Home Technical Talk

Multiple Texture Plates

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
Hey there everybody,

I'm fairly new here and I'm a little lost, so I hope I'm posting this in the proper place.

I have a question about textures for in game models. I'm trying to make a fairly simple demo of a 3D side scroller and I wanted to get the most out of my textures so for some of my characters I have multiple UV sheets. One for faces, one for clothes, etc.

I guess what I'm wondering is, is this possible and if so how do I link them in something like UDK or Source? I still haven't managed to import a textured mesh at all to be honest, and I'm a little worried I'm going to have to merge everything on my character to one sheet.

This is what I'm talking about:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_X8YQhhj1wfg/TQm9KAVeFiI/AAAAAAAAANI/yukpDRUuqsA/s1600/PirateUVs.jpg

This is how it looks on the model
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_X8YQhhj1wfg/TQm9ThkiI8I/AAAAAAAAANY/8_E7TFbz7Mw/s1600/Capt.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone.

Replies

• Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When they're exported, both UDK and Source will create a "slot" for the material to be put into.

With Source, the material is hard-wired to the name of the texture you had on the model.

With UDK, each material gets a slot that you can build a material for and link it up (I believe they're imported alphabetically depending on the material name?).

The process for setting up the material differs again. Both engines have developer communities/wikis that will explain the process. Google'll help you there.

In short;
    Give each part it's own material and it should all work out fine.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    If I'm understanding you right, what you're asking about is Material IDs. You give different areas different Material ID number, and you can then assign a different material (and hence a different texture) to those IDs.
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you for your responses.

So all I have to do is tell the program what material is attached to what mesh? Seems simple enough. What do you usually export your models out as? I know it's probably different depending on whether or not the material is going to be a static mesh or a complex character rig. I've searched the wikis but there doesn't seem to be a straight forward answer.

Thanks again for the help.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, for Source, you need a proprietary file format (.smd). For which there are exporters for most 3D packages.

UDK uses collada, fbx and it's own proprietary .ASE format. Again, exporters for most 3D apps out there.

Really, google will answer all of this. There are lots of tutorials for both Source and UDK.
  • 8-Bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8-Bit polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks Talon.
    I will keep searching for more answers as problems arise. I have managed to learn quite a bit from searching the web, however it's some times easier to get answers straight from people who know. You've been a tremendous help and I'm already feeling a bit more confident.