Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snow Mountain - WIP - UDK

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
cow1787 polycounter lvl 12
This is a continuation of the side scroller beat-em-up challenge I started but failed to finish.
I completely changed the look of it though.

MS_01_Forest.jpg
MS_02_Valley.jpg
MS_03_SparkleSparkle.jpg
MS_04_SnowFall.jpg

As good of quality that I could get
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oj_Z4fu4_aA&hd=1[/ame]

The end will be some farms, and then a small village to the right.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the forest, and really like the sunset to night transition mid-way through. However, it's VERY dark. Dark tot he point that all detail is really just silhouette. Mid-ground lighting would help show-off the work you put into this.
  • Striff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Striff polycounter lvl 18
    Can't really it because I can't see anything since it's too dark.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    it looks a lot better in motion than it does in the stills. like others have said its way too dark, a super saturated sun and a decently saturated ambient that is a cooler color would help it look more sunset. raise the ambient by 20% or so atleast.

some rocks or fallen logs with snow on the tops of them could really help break up the terrain, right now it looks like snow and trees. having more organic elements in there would really help it I think. some particles of slowly falling snow or wind blowing snow off the trees could help add some depth to the scene as well.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    good start
    IMO needs:
    -snow blends between tree and snow, some snow around base (maybe even down one side when its really cold and it sticks to the side of the trunk) and pile the terrain snow up around objects like trees a bit more
    - the sun light needs to actually cast a rim light
    - possibly atach a light to the character
    - up the ambient
    - more details like twigs etc
    - more variation in the snow terrain, flat/soft, icy, footprints, tyre treads, etc
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    It really does look better in motion!

As everyone else has said it's too dark and this monitor is on maximum brightness.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But why isn't he beating-up anyone? :<

Now, srsly, the most striking think IMO is the ground - pretty flat and uninteresting.
    Also seconding SHEPEIRO.
  • cow1787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you do the advanced vertex painting on speedtree trees? I would like to do what SHEPEIRO said if I can

Lighting is my priority now it seems

@uncle- I don't know how to make enemies yet. it's just an environment for now

thank you guys, i will be doing a lot of work this weekend
  • cow1787
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been trying to fix the lighting mainly, any better? Also tweaked terrain some. The sparkles have disappeared some how though

Pics then Video again...make sure to view at 720, still looks darker than pictures

MS_01_Forest02.jpg
    MS_02_Valley02.jpg
    MS_03_SparkleSparkle02.jpg
    MS_04_SnowFall02.jpg
    MS_05_FarmField02.jpg

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCo6SrXPL5k&amp;hd=1[/ame]

If it's not horrible, I'll start adding a few more details in spots that you've all mentioned...
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    I really like the aesthetic you seem to be going for here. IMO: The sunset lighting could use a soft directional from above set to the color of the sky, and the rim light everyone here mentioned form the sun still the dominant light.

I don't think it needs to show off all the characters details if this takes place if the game has levels with varied lighting. For instance: if this level goes to night and your rim changes to the moon above.