Home General Discussion

"Lucasfilm settles antitrust case over wage suppression of top animators"

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
daphz polycounter lvl 13
My mom just emailed me this article; and I thought you guys would find it interesting too.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/1221/Lucasfilm-settles-antitrust-case-over-wage-suppression-of-top-animators

here's the gist of it:
According to federal officials, Lucasfilm had entered an agreement with Pixar that neither company would try to hire away each other’s employees. The companies also agreed to notify each other when making a job offer to an employee of the other company, and that when offering such a job, not to counteroffer with compensation above the initial offer.

Replies

• Mezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mezz polycounter lvl 8
    Soooooo if I'm understanding correctly...

I'll never find myself as a highly sought after digital animatior in a bidding war between Lucasfilm and Pixar for my leet skillz?

lol But seriously, sounds interesting, though I'm a bit confused by the term 'anticompetitive". Somehow it sounds like any oxymoron to me.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Sad to hear about this crap.

But then again, we have salary collusion with the game industry here in Montreal, so it's not like it's much better.

Doubtful the Quebec government would ever step in.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    Mezz wrote: »
    lol But seriously, sounds interesting, though I'm a bit confused by the term 'anticompetitive". Somehow it sounds like any oxymoron to me.

It's so two companies get a better deal. Say for instance Casio and Yamaha agree on set prices for certain kinds of keyboards, then they're safe knowing they won't undercut eachother and they can both get high profit for their products. Lucas and Pixar agreed not to offer more money to a person to swing the candidate to their side.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    the EU would probably sue them for this :D