a lot of game concepts easier.

I started using Maya to model stuff maybe 10 months ago, but I've been using AutoCAD, Viz, Revit, Solidworks and Inventor for years.

A while ago I made this for a design competition, in AutoCAD.
designcompquickviews.png
But, being AutoCAD, it was fairly useless for what I do, so I'm remaking it in Maya.

My targets are 30k tris and 2x 1024 diffuse/normal/spec. I've started unwrapping some parts, but it's slow because it keeps evolving as I go.

Eventually, once those are done and I get the LODs done and everything else done, it's going to go into RFactor 2 and (insert Simbin title here). Currently the budget for cars in-game is about 45k + 2x1024 diffuse/normal/spec, as seen in the Formula Masters in Race On (field of 24). So I should be nicely under that, thanks to the cleaner shape of this car compared to the normal formula cars.
topside3.png
test4.png
test5.png
underside1.png

I've got to finish off the front wing assembly. It needs another brace right down the middle, and another pair of winglets off the inside of the endplates.

Then, I can get onto animating it (the two outside bits of the front wing bend down closer to the track, stalling the air underneath to improve aero).

Once I've finished that, one of my other projects is a re-creation of the "El Nino" from Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit. If you've played it, you may remember this car being a billion miles per hour faster than that Ferrari you were in...

GMIElNinoX-8.jpg

Another few things I've got going is some texturing for a uni Final Project, as well as two other games I'm working on. Hopefully I can get some shots up of those wip's soon. Sea monster and submarine modeling is hard :(

Anyway, feedback, etc welcome.

Replies